Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Duke Signee Azana Baines Receives Player of the Year Accolades

Duke University women’s basketball signee Azana Baines has been selected Courier Post, Gloucester County Times and Al Carino Basketball Club Player of the Year. She is also one of five finalists for New Jersey state player of the year.

LINK: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

The Duke men may be the most prominent example but I could destroy an internet forest with additional examples.

But finding that perfect 30-something fit is a lot of work.

I have heard nothing to suggest that Joe Alleva was inclined to go down that road.
    I am trying to figure if you would literally destroy an internet forest, or if that would be figuratively or metaphorically. It was a great image, whichever it would be.

WBB related

it was announced that C. Vivian Stringer won't coach rutgers in the postseason due to health issues. Regardless of ones opinions of her, she has certainly been an important figure in bringing publicity to women's basketball. I wish her the best and hope she is back on the sidelines in the future.
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it was announced that C. Vivian Stringer won't coach rutgers in the postseason due to health issues. Regardless of ones opinions of her, she has certainly been an important figure in bringing publicity to women's basketball. I wish her the best and hope she is back on the sidelines in the future.
    My understanding is that it’s pneumonia that’s made worse by her chain smoking.

I also expect that sometime in the spring, she’ll announce that she’s retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    My understanding is that it’s pneumonia that’s made worse by her chain smoking.

I also expect that sometime in the spring, she’ll announce that she’s retiring.
    Did dean's myth invent that, too? I know about peach baskets, pointing, f**r corners, jumping under shooters and lack of academic integrity but am "hazy" on that one.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Final ESPN Bracketology, by Charlie Creme, before tonight's selection show:
    http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Final ESPN Bracketology, by Charlie Creme, before tonight's selection show:
    http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology
    the thought that uconn wouldn't get a one seed a month ago now looks kinda silly.

this is shaping up to be an incredible women's tourney. like six schools at least with legit chances

Princeton’s Bella Alarie is the Ivy League’s biggest women’s basketball star in a long time

A junior forward from Bethesda, Md., Alarie — the daughter of former Duke star Mark Alarie — is the two-time reigning Ivy League Player of the Year, and has made the all-Ivy first team in each of her three years at Princeton.

This season, Alarie became the first Ivy player since 1982 to average 23 points per game in a campaign. She also averaged 10.7 rebounds per game. She has gone over 30 points five times this season, and over 40 points twice. And she has delivered when it really matters. In the regular season finale at Yale that clinched a share of the Ivy title, Alarie had 31 points, 13 rebounds, six assists, two blocks and two steals.

Link: The Philadelphia Inquirer

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Princeton’s Bella Alarie is the Ivy League’s biggest women’s basketball star in a long time

A junior forward from Bethesda, Md., Alarie — the daughter of former Duke star Mark Alarie — is the two-time reigning Ivy League Player of the Year, and has made the all-Ivy first team in each of her three years at Princeton.

This season, Alarie became the first Ivy player since 1982 to average 23 points per game in a campaign. She also averaged 10.7 rebounds per game. She has gone over 30 points five times this season, and over 40 points twice. And she has delivered when it really matters. In the regular season finale at Yale that clinched a share of the Ivy title, Alarie had 31 points, 13 rebounds, six assists, two blocks and two steals.

Link: The Philadelphia Inquirer
    Her dad could really shoot the ball. A bit under appreciated in the history of Duke players.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Her dad could really shoot the ball. A bit under appreciated in the history of Duke players.
    Alarie could really defend as well. His defense against Danny Manning in the semis of the final four in 86 was amazing.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Has Duke officially said we will not accept an invitation to the women's NIT?
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

OK, I just saw the WNIT field announced - no Duke. DAMN!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Has Duke officially said we will not accept an invitation to the women's NIT?
    All of the articles goduke.com had about our last game mentioned the season being over so the decision was made a long time ago.

Not being in the NCAA discussion prevented all of us from being spoiled today as someone at ESPN accidentally posted the women's bracket as graphics when they were trying to post the men's bracket.

Congrats to Bella and the Alarie family

Here's another good piece on Bella. It was terrific yesterday to watch Princeton win the Ivy League championship. They played with poise and good fundamentals, were effective at both ends of the court, and were well coached. Am happy for them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/s...-the-wnba.html

Welcome to the Princeton Basketball Report! This is great as I grew up a Tigers fan. As a kid I had no idea about all those UCLA (one time it was NCSU) players on the cover of SI. To me the NIT was the pinnacle. Armond Hill anyone?

It was only 20 years ago when the Duke women's basketball team posted one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history knocking off top-ranked and three-time reigning NCAA Champion Tennessee in March of 1999 in Greensboro, N.C.

Read more about the incredible victory that sent the Blue Devils to their first NCAA Final Four here:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/blue-de...084.1545857648

Tx for posting that. Great memories.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Haley Gorecki had a pretty good season.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I so wish Dr. White would share these views "of a storied program".

For all those on the Coach P bandwagon, exalting her past successes, in my eyes this is how you right a sinking ship. And the ship in Nashville has far less holes.
    "Holly Warlick has been relieved of her duties as the Tennessee women's basketball coach, the school announced Wednesday."
    "While it certainly stings to make this decision, I am charged with doing what I believe is best for this storied program. It's important to all of us that Lady Vols basketball maintains its status among the elite."
    The Lady Vols dipped to 19-13 this season and lost to UCLA in the first round of the NCAA tournament, just the second time in school history that Tennessee exited in the first round.
    Warlick guided the Lady Vols to the Elite Eight in three of her seven seasons as coach and to the Sweet 16 once. But the Lady Vols didn't make it past the opening weekend in the NCAA tournament in her final three seasons and were 7-9 in the Southeastern Conference this season, the first time in school history Tennessee didn't finish at least .500 in conference play.
    http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...oach-7-seasons
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ... in my eyes this is how you right a sinking ship. And the ship in Nashville has far less holes.
    Although I agree with your post, the flagship campus of the Univ of Tennessee (home of the Volunteers) is in Knoxville, not Nashville.