Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Green Book is going to be in the same class as Crash, Driving Miss Daisy, Shape of Water, The Artist and others where 5 years later we are saying "THAT movie won best picture?" I am sure it benefited from preferential voting.

The hazing of Bradley Cooper this award season was interesting. A Star is Born is superior to Bohemian Rhapsody in every. single. way. Rami was really, really good, and I liked him. But every single award BH won in, A Star is Born was almost objectively better, whether it was sound, script, acting screenplay, etc. etc. I just don't get that one. Yes BH is "more fun", but given the Brian Singer controversy, I'm just a little puzzled why it got so much love other than everyone is nostalgic for Freddie Mercury, which I get, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Green Book is going to be in the same class as Crash, Driving Miss Daisy, Shape of Water, The Artist and others where 5 years later we are saying "THAT movie won best picture?" I am sure it benefited from preferential voting.
    People will still be watching and enjoying/admiring Star is Born, BlacKkKlansman, and Black Panther a decade from now. I don't think there is a person on the planet who intentionally saw Green Book more than once.

Plus, we just gave a Best Picture Oscar to the man who gave us Dumb and Dumber To, Movie 43, Hall Pass, and The Heartbreak Kid... whew... that's many hours of truly awful filmmaking right there.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    People will still be watching and enjoying/admiring Star is Born, BlacKkKlansman, and Black Panther a decade from now. I don't think there is a person on the planet who intentionally saw Green Book more than once.

Plus, we just gave a Best Picture Oscar to the man who gave us Dumb and Dumber To, Movie 43, Hall Pass, and The Heartbreak Kid... whew... that's many hours of truly awful filmmaking right there.
    Is this the criteria for Best Picture, though? The award isn't "most rewatchable" film. Do people sit down when they get home from the office and decide they want to watch Moonlight? Probably not very often, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a deserving winner.

YMMV, but I think The Shape of Water was a far more egregious selection than Green Book.

I enjoyed A Star is Born and BlackKklansman more than Green Book, but I think it's fairly easy to see why it won. It's a feel-good race related story with strong acting performances. I'll stop there in fear of wading into some PPB thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Is this the criteria for Best Picture, though? The award isn't "most rewatchable" film. Do people sit down when they get home from the office and decide they want to watch Moonlight? Probably not very often, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a deserving winner.
    Not exactly. No one would suggest Schindlers List shouldn’t have won, but I’ve seen it once. I’ll probably watch it again when my kids are old enough. I’ll beg to differ with you on Moonlight. Knowing how it ends now makes it very rewatchable to me.

Look, this is all opinion (despite my protestation on BR v ASIB). But some movies get caught up in awards momentum/hype/etc. than looking back, we realize that they just weren’t best picture quality. It’s more about how movies age than rewatchability. American Beauty over LA Confidential? Really? Shape of Water was well made and acted, and unique, but I think it will age poorly as well as a best picture worthy movie. As will Green Book, IMO.

Into the Spider-Verse was robbed!