Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My understanding is that Duke would not accept a bid to the WNIT.
    What is the reasoning for that? Hopefully not a matter of pride. I could understand curtailing the risk of injury.
    However, even though it is not the NCAAs, if the team earns the right to go, they shouldn't be robbed of that opportunity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What is the reasoning for that? Hopefully not a matter of pride. I could understand curtailing the risk of injury.
    However, even though it is not the NCAAs, if the team earns the right to go, they shouldn't be robbed of that opportunity.
    Only nine healthy players.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Then, per my injury remark, that would make sense and I'm guessing that it's reasoning the team would get behind.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Does that mean they would skip the ACC tournament if the ACC would let them?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Does that mean they would skip the ACC tournament if the ACC would let them?
    Now, now.

Duke declined a WNIT bid back in 2016, with injuries the rationale.

If I had a team with two freshmen and two sophomores in my top seven, I would want them to get extra practices and games.

But that's just me. And perhaps a win or two in Greensboro would change the thinking.

The ACC tourney is now set, and Duke is the 11th seed.
    They will play 14th seed Pitt at 6:30 this Wednesday.

If they win, they will face 6th seed FSU at 8:00 on Thursday. If they get so lucky as to win two, they face NCSU on Friday.

Now, now.

Duke declined a WNIT bid back in 2016, with injuries the rationale.

If I had a team with two freshmen and two sophomores in my top seven, I would want them to get extra practices and games.

But that's just me. And perhaps a win or two in Greensboro would change the thinking.
    would make sense, wouldn't it.

Is there video of Janelle Bailey learning that "tutors" are no longer writing term papers for athletes at UNCheat?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Is there video of Janelle Bailey learning that "tutors" are no longer writing term papers for athletes at UNCheat?
    Is anyone outside of UNC comfortable saying that tutors are no longer writing term papers for athletes? We know they're comfortable with any lie that keeps them from harm, and student/athletes missing games is very harmful indeed.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I agree with others that not playing in the WNIT is stupid. These girls need to play together as much as possible. It's at least 2 extra weeks of practice. I also think it's a bad look (snobs). We're not worthy of that attitude at the moment.

Another nice perk from today's game...it probably knocked uNC out of any chance at the NCAAs. They had a good week mid-season when they beat top-5 Notre Dame (#1 at the time) and top-10 NCState, but I don't believe they have any other good wins. Getting smacked around by us twice this year doesn't help their argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Congrats to the Duke women on sweeping the Heels. Except for a short lapse early in the fourth quarter that allowed UNC to go on a 7-0 run and narrow the lead to 9 before making a nice recovery, the Blue Devils played with commendable energy, focus, and awareness. Here's hoping they can maintain that level of performance and make some noise at the ACC Tournament that will give the team a positive boost going forward into next season.
    Concur.

According to the female Lunardi, UNC was a nine seed going into today. i know nothing about the potential field, but that must mean the Tar Heels are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    According to the female Lunardi, UNC was a nine seed going into today. i know nothing about the potential field, but that must mean the Tar Heels are safe.
    I guess Duke will just have to beat them again in the tournament. Say what you will about Coach P, but she knows how to beat the cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Getting smacked HARD around by us twice this year doesn't help their argument.
    They lost their argument today.

Today they looked like a basketball team. Other than leaving Church a few times early, they played really good defense. Odom was terrific with the ball, but for some reason she stopped hunting her shot in the second half, until the very end. Unc had no answer for her sweet mid-range jumper, which was there all night long. 22 points on 9-14 shooting (no 3s attempted) is really good. But she should have taken more. We ran the 2-on-1 fast break to perfection and executed some give and go plays. Caught the ball and made baskets. Amazing.

Thanks to Bailey I was reminded that unc remains the "fighting Sylvias". Bailey was yapping at the officials the entire game and had to be warned several times. She is a good player but needs immediate help with anger management. Sylvia was remarkably restrained today and even her couture was less abominable than usual. I know they played without Stephanie Watts in this game and Paris Kea in the first game, but we played without Kyra Lambert and Mikayla Boykin in both. Akinbode-James had another good game. She has little offense but is becoming a terror on the boards.

Goodchild struggled and made two freshman errors late in the game. After missing a 3 with about 3 to play she caught the rebound and immediately jacked up another, which also missed. Coach P had a frank conversation with her about the value of time in that circumstance. And at the final buzzer she jacked one up from 30 feet which also missed. I know it's unc and all but that was not a good look. Winners of 10 of the last 11 against the cheats we can afford to look like we've been there. Looks like she is more concerned with her records than the team's performance. I certainly hope not.

It looks like the game has really slowed down for Williams over the last couple of weeks. She’s making better decisions and finishing plays. I like the big lineup with her and Akinbode-James on the floor together.

The Chronicle: Duke women's basketball completes regular season sweep of North Carolina on Senior Day
    By Spencer Levy | 03/03/2019
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-on-senior-day

The Chronicle: Duke women's basketball led by Jade Williams' aggressive play in victory
    By Shane Smith | 03/03/2019
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...lay-in-victory

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Today they looked like a basketball team. Other than leaving Church a few times early, they played really good defense. Odom was terrific with the ball, but for some reason she stopped hunting her shot in the second half, until the very end. Unc had no answer for her sweet mid-range jumper, which was there all night long. 22 points on 9-14 shooting (no 3s attempted) is really good. But she should have taken more. We ran the 2-on-1 fast break to perfection and executed some give and go plays. Caught the ball and made baskets. Amazing.
    Coach P on Neah playing point guard often recently:
    “Well, Neah has been our point guard. I don’t want to redirect your question, but there have been times where she’s gone off ball, but if you’re looking at what we’ve been trying to do, she’s been incredible relative to the point guard spot. But I think you’re making an interesting point about the way the game was controlled with Neah as the point guard. What I’m saying is no one else really had to run anything. Neah had it under control. I think that’s the point you’re making, and I think it’s a legitimate point, is that we’re in a great spot when Neah has the ball, is making decisions, and is running the floor.”

When Odom just took the ball one-on-one from the wing or the high post, she was lethal. She can break down so many players off the dribble and pull up for a shot in the paint. Her mid-range shot also looked good today (even a few of the misses looked like really good shot attempts).

She needs to clear out and just take players off the dribble more often. She also needs to work on extending the range to three. Even if she could make 33 percent of her attempts, being a threat from distance will serve her well in the pros (and will help Duke next year).

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    It looks like the game has really slowed down for Williams over the last couple of weeks. She’s making better decisions and finishing plays. I like the big lineup with her and Akinbode-James on the floor together.
    In two games against UNC, Duke has outscored the Heels in points in the paint, 80-38.
    In two games against UNC, Duke has outscored the Heels in terms of second chance points, 25-12.
    In two games against UNC, Jade Williams has totaled 28 points and 20 rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    In two games against UNC, Duke has outscored the Heels in points in the paint, 80-38.
    In two games against UNC, Duke has outscored the Heels in terms of second chance points, 25-12.
    In two games against UNC, Jade Williams has totaled 28 points and 20 rebounds.
    Sounds like another two games against the Sylvias during the postseason would be quite advantageous!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!