Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Didn't know him, but Al's were always my favorite articles, must read from first word to last.

R.I.P.

Al Featherston

Al was a fraternity brother of mine at Duke back in the 1960's. He and I played a LOT of hearts, spades, and bridge back then. I last saw Al at a fraternity reunion in Durham a few years ago (2015?). He wowed us all with his knowledge, stats, and stories. He was a great guy...and this is a great loss.

RIP... I didn't know that he was Olympic Fan. I bookmarked the civil war thread from the off topic board largely because of Olympic Fan's contributions. He was a treasure trove of knowledge who seemed extremely kindhearted... he will be missed.

Really sorry to hear of the loss of Olympic Fan...he was a dedicated and passionate Duke fan and great contributor to the community. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

Regardless, if it was Al or Oly, I enjoyed and learned from the insight.

For that I'm grateful.

Hud

So very sad for his family and the Durham/Duke/DBR community. He will be greatly missed. Prayers and condolences to his family. It's difficult enough recovering from open heart surgery but when you add ALS or any other serious/severe/relentless disease, it's devastating.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Very sad news to hear of his passing, and it feels like a double gut-punch to learn that we have lost Olympic Fan as well. He will be missed.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Although I did not know him, as a member of the DBR community I feel diminished. From what I have read here, he is admired and appreciated. His legacy is well established and his life was full of experiences and learned knowledge which he shared with others, both as a living and as a hobby. Godspeed.

I first read Al as a student and a subscriber to the Durham Sun in the 70s. I always enjoyed and appreciated his work both in newspapers and at DBR (articles and OF posts). I would love it if someone would link some particularly great articles and posts from down through the years. I would love to read them again.

I remember seeing him at a Duke game a couple of years ago telling my daughter "that's Al Featherston!" For me it was like seeing JJ Redick walking past me. He was a legendary voice.

He was the best. This is sad news.

Prayers to Al's family and all of us at DBR. JD's article on the front page is also a must read just like all of Al's articles.

Irreplaceable Al Featherston is gone. An impeccable researcher and writer of factual, fun reports. I cancelled my Durham paper subscription the day those idiots fired him. They broke the mold after that one.
    Love, Ima

Wow... read him in the H-S in the 90s and always noticed him at the games. One of those people you unthinkingly assume will always be there. R.I.P.

Al was a treasure. Fantastic mind and writer.

I wish I had a story, anecdote, or experience to contribute beyond I was an avid reader and enjoyed all Al’s work.

I definitely did not know he was Olympic Fan.

Rest in peace, Al. Your contributions to both the Duke and ACC are a historic legacy that will echo into eternity.

Wow, this is a loss of some magnitude.

With the way journalism and newspapers are headed, we may not see another Al Featherston.

I hope the team has some recognition of Al's passing on their uniforms tomorrow night.

Rest in peace, sir.

I was at Duke the same time as Al. I didn’t know him but I was an avid reader of The Chronicle, so I read him. Then long before the internet those of us who lived a long distance from Durham could subscribe to a weekly sports section of the Herald Sun. Not sure how long it lasted. See, I already need to ask Al. For those of us desperate for sports news of Duke it was the only option. So we got to read Chansky Dacencso and Al. Everyone knew Chansky was a Heel Homer. Al was the best. Like everyone else on this board when Al wrote an article it was the first thing you wanted to read. I loved them. If they were two pages long I always wished they had been three.

Bill Brill didn’t get to live to see Duke football become relative. Thankfully Al saw Duke become competitive across the board in sports. As a kid Al saw Duke field good football teams in the 50’s. As a student he saw Duke fall far under Tom Harp. Al saw the great 60’s basketball teams under Bubas. He witnessed the fall under Waters and then the resurgence under Foster. Then he witnessed the GOAT take Duke to the top. Thanks Al for the timely reporting along with the incisive history lessons. You will be long remembered by all of us.

To DBR please repost some of Al’s previous articles.

Al was an esteemed voter for the Biletnikoff Award. I tweeted the following:

Biletnikoff Award
    @biletnikoffawrd
    ·
    2m
    Esteemed, brilliant sports journalist & Biletnikoff Award voter Al Featherston died today. We will miss his profound insight & encyclopedic knowledge of sports (esp., the ACC) and bet he will be writing again soon in a better place. Rest in peace, Al.

Such a loss. Been reading here for years and years, even if I haven’t posted as much over the last years but I ALWAYS made sure to come check out Als work. Such a loss, but I am so glad we have so much of him still with us through his writing.

Btw, JD, lovely piece on the front page.