Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

FB: Duke 20, Miami 12

Well, I'll start the thread if nobody else will.

Anybody else braving the cold 75 degree weather forecast for Saturday evening? (It's one of three ACC stadiums I haven't been to, so I set up a trip back in May. Have to wait a while for FSU and BC.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread.

Duke is currently an eight points underdog with the Over/Under set at 51:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

It is time to bounce back.
    Bob Green

Hopefully, memories and performances from Northwestern and Baylor will be recalled and duplicated instead of Pittsburgh.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A night game against Miami around Halloween ...

Touchdown underdog on the road. We've got them just where we want them.

LGD!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    A night game against Miami around Halloween ...
    Too soon.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Too soon.
    ...it will be too soon as long as I live...and years after that too...not to rub it in, but that game cost us about 2-3 more - I believe. The Duke program might've been in an entirely different place now if they'd have been able to put another killer season in the books...the 13-14-15 run would've been really great. It's a corner we didn't turn.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...it will be too soon as long as I live...and years after that too...not to rub it in, but that game cost us about 2-3 more - I believe. The Duke program might've been in an entirely different place now if they'd have been able to put another killer season in the books...the 13-14-15 run would've been really great. It's a corner we didn't turn.
    I will never get over the Miami game either, but I don't think we were beating UNC in 2015 regardless. They had a damn good team that year. VT 2014 arguably eats away at me more because had we won that, we were assured a spot in the ACC title game for the second straight year.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsforlife View Post
    I will never get over the Miami game either, but I don't think we were beating UNC in 2015 regardless. They had a damn good team that year. VT 2014 arguably eats away at me more because had we won that, we were assured a spot in the ACC title game for the second straight year.
    I can agree that in 2015, by the time our game with the Cheats came around, they were playing better than Duke was...even though 4-5 games into the season, that was not the case. They were good late that season, real good.

And yes, Virginia Tech 2014 was a bad loss....Duke favored, at home...of course. That NEVER works out.

Coach Cutcliffe press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=6295733

1. You can't have a hangover.
    2. On tackling...live work today, best on best, pure scrimmage and you cringe as a coach when you do that.
    3. On turnovers (Duke hasn't forced a turnover in four of last five games)...you fix it through emphasis. It has to become important to everyone to create turnovers.
    4. You have to win the 4th quarter.

Lots more info in there those are just a few comments that stuck out to me.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe press conference:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=6295733

1. You can't have a hangover.
    2. On tackling...live work today, best on best, pure scrimmage and you cringe as a coach when you do that.
    3. On turnovers (Duke hasn't forced a turnover in four of last five games)...you fix it through emphasis. It has to become important to everyone to create turnovers.
    4. You have to win the 4th quarter.

Lots more info in there those are just a few comments that stuck out to me.
    Nobody does the "we just have to go back to work" press conference as well as Cut. It's really polished at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Nobody does the "we just have to go back to work" press conference as well as Cut. It's really polished at this point.
    Is that to be understood admirably, snarkily, or both?

Is that to be understood admirably, snarkily, or both?
    lol c'mon, Cutcliffe really has polished the art of coachspeak at this point.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

I know lots are concerned about injuries, but I thought we'd gotten to the point that we had much improved depth.?? Not having forced a TO in 4 of last 5 games is, well, mindblowing, to me...it's hard not to have something fall or tipped your way.

UVA beat UM and so did BC; why not Duke? Open up the offense more and get the wideouts more stickem (kidding). Execute, tackle, win!! GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    And yet, Cut is as genuine as they come, and has achieved all he has in life by continually putting one foot in front of the other, and not getting distracted, and maintaining focus in the face of setbacks. That's exactly the stick-to-it-tiveness that brought us out of the abyss. Yes, he engages in coachspeak some, and uses hyperbole some, but just as there is truth in cliches, there can be genuinely good fundamental advice in some coachspeak.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post

Anybody else braving the cold 75 degree weather forecast for Saturday evening? (It's one of three ACC stadiums I haven't been to, so I set up a trip back in May. Have to wait a while for FSU and BC.)
    I will be there. Also, there is an informal Duke South Florida Tailgate:

DUKE VS. UM - Sat. 7:00 PM
    Come to the DUKE BLUE DEVIL Pre-Game Tailgate party in the ORANGE NORTH lot. If you need game tickets, you can buy through StubHub or go to this link to buy through Duke -
    https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTickets.dbml…
    I will be setting up a tent in the ORANGE NORTH lot around 5 PM. Feel free to call me or text me (305-790-8921) if you plan to stop by for the pre-game festivities and I will share the exact location once set up. Bring your own food / beverage.
    GO DUKE!
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Jim Sumner article on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...y-acc-football

David Cutcliffe isn’t ready to acknowledge that Duke has taken next-man-up as far as it can go.

““It’s called youth. You can’t give up gaps. You have to be consistent with your stance. The explanation for the game is that we just didn’t get it done. There were lots of corrections [in practice today] as you might imagine...my focus right now is getting the people that I know will be there Saturday ready. People who are healthy and practicing should get better.”
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Indeed. I know I'm now qualified to his weekly "injury report."

And yet, Cut is as genuine as they come, and has achieved all he has in life by continually putting one foot in front of the other, and not getting distracted, and maintaining focus in the face of setbacks. That's exactly the stick-to-it-tiveness that brought us out of the abyss. Yes, he engages in coachspeak some, and uses hyperbole some, but just as there is truth in cliches, there can be genuinely good fundamental advice in some coachspeak.
    I don't disagree with any of that....but I will say that one of the things I liked best about Spurrier is that he did not ever use coach speak...other than 'ole ball coach" speak, which is different. I have relationships to both Duke and SC, so it was fun to have him coach both of those...(he was much better as Duke coach). It was odd to see people complain about coach cliches on the one hand, and yet take offense at Spurrier when he refused to do that.

Of course, one of the better FB coaches in this area in the last several decades was Jim Grobe, and his pressers were a total root canal of banal coach speak cliches.

Coach Cut is definitely a genuine man, but any discussion about the team itself is about as opaque as possible (which is obviously not the same as dishonest, which he certainly isn't).