Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Just generically speaking, I've really enjoyed your depth and research this season, especially when it has been so easy to submit to emotion.
    Thank you, CameronBornAndBred!

Duke hosts Virginia Tech tonight (February 14) in Cameron.

RealTimeRPI predicts that Duke will win tonight's game, 69-68.
    http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_123_Women.html

Massey gives Duke a 50 percent chance to win, with the "Most Likely" score and the "Median" score having Duke prevailing by one point, 65-64.
    https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=906826418

Per the GoDuke.com release and Game Notes:

A Look at Virginia Tech
    • Virginia Tech enters the contest Thursday with a 15-8 overall and 2-8 league mark under head coach Kenny Brooks.
    • The Hokies have been led by Taylor Emery (17.4 points, 47 treys), Regan Magarity (13.8 points, 12.3 rebounds), Dara Mabrey (12.6 points, 58 treys) and Trinity Baptiste (10.1 points, 7.3 rebounds) on the season.
    • Virginia Tech is averaging 9.4 three-pointers per game.

The Series with Virginia Tech...
    • Duke and Virginia Tech will meet for the 28th time in school history with the Blue Devils leading the series, 25-2. The Blue Devils have posted 23 straight wins in the series.
    • In games played in Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke has tallied a 13-1 record with 11 straight wins.
    • Coach P has collected a 17-1 record versus the Hokies.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Duke hosts Virginia Tech tonight (February 14) in Cameron.

RealTimeRPI predicts that Duke will win tonight's game, 69-68.
    http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_123_Women.html

Massey gives Duke a 50 percent chance to win, with the "Most Likely" score and the "Median" score having Duke prevailing by one point, 65-64.
    https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=906826418

Per the GoDuke.com release and Game Notes:

A Look at Virginia Tech
    • Virginia Tech enters the contest Thursday with a 15-8 overall and 2-8 league mark under head coach Kenny Brooks.
    • The Hokies have been led by Taylor Emery (17.4 points, 47 treys), Regan Magarity (13.8 points, 12.3 rebounds), Dara Mabrey (12.6 points, 58 treys) and Trinity Baptiste (10.1 points, 7.3 rebounds) on the season.
    • Virginia Tech is averaging 9.4 three-pointers per game.

The Series with Virginia Tech...
    • Duke and Virginia Tech will meet for the 28th time in school history with the Blue Devils leading the series, 25-2. The Blue Devils have posted 23 straight wins in the series.
    • In games played in Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke has tallied a 13-1 record with 11 straight wins.
    • Coach P has collected a 17-1 record versus the Hokies.
    Thanks for this. Sounds like it's going to be a nailbiter.

Might want to play more man to man D tonight.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke trails Virginia Tech 29-26 at the half in this home game. Haley Gorecki's three-pointer at the buzzer narrowed the margin.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

VT has 6 threes shooting 40%. Duke has stayed in our zone the whole half.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    VT has 6 threes shooting 40%. Duke has stayed in our zone the whole half.
    VT has 35 points in 25 minutes.

Defense isn't the issue.

The inability of anyone not named Haley Gorecki to make even the easiest shot?

Now, you're on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Defense isn't the issue.

Duke's starting frontcourt is 4-for-19 from the field. And almost all of that is from inside five feet.

Defense isn't the issue.

You won't get an argument from me. Our offense sucks and puts so much pressure on our defense.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Before this game, VT was 0-23 against Duke in ACC play.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Make that 1-23. 64-57 final.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The chocolate cake and craft brewed IPA I had during our Valentines Day meal while missing the game was delicious.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke's starting frontcourt is 4-for-19 from the field. And almost all of that is from inside five feet.
    In the past, sometimes we've just flat out missed the easy ones. That wasn't the case tonight. Tonight the problem was an almost stultifying lack of motion in our offense. Often the player with the ball would receive the pass and just stand there for a second or two...waiting for something to happen. Sometimes, the person who passed the ball would circle through the lane...and the other three players would just stand still. It was very rare for us to have two players moving at the same time. As a result, pretty much every single one of those "easy" shots from inside five feet was contested by one or more opposition players, meaning the shots weren't really all that easy. I can't remember an offense with less movement.

We scored a ton more points when we finally received some coaching encouragement to move the ball faster. Unfortunately, by that time we were also forced to foul on defense to stop the clock and VT is a good shooting team, so while Tech lost a little bit of ground, they didn't lose it nearly quickly enough for us to have a chance to win the game.

The chocolate cake and craft brewed IPA I had during our Valentines Day meal while missing the game was delicious.
    May I suggest Irish Coffees when Duke visits Notre Dame one week from this evening....

The next time a Coach P team runs an orchestrated offense will be the first time.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Before this game, VT was 0-23 against Duke in ACC play.
    And speaking of Winless streaks: Before last nights game, Pitt was Winless in the ACC - and the Cheaterettes had never ever won at Pitt - so something had to give.

That vision of sartorial splendor - Sylvia Hatchell - forgot to pack the defense for the trip - and Pitt tripped them 91-78. And unlike our victory over the Cheaterettes, they were not missing a "Kea" player last evening.

Prior to losing to Duke, UNC looked like they could run the table and finish on an 11-game Win streak dating back to 1/24, including a Win at home over then #1 Notre Dame and on the Road at then #7 NC State. NC State is the only ranked team remaining on their schedule and, with Kea back in the lineup, after the Duke loss they got a W on the Road against a very good Clemson team.

But losing to hapless Pitt puts all their remaining games in question. It would especially be great to see Wolfpack Wes take them down at Carmichael 2/24 prior to them coming to Cameron 3/3. Maybe they peaked too soon and we can help the Cheaterettes finish their season on a 2 - or more - game losing streak going into the ACC Tournament. That would certainly end our dismal season on a bright note

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDad02 View Post
    And speaking of Winless streaks: Before last nights game, Pitt was Winless in the ACC - and the Cheaterettes had never ever won at Pitt - so something had to give.

That vision of sartorial splendor - Sylvia Hatchell - forgot to pack the defense for the trip - and Pitt tripped them 91-78. And unlike our victory over the Cheaterettes, they were not missing a "Kea" player last evening.

Prior to losing to Duke, UNC looked like they could run the table and finish on an 11-game Win streak dating back to 1/24, including a Win at home over then #1 Notre Dame and on the Road at then #7 NC State. NC State is the only ranked team remaining on their schedule and, with Kea back in the lineup, after the Duke loss they got a W on the Road against a very good Clemson team.

But losing to hapless Pitt puts all their remaining games in question. It would especially be great to see Wolfpack Wes take them down at Carmichael 2/24 prior to them coming to Cameron 3/3. Maybe they peaked too soon and we can help the Cheaterettes finish their season on a 2 - or more - game losing streak going into the ACC Tournament. That would certainly end our dismal season on a bright note
    Pitt led UNC at the half, 53-37, and UNC was never able to close the gap.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Post-Game Notes

With the Duke Loss

• Dropped to 11-13, 3-9 in the ACC
    • Snapped a 24-game winning streak against the Hokies
    • Broke an 11-game win streak against Virginia Tech in Cameron. Is now 13-2 overall.
    • Coach P moved to 17-2 versus Virginia Tech
    • Now owns a 25-3 record in the series against the Hokies

Other Duke Notes

• Duke limited themselves to just four turnovers in the first half and committed a season-low nine turnovers
    • The Blue Devils registered only one foul in the first half
    • Forced three shot clock violations on the Hokies
    • The Blue Devils and Hokies both shot 38 percent from the floor (22-of-58)
    • Were outrebounded for the 11th time this season, 41-31
    • Duke shot 50.0 percent (6-of-12) from behind the arc, good for the second-best percentage this season
    • The Hokies totaled 13 second chance points to Duke’s zero

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    There are four games left in the season, and then at most two games in the ACC tourney. I don't see us winning two if we get lucky enough to win one. Only one of those four upcoming games is against a team that is "worse" than us. While there is a remote chance we end up at .500 for the year, it is unlikely.
    We all knew that this would be a tough year for DWBB, but even these results have surpassed my lowered expectations.

I'm quite content if Coach P is packing up her office the day after our tourney exit. She is not the future of Duke Women's Basketball, and the sooner we start focusing on that future the better. Duke can afford to eat the last year of her contract more than it can to afford another year of mediocre basketball.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Which IPA?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.