Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Chick Flicks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Raleigh NC

    Chick Flicks

    Ok GUYS, be honest, what is your favorite chick flick movie?
    Ladies, what is your favorite Guy Flick?

    My favorite chick flick is "Wedding Singer".

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Jerry McGuire...because it's a chick flick dressed in a sports movie.

  3. #3
    Godfather. I have no idea why, but it's one of my favorites.

    I also love Tora, Tora, Tora, and The Longest Day. Do those count as "Guy flicks"?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    I have been told that "Jeremiah Johnson" is a chick flick because it stars Robert Redford. I disagree and consider it the antidote to the chick flick.

    Generally my enjoyment of a chick flick is directly related to the chick. A couple of my favorite movies of this genre are "The Fabulous Baker Boys" and "Serendipity."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    favorite guy flicks

    Anything with Steve McQueen, ie Bullitt, Great Escape. And I actually thought Borat was hilarious. Not sure if that's considered a guy flick or not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    As Good as It Gets (1997) with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Worst Chick Flicks

    This begs the question of what are the worst chick flicks? I categorize these as "A Clockwork Orange" bad, in that you would have to tie me down and force my eyes open to make me watch it from start to finish. For me they include:

    Out of Africa
    A River Runs Through It
    Steel Magnolias
    Age of Innocence
    You've Got Mail
    Dirty Dancing

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    "When Harry Met Sally" is the best chick flick ever made.
    At least, that's what I've heard.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    This begs the question of what are the worst chick flicks? I categorize these as "A Clockwork Orange" bad, in that you would have to tie me down and force my eyes open to make me watch it from start to finish. For me they include:

    Out of Africa
    A River Runs Through It
    Steel Magnolias
    Age of Innocence
    You've Got Mail
    Dirty Dancing
    Gee, you picked all of my favorits...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore
    Love Actually was actually pretty good.

  11. #11
    Bull Durham
    ~rthomas

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Love Actually was actually pretty good.
    ditto on this. I usually like movies with Hugh Grant (About a Boy, 4 Weddings, Sense and Sensibility), though some of them are downright awful (Music and Lyrics and American Dreamz - though that might be because they're not British movies) . I must add that I am shallow, and refuse to watch chick flicks without a hot girl I saw The Notebook for this reason and was not disappointed.

    -- added later --
    I have a friend who is convinced Rocky I is a chick flick (and he has a point), and I'd add that to the list of chick flicks I liked
    Last edited by hc5duke; 10-30-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: rocky

  13. #13
    I know that I'm in trouble when my wife starts looking through the movie section but, in reality, I enjoy 80% of the movies that she drags me off to see. Off the top of my head, some favorites include:

    Annie Hall
    Titanic
    Chicago
    Phantom of the Opera (never saw the play)
    Pride and Prejudice
    A River Runs Through

    gw67

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    A River Runs Through It

    gw67
    Dude, this movie's about fishing. That means it simply cannot be a chick flick. It is, however, excellent.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West of The Mississippi
    Thelma and Louise --- My late Mom's favorite, hence it holds sentimental value for me.

    Kill Bill --- Part 2 may have been better than the original. Great action flicks.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Love Actually was actually pretty good.
    Oh fudge, how could I forget Love Actually?!
    Yes, that is my other favorite, for the record and all

  17. #17
    Wilson, I understand where you are coming from. I called it a chick flick because my wife dragged me to see it and she loved the story of the two brothers. Probably didn't hurt that one of them was a young Brad Pitt. I enjoyed the story and the outdoor scenes in Montana were spectacular. Every couple of years, my family would visit my aunt, uncle and cousins on their small ranch near Billings and the movie brought back good memories.

    gw67

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ashburn, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Love Actually was actually pretty good.
    Also my favorite chick-flick (and one of only two romantic comedies I enjoy).

    I believe this thread topic came up several months ago, because I remember posting how I like Love Actually - unless it's just some crazy deja vu.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    I think I'll have to go with 4 Weddings and a Funeral. I'm alright with my wife dragging me off to movies, this weekend it looks like we'll see No Country for Old Men and American Gangster. I can handle both of those.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West of The Mississippi

    Also...

    Mystic Pizza, with a young (Duke grad) Annabeth Gish

    Just looked it up on IMDB and Gish was only 17 at the time, so I guess she wasn't yet a Duke grad.
    But she received top billing over Julia Roberts. (1988 movie release.)

Similar Threads

  1. Free Chick-Fil-A?
    By bjornolf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 02:37 PM
  2. Favorite Flicks of Summer
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •