Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Heels are on a scary winning streak. #1 ND, and now #7 NCSU.
    Mildly surprising that they aren't ranked today, but they are essentially 27th. Vibes to our women that they keep them out of the top 25 for a while longer. GTHC
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Sometimes I wish she'd hunt her shot more, but maybe not doing so is what keeps her percentage so high.
    Goodchild has a slower release, which is to be expected of a freshman, so I am pleased to see that she is taking smart shots and hitting a high percentage of them. Her WNBL coach mentioned that the release speed would be something on which she would have to work upon entering college.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Goodchild has a slower release, which is to be expected of a freshman, so I am pleased to see that she is taking smart shots and hitting a high percentage of them. Her WNBL coach mentioned that the release speed would be something on which she would have to work upon entering college.
    She appears to have already worked on it. Granted, it's purely observational from my non-professional eye, but it seems to me that her release is already much faster than it was when she arrived. And the one time I saw her really revert to slow mechanics in the BC game, she was soundly blocked. None of that against Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    She appears to have already worked on it. Granted, it's purely observational from my non-professional eye, but it seems to me that her release is already much faster than it was when she arrived. And the one time I saw her really revert to slow mechanics in the BC game, she was soundly blocked. None of that against Pitt.
    I agree. I thought she had several amazingly quick releases yesterday.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I agree. I thought she had several amazingly quick releases yesterday.
    Miela had at least one catch, curl and shoot that really impressed me (hope I’m describing it adequately) and I agree she got the ball off quicker than I’d seen her before. It helped that their guards were shorter and a bit slower than other team’s guards.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Miela had at least one catch, curl and shoot that really impressed me (hope I’m describing it adequately) and I agree she got the ball off quicker than I’d seen her before. It helped that their guards were shorter and a bit slower than other team’s guards.
    UNC will be a much different challenge, with longer, more athletic players. Miela will have to make sure to effectively use screens and make sure her release is as quick.

The Heels are on a scary winning streak. #1 ND, and now #7 NCSU.

With the exception of Wolfpack Wes visiting Carmichael on 2/24, the UNCheaterettes will be playing the bottom of the ACC (yes sadly, that includes Duke - twice) from here on out.

So the Cheats could finish the ACC Regular Season on an 11-game winning streak heading into the ACC Tournament, dating back to their Win over Virginia Tech on 1/24. If so, they would finish the Regular Season at 21-9; 12-4 in the ACC - when will DWBB see such numbers again?

The Cheaterettes will be guaranteed at least one - if not two - Byes at the ACC Tournament, while DWBB will be playing on Wednesday. They will also be going to The Dance - ESPN Bracketologist Charlie Creme has them as the 8-Seed in the Greensboro Region - but if his Brackets hold they will have to get through #1 Baylor in Waco to get to Greensboro. Meanwhile, DWBB will be striving for an invite to the WNIT

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDad02 View Post
    If so, they would finish the Regular Season at 21-9; 12-4 in the ACC - when will DWBB see such numbers again?
    Who knows? Maybe next season? It's worth noting that last season, UNC was 4-12; 15-16 overall. Duke's record should be at least that good if not better this season, with everyone except Faith Suggs coming back plus a few decent recruits. So you never know.

I absolutely hate the negativity in DWBB threads.

Duke vs. UNC (@UNC): Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes (from the game notes at GoDuke.com)...

• Miela Goodchild ranks eighth nationally with a 47.1 three-point field goal percentage. She has the second-highest percentage by a freshman behind Virginia Tech’s Dara Mabrey (48.7).

• Haley Gorecki has averaged 22.0 points, 11.3 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 3.3 steals over last three games. Gorecki notched back-to-back double-doubles and then a triple-double versus Pitt.

• Miela Goodchild currently ranks third in the ACC with a 47.1 three-point field goal percentage and ninth with a 2.3 three-pointers per game average.

• Haley Gorecki’s 63 steals on the season ranks tied 15th nationally.

• Haley Gorecki leads the ACC for most double-doubles by a guard with six.

• Haley Gorecki scored 315 points over her first 37 games as a Blue Devil. So far this season in 21 games, she has scored 366 points.

• Faith Suggs leads the Blue Devils with eight charges taken on the season and 12 over her four year career. She has taken seven charges over the last 11 games.

• Duke’s Haley Gorecki, Syracuse’s Tiana Mangakahia and Notre Dame’s Jackie Young are the only players in the ACC to have a triple-double this season.

• Haley Gorecki and freshman Miela Goodchild have combined to drain 87 three-pointers on the season.

Duke vs. UNC (@UNC): Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes (from the game notes at GoDuke.com)...
    The Series with UNC (also from the game notes at GoDuke.com):

• Duke and North Carolina will meet for the 98th time in the series history with the Tar Heels leading the series, 50-47.
    • In games played in Chapel Hill, the Blue Devils have totaled a 14-28 mark, but have won three out of the last four. Last year, UNC came back and won a 92-86 overtime contest.
    • Overall, Duke has won eight out of the last nine games with the Tar Heels.
    • Coach P has totaled a 17-11 overall record versus North Carolina.

[*]Coach P has totaled a 17-11 overall record versus North Carolina.[/LIST]
    Of note, Joanne P. McCallie is 17-9 against UNC while at Duke (two of the losses were when she was the head coach at Maine).

Coach P's teams have won 8 out of the last 9 matchups with UNC. Going back to the beginning of the 2010-11 season, Coach P and Duke are 15-4 against the Tar Heels.

The Chronicle: Duke women's basketball will look to stop North Carolina's recent momentum in Chapel Hill

“They are a transition team,” McCallie said. “Regardless of who we play we must control the tempo. We must have the ball in our hands for a longer period of time, because frankly with eight players the only time you can rest is on offense. You can slow the ball down and we can play a great quarter-court game...without the three point guards it is a challenge because point guards kind of have that in their blood.”

I must admit to being a little confused by Coach P's comments.

There were 14 players on the roster at the beginning of the season. Craig was dismissed. Treece transferred. Lambert, Boykin, and Nwoke are out with injuries. That leaves nine players, by my count.

Second, the only time the team can rest is on offense? I understand wanting to slow the game down, but resting on offense?

The Chronicle: Duke women's basketball will look to stop North Carolina's recent momentum in Chapel Hill

“They are a transition team,” McCallie said. “Regardless of who we play we must control the tempo. We must have the ball in our hands for a longer period of time, because frankly with eight players the only time you can rest is on offense. You can slow the ball down and we can play a great quarter-court game...without the three point guards it is a challenge because point guards kind of have that in their blood.”

I must admit to being a little confused by Coach P's comments.

There were 14 players on the roster at the beginning of the season. Craig was dismissed. Treece transferred. Lambert, Boykin, and Nwoke are out with injuries. That leaves nine players, by my count.

Second, the only time the team can rest is on offense? I understand wanting to slow the game down, but resting on offense?
    Duke actually has a seven-player rotation; Gorecki, Odom, Williams, Goodchild, Akinbode-James, Suggs and Adams. Roma gets a place-holder minute here and there. Schubert only plays in blow-outs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I get that, and I wonder if we'll see a low scoring game from us because of it. I hope not. Hell, Haley played 50 minutes the other night.
    Resting on offense sure beats resting on defense.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke actually has a seven-player rotation; Gorecki, Odom, Williams, Goodchild, Akinbode-James, Suggs and Adams. Roma gets a place-holder minute here and there. Schubert only plays in blow-outs.
    Actually, having a certain number of players is not the same as having a seven-player rotation.

Actually, having a certain number of players is not the same as having a seven-player rotation.
    Clearly, when she said she only has eight players, she meant she had eight players she was willing to put into a competitive game. Coach K has said similar things in the past and it was pretty clear what he meant, too.

Clearly, when she said she only has eight players, she meant she had eight players she was willing to put into a competitive game. Coach K has said similar things in the past and it was pretty clear what he meant, too.
    If that's what he said and how he said it, that's disappointing. It's fine to talk about your rotation, but if you just use the word "players", you better have all of them in mind, IMO. Not cool, even from K, if true.

I get that, and I wonder if we'll see a low scoring game from us because of it. I hope not. Hell, Haley played 50 minutes the other night.
    Resting on offense sure beats resting on defense.
    Very true. Better to rest on offense than defense! LOL

UNC has an overall record of 14-9, with a 5-4 conference record. The Heels, winners of four straight games, are 8-2 in home contests.

These were the four ACC losses:
    • @Louisville, 73-66
    • Florida State, 64-63
    • @Syracuse, 90-77
    • @Miami, 76-68

A few patterns have emerged from the four ACC losses.

UNC's Three-Point Shooting
    • @Louisville: 5-26
    • Florida State: 6-18
    • @Syracuse: 7-4
    • @Miami: 9-31

UNC's First Quarter Deficits
    • @Louisville: 21-11
    • Florida State: 20-14
    • @Syracuse: 32-25
    • @Miami: 27-8

In its recent four-game win streak (@Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, @NC State), UNC has performed much better in the first quarter of games. And in three of the games (NC State being the exception), the team has been lights out from three. For these four games, UNC has shot a combined 37-91 (40.659 percent) from three.

For Duke, the first key will be making sure the first quarter is a strong start, to put UNC in an early hole. In addition, while UNC has been hot from three during its four-game win streak, Duke is only allowing ACC opponents to shoot 31.2 percent from distance (nine conference games).

And finally, it will be interesting to see how Duke's defense performs in terms of ball pressure. UNC leads the ACC with the fewest turnovers per game average - 10.8 - and has only committed 97 turnovers in nine conference games. On the other hand, Duke is third in the ACC in steals per contest (9.8 per game). Being able to pressure ballhandlers, overplay passing lanes, etc. could hopefully lead to runouts and some easy fast break points.

Clearly, when she said she only has eight players, she meant she had eight players she was willing to put into a competitive game.
    My comment was directed to Jim Sumner, who had referenced a seven-player rotation, when McCallie said "eight players."

My comment was directed to Jim Sumner, who had referenced a seven-player rotation, when McCallie said "eight players."
    McCallie has nine healthy players, eight of whom might play in a competitive game, seven of whom will play major minutes in a competitive game.

Of all the things to get into a snizzy about, McCallie's implied dissing of her ninth player seems pretty small change to me.

That's the way coaches talk.