Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

2018-19 Duke Women's BB

Though Jim Sumner has put up some isolated posts, I don't think there has been a thread yet for general discussion. So I'll start it. Especially since The Chronicle has a bunch of articles up today:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/section/womens-basketball

They've been writing short evaluations daily about individual players for the last week in The Blue Zone if you want to check that out.

Also, freshman Miela Goodchild is playing this week for the Australian U18 team in the Asian Championships. In this morning's game she put up 27 points in 24 minutes (with 10 rebounds). The other team was outmatched, but still. She may be a gem that wasn't listed in the recruiting services because she's from Australia.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u18a...a#tab=overview

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Though Jim Sumner has put up some isolated posts, I don't think there has been a thread yet for general discussion. So I'll start it. Especially since The Chronicle has a bunch of articles up today:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/section/womens-basketball

They've been writing short evaluations daily about individual players for the last week in The Blue Zone if you want to check that out.

Also, freshman Miela Goodchild is playing this week for the Australian U18 team in the Asian Championships. In this morning's game she put up 27 points in 24 minutes (with 10 rebounds). The other team was outmatched, but still. She may be a gem that wasn't listed in the recruiting services because she's from Australia.

http://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u18a...a#tab=overview
    Yeah, I think the team will be counting on Miela to play the part of our top recruit. How good she is and how well Jade plays are among the biggest questions the answers for which will determine how good the team is this year (the other questions being how well have Haley, Kyra, and Mikayla recovered from their respective injuries, and will Leaonna step up and be the All-American level player we all think she can be).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The women start the season ranked 21st. Notre Dame is #1, the ACC has six teams in the top 25. There are three other ACC teams in the "getting votes" category, and Sylvia's ladies ain't one of them.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...sociated-press
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Today through Friday, one can buy a package that includes all eight ACC home games for $31. At GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211778251
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    (the other questions being how well have Haley, Kyra, and Mikayla recovered from their respective injuries, and will Leaonna step up and be the All-American level player we all think she can be).
    Very sad, but I guess one of those questions has been answered. This leaves us with a strong starting five and essentially zero proven depth. And even that assumes Haley and Mikayla recover well and no further injuries (knocking vigorously on a well-worn and heretofore ineffective piece of wood).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Very sad, but I guess one of those questions has been answered. This leaves us with a strong starting five and essentially zero proven depth. And even that assumes Haley and Mikayla recover well and no further injuries (knocking vigorously on a well-worn and heretofore ineffective piece of wood).
    Knock twice as hard as you believe needs to be effective.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Miela Goodchild's Australia team came in 3rd in the U18 Asian Championships. Miela was her team's best player and scored 10, 27, 9, 13, 26, and 21 points in the 6 games and averaged 6 rebounds. She should make the all-tournament team. I haven't the slightest clue how tough the competition was.

C'mon Jim Sumner, give yourself some props...you probably don't want to link your own article, so I will.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211779784

Coach P will on the sideline in Maine tonight, on the other bench at the site of her first HC job.
    Maine is 2-0, winning both of their games by a healthy margin. Game is at 7 on ESPN+, so I won't be watching, but might tune into the audio.
    Will our women come home 1-1, or 0-2?

long road

I was shocked, maybe shouldn't have been, but was shocked that NW dominated Duke in their season opener. Wow. It could be a really long season for this Duke team.
    Last edited by Kfanarmy; 11-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Here's a run down of next year's recruits, ranked #12.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Here's a run down of next year's recruits, ranked #12.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    So, next season we're going to have a Jade, a Jayda, and a Jaida?

Hmm.

Hmm.
    Who will sing the role of Aida?

Hmm.
    My first wish is pleaseeeeeeeee stay healthy. Seems the Women's BB team has been snake bitten when it comes to injuries. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    My first wish is pleaseeeeeeeee stay healthy. Seems the Women's BB team has been snake bitten when it comes to injuries. GoDuke!
    Couldn't agree more. Sadly, that ship already sailed for 2018-19, but we can always hope in 2019-20.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Snake bites would heal faster than the injuries the women have suffered.

Unfortunately, 2019 recruits Jada Boyd and Jada Peoples committed to NC State and Illinois, respectively, so we can't collect the whole set.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Unfortunately, 2019 recruits Jada Boyd and Jada Peoples committed to NC State and Illinois, respectively, so we can't collect the whole set.
    Yeah, but that State game is gonna be a blast for the announcers!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Not starting a game thread (especially after I started the NU one.)

At the half, Duke 48-39 over Elon. Elon is led by the next cheater coach, Charlotte Smith, and she has her team ready. Good ball movement and shooting, but a bit over matched in terms of talent.

Slow start for the Devils, but picked up to lead 24-20 at the quarter.

We have a point guard playing with Leaonna and Haley most of the time. Miela started, but picked up two fouls (and then a third), Rayah played well and Jadya provided a spark off the bench. Leaonna has two fouls, which limitedher play on the first half.

Jade also picked up two quick fouls and sat for he rest of the half. We’re 8n trouble inside if she isn’t in the game Sofia came in, had one stupid foul on an offensive through in and went out. Madison has three offensive rebounds, and Uchenna, well she’s big. When we went to a smaller lineup, Faith moved to the center, and has played well (she started, along with Leaonna, Haley, Miela and Jade.)

We are missing a go to player on offense. Haley and Leaonna have spurts, but it’s not consistent. Going to be a problem against better teams.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    68-53 after three. Leaonna has started to take over somewhat, with a few mid-range jumpers that have found nothing but net.

I left Onome out of the list of bigs, because she was sitting on the bench with the other bigs (sitting next to one of the assistants; don’t read anything into that). First time I’ve seen her, and she is promising. Active on defense, had a nice block/catch on the wing.