Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Al would have loved tonight's game.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Al would have loved tonight's game.
    I had that very thought during the game. It was very emotional for me then and still is now.

I lost another friend who was a life long Notre Dame fan - actually played Center for them in the early 50's (football). Robert lived for ND football. I get the same feeling for both Robert and Al. Notre Dame being undefeated and Duke whooping up on KY. It makes life so much more appreciated for me. They have to look down, I still get to look out...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I had that very thought during the game. It was very emotional for me then and still is now.

I lost another friend who was a life long Notre Dame fan - actually played Center for them in the early 50's (football). Robert lived for ND football. I get the same feeling for both Robert and Al. Notre Dame being undefeated and Duke whooping up on KY. It makes life so much more appreciated for me. They have to look down, I still get to look out...

Yep, same here... he would have really enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yep, same here... he would have really enjoyed that.
    As I get older and there are more and more of these passings, I get more and more thankful for each day and far more tolerant of that which is around me...

I know Cut’s quote was listed earlier, but here is the video:

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/sta...834101248?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Philsfan View Post
    So sad. I worked at the H-S from '01-06 on the news side. He was a legend. RIP, Feather.
    They got rid of him but kept that worthless pile of crap Frank what's-his-name.

^ Dascenzo. No love lost there, I can assure you.

Interesting in memoriam in the Cadillac News by Al's brother Mark Featherston.
    Apparently, Al found errors in Trivial Pursuit questions/answers and submitted
    corrections.
    All the best.
    BlueProfessor
    https://www.cadillacnews.com/obituar...9545ed344.html
    Last edited by blueprofessor; 11-08-2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Insert link

Bumped. Al would have loved this team. Can't let him disappear off the page yet

Bumping this back to the top. I was just thinking how bummed I am I didn't realize Al was Olympic Fan.

I would have liked to have read his thoughts on this year's basketball team...or Duke beating UNC in football for the third straight year.

I too was surprised to find that Al Featherston was Olympic Fan. Really admired Olympic Fan's off topic posts, especially those on the Civil War and the Pacific Theater in WWII. In honor of AL, I propose that DBR publish his remembrances of the ACC Tournament each year at the appropriate time. Those were gold to me as I witnessed Larry Brown and Art Heyman play in Raleigh in '63. Rest in peace AL Featherston.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    I too was surprised to find that Al Featherston was Olympic Fan. Really admired Olympic Fan's off topic posts, especially those on the Civil War and the Pacific Theater in WWII. In honor of AL, I propose that DBR publish his remembrances of the ACC Tournament each year at the appropriate time. Those were gold to me as I witnessed Larry Brown and Art Heyman play in Raleigh in '63. Rest in peace AL Featherston.
    Al tried really hard to keep the the fanatic separate from the professional journalist, and seemed to disdain those journalists who didn't.

-jk

I don't think the nasty words here about Dascenzo are necessary. The ailing newspaper industry made a lot of tough decisions in the 2000s, many of which were driven by fairly awful neoliberal incentive structures. Season V of The Wire dramatizes that situation aptly, albeit with too much David Simon snideness. It's possible to eulogize Featherston without taking it out on someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't think the nasty words here about Dascenzo are necessary. The ailing newspaper industry made a lot of tough decisions in the 2000s, many of which were driven by fairly awful neoliberal incentive structures. Season V of The Wire dramatizes that situation aptly, albeit with too much David Simon snideness. It's possible to eulogize Featherston without taking it out on someone else.
    For example, it is not clear the Denver Post will survive. The Rocky Mtn
    News is long gone. The Post has virtually no ads.

Small town papers seem to be doing OK in places.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    For example, it is not clear the Denver Post will survive. The Rocky Mtn
    News is long gone. The Post has virtually no ads.
    Oh wow, you should see the online version of the Post (I live in Bailey and cannot get good delivery service here). Sometimes I have to page through 7 or 8 full-page ads in a row. Amended to add: Dinosaur that I am, I will gladly page through those ads in order to continue to get a print-like online version of a newspaper. I cannot get used to reading news from online pages that are tailored to mobile users.

I'm very tardy to this, but I wanted to offer my deepest condolences to all that loved and learned from Al's writing.

I learned from Al's writing when I worked for The Chronicle, but all the more so in his longform writings for this website.

His ability to weave a tale, calling upon his encyclopedic knowledge of college basketball (among other things), never ceased to amaze...or make me exceedingly jealous.

As someone that persisted with sportswriting for a few years after college, Al was someone I admired and tried to learn from in terms of his style, and his willingness to employ his analytical skills, with whatever he was putting forth.

With his passing, a treasure is gone; we Duke fans are fortunate to have his writings that will enrich us for decades to come.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I'm very tardy to this, but I wanted to offer my deepest condolences to all that loved and learned from Al's writing.

I learned from Al's writing when I worked for The Chronicle, but all the more so in his longform writings for this website.

His ability to weave a tale, calling upon his encyclopedic knowledge of college basketball (among other things), never ceased to amaze...or make me exceedingly jealous.

As someone that persisted with sportswriting for a few years after college, Al was someone I admired and tried to learn from in terms of his style, and his willingness to employ his analytical skills, with whatever he was putting forth.

With his passing, a treasure is gone; we Duke fans are fortunate to have his writings that will enrich us for decades to come.
    Is there an archives section in the current version of DBR? Or am I just missing the tab somewhere?
    I had saved a couple of his articles -notably a review of the Texas Western-Kentucky Championship movie, Glory Road- but would love to see a Featherston repository for all DBR users.
    JStuart

The picture for today's front page story features the Feather front and center. Only he is slightly out of focus. About sports, Al was NEVER out of focus. Good to see him again at the old stand. If only . . .

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    The picture for today's front page story features the Feather front and center. Only he is slightly out of focus. About sports, Al was NEVER out of focus. Good to see him again at the old stand. If only . . .
    Buddy,
    You beat my post by a couple of minutes! Good catch. If only, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Do you see who is right next to him?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?