Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    For DWBB's next home game, this Thursday, fans are invited to the Champions Club pre-game for craft beer. I'll let the board know if the team looks better through beer sodden eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Just a note that tickets are $15 for the event, or $7 for season ticket holders. Tickets must be ordered in advance.
    I'll guess that buddy gets his money's worth, one way or the other (or both ).
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Back to the game itself for a moment, the next four are both tough and critical. Three of the four represent opportunities to pick wins that actually matter if there are going to be any at-large chances with the possibility that at least two wins out of three will be needed to move the needle at all.

The first game is Miami followed by a trip to Florida State. That's a tough stretch against teams that are probably in the top half of the conference, but Clemson just pulled off this feat last weekend. Miami was missing Beatrice Mompremier for that one for family reasons so if she is back, that improves their chances. They are talented, but have not always played up to it this season so are certainly vulnerable especially on the road. Florida State has been trudging through conference play as their starters are excellent, but injuries have robbed them of their depth. Wake Forest is after that and will be dangerous as the bottom third of the conference is greatly improved this year and will generally threaten all the teams below the top four. Syracuse follows them and presents the biggest possible signature win in this part of the season with their high-variance offensive style making them vulnerable to upsets, but also capable of blowing out teams quickly.

The psychological effects of a tough loss after two more expected losses will be interesting, especially with a week off after the last game, but these four games should tell us what to expect for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Back to the game itself for a moment, the next four are both tough and critical. Three of the four represent opportunities to pick wins that actually matter if there are going to be any at-large chances with the possibility that at least two wins out of three will be needed to move the needle at all.

The psychological effects of a tough loss after two more expected losses will be interesting, especially with a week off after the last game, but these four games should tell us what to expect for the rest of the season.
    I am predicting a 3-1 record -- wins against Miami, Florida State, and Wake Forest, and a loss to Syracuse.

Four years ago, Onome Akinbode-James was not a basketball player. Now, she's starting for Duke.
    The Chronicle
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...cademy-nigeria

Consider this: With her self-proclaimed nature to “swamp [herself] with work,” Akinbode-James took on the challenge of presenting a TEDx Talk during her demanding senior year of high school.

‘Africa, Country or Continent: The Broken Perception’ began with Akinbode-James describing an encounter she had with her American friend and her family at dinner. The friend’s mother asked how far of Akinbode-James had to walk from her “village” to school.

“I was so thrown aback by it because here I am at dinner, thinking we’re just having a good time, and she just pulls that out,” said Akinbode-James, who did not dwell in a village and rode a bus to school. “As much as it is shocking and I’ve gone along and had these experiences, I’ve just realized instead of getting mad about it or angry about it, it’s easier to just try to educate people on it. The more people know the better.”

In her talk, she also says a “single-story notion” concept of African countries produces a distorted view of a homogenous continent instead of one with 54 different countries encompassing more than 1.2 billion people speaking 2,000 languages. The media have reinforced that story by focusing on only a few things in African nations, including poverty and disease.

While she understands that her lifestyle is not newsworthy, Akinbode-James believes it is “not non-existent.”

“It is imperative that we do not rely on just narratives but rather on the complete story to make an informed judgment,” she said.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    I am predicting a 3-1 record -- wins against Miami, Florida State, and Wake Forest, and a loss to Syracuse.
    I am guessing that we get blown out by FSU and Syracuse, play Miami tough but lose, and beat Wake.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So people are still asking strange questions

Four years ago, Onome Akinbode-James was not a basketball player. Now, she's starting for Duke.
    The Chronicle

After graduating from high school in Cuba, my mother spent a gap year at a Catholic women's college in the U.S. before starting at the University of Havana. While her English really improved, she also had to put up with some really strange questions. One student asked her what it was like to be in the United States, where she actually had to wear shoes. Ironically, back then Cuban parents were convinced that if you walked around barefoot on a tile floor you would get pneumonia and die the next day. That was almost as bad as eating and then going swimming, which would produce cramping and then the person would promptly drown.

While the U.S. is a much more open place than back in the 1940's, in some ways things have gotten worse for immigrants of late, so I guess the question is not entirely surprising.

The Chronicle
    It's the way we were brought up (I now have a hard time saying 'America' without having Chris Rock's voice in my head), virtually every map we looked at showed North America much larger than Africa. Blame Mercator. Actually, North America (which officially includes Central America) is quite a bit smaller than Africa.

The continental U.S. would easily fit into the Sahara Desert. You could even squeeze in another Texas and California.

They are just as likely to go o'fer their next 5. hope you are correct however.

Beatrice Mompremier, Miami’s leading scorer and rebounder, missed that game due to the sudden death of her father. The team didn’t have time to prepare for her absence. She returned to practice on Tuesday, and her status for the Duke game is “day to day,” Meier said.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/c...224615870.html

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Duke was behind 18-11 after one, scored 8straight to take the lead.

At the mid-2nd TO, it’s 23-21 Miami. Miami is turning the ball over a lot.

However...Mikayla took a fall and injured her knee. She went to the locker room with Summer, but Summer came back out to get the team doctor. Not a good sign. (It was her right knee, not the one she injured last season.)

And of course, right after I hit enter, they’re back courtside. Mikaylas not back in the game, though.

Edit: back in. Whew!

29-25 Miami at the half.

Mikayla took another fall, and left just before the half.

Mikayla not out for second half warmups.

Mikayla back out on the bench. No clue if she’ll play in the second half.

41-38 Duke after three.

Miami can’t handle our zone, it seems. We’re running a decent offense, and a lot fewer turnovers than normal. We have 13 TOs, they’ve committed 22.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Team totally fell apart in the last two minutes.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That was one ugly loss.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I know this was expected to be a rebuilding year but this is getting rather embarrassing. This team has now lost to every good team it's faced as well as a few merely solid teams. At what point do we hold this program to a higher standard?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

That was a hideous fourth quarter by Duke. Outscored 20-9, I believe that Duke made only 3 baskets during that 10 minutes (on 12 shots from the floor) and was 2-7 from the free throw line while committing 4 turnovers. Meanwhile, at the other end, Duke was giving up 7 made baskets to Miami, 6 of which were layups.

Despite the final margin, this was a game that Duke had a reasonable opportunity to win. Miami uncharacteristically committed 23 turnovers, shot only 21% from beyond the arc, and made only 54% of their free throws. And Duke still led by 47-45 with 3.5 minutes to go.

I don't fault the effort of our players. But I'm finding it increasingly difficult to understand how so many of them who arrive at Duke heralded as skilled athletes seem to be so deficient in the fundamentals -- particularly passing the ball. Based on my observation, it appears that season after season, the Duke women suffer from excessive turnovers and offensive stagnation largely due to their failure to execute basic passes. I wonder if they still practice against a squad of men players, because at times it looks like they're not accustomed to the anticipation and speed of the defenders. In any event, for fans like me who enjoy following the women's team and watching their games, it's frustrating to witness the continuing decline of this program.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    That was a hideous fourth quarter by Duke. Outscored 20-9, I believe that Duke made only 3 baskets during that 10 minutes (on 12 shots from the floor) and was 2-7 from the free throw line while committing 4 turnovers. Meanwhile, at the other end, Duke was giving up 7 made baskets to Miami, 6 of which were layups.

Despite the final margin, this was a game that Duke had a reasonable opportunity to win. Miami uncharacteristically committed 23 turnovers, shot only 21% from beyond the arc, and made only 54% of their free throws. And Duke still led by 47-45 with 3.5 minutes to go.

I don't fault the effort of our players. But I'm finding it increasingly difficult to understand how so many of them who arrive at Duke heralded as skilled athletes seem to be so deficient in the fundamentals -- particularly passing the ball. Based on my observation, it appears that season after season, the Duke women suffer from excessive turnovers and offensive stagnation largely due to their failure to execute basic passes. I wonder if they still practice against a squad of men players, because at times it looks like they're not accustomed to the anticipation and speed of the defenders. In any event, for fans like me who enjoy following the women's team and watching their games, it's frustrating to witness the continuing decline of this program.
    I was at the game, as I have been consistently for about 14 years. I concur with everything Stray says. The team plays hard. Defense tonight was good. But as with previous teams, they can't make a simple lay-up. They pass into double teams. Too many times players put their heads down and drive into a double team, or drive into the lane with no plan. The result invariably is a TO or missed shot. The team does not play basic fundamentals. Injuries have hurt over the past few years, but injuries don't cause turnovers. Injuries don't cause missed layups. As has been mentioned before Duke plays a post-centric offense, and so has dedicated 6 scholarships to post players. One has transferred, one never leaves the bench, one is a reserve transfer from Wagner (really--we need reserves from Wagner?), one is huge and may, after a nutrition and weight program become a serviceable (but slow) center, one has only played basketball for 3+ years, and the remaining is foul prone. Not meant to knock the players but to tell it like it is. There is no Elizabeth Williams, Oderah Chidom, Mistie Bass, Alison Bales on this roster. (There may not even be an Alison Verneray). The trend is not our friend here. The caliber of player does not appear to up to the standards of 5 and 10 years ago. Just my .02. This is going to be a long season.