Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

NBA Regular season thread 2019

Doesn't have to be about Dukies. Other stuff happening in the league goes in this thread.

Let me kick things off by saying Joel Embiid should have gotten a lot more than a warning for this $%(*%)(^@@. His acting caused a key player to be ejected from a game. Luckily, the Pistons won but they could easily have lost this OT tilt and that would have truly been a crime.

-Jason "I don't know why the refs could not quickly consult a taped replay to determine that Embiid was flopping and Drummond had done nothing wrong. Every sport has replay except the NBA... sheesh!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Doesn't have to be about Dukies. Other stuff happening in the league goes in this thread.

Let me kick things off by saying Joel Embiid should have gotten a lot more than a warning for this $%(*%)(^@@. His acting caused a key player to be ejected from a game. Luckily, the Pistons won but they could easily have lost this OT tilt and that would have truly been a crime.

-Jason "I don't know why the refs could not quickly consult a taped replay to determine that Embiid was flopping and Drummond had done nothing wrong. Every sport has replay except the NBA... sheesh!" Evans
    The NBA does have replay, though. I guess it wasn't triggered here because the ref called a Technical rather than a Flagrant. It doesn't look like they can rescind a foul call completely after review, but the refs could change it to a common foul, which would have prevented the ejection. Also, the refs would have been allowed to call a Technical on Embiid for unsportsmanlike conduct based on the review.

But hey, if the NBA doesn't work out for him for whatever reason, Embiid may have a future in soccer.

I'm really having trouble with the Sixers. I love the faith they have put in JJ (and the money they have put in his pocket) but there are not many other likable guys on that team. Embiid is a major-league punk. I sorta hate that in Simmons and Fultz they have two of the most talented and yet least accomplished (in terms of winning) NCAA players of the past half decade. I don't really care much about Robert Covington or Dario Saric.

--Jason "If it was not for JJ, the Sixers would be waaaay up on the scale of teams I root against" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

There is no defense so far this season.

Curry!

Wow, Steph Curry with 11 3's and 51 points...in 3 quarters last night. He was on fire. NBA season is less than a week old and it's already so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Wow, Steph Curry with 11 3's and 51 points...in 3 quarters last night. He was on fire. NBA season is less than a week old and it's already so much fun.
    That's what happens when you mess with his little bro.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I would definitely consider his handle elite.
    Mods, can you move the Harden discussion to the non-Duke NBA thread? I'd like to continue but I'm the people on this thread are sick of it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    There is no defense so far this season.
    Heard on ESPN yesterday that the "7 seconds or less" D'Antoni Suns would rank dead last in pace of play this year. That is pure insanity, and not something that I'm totally sure I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Heard on ESPN yesterday that the "7 seconds or less" D'Antoni Suns would rank dead last in pace of play this year. That is pure insanity, and not something that I'm totally sure I enjoy.
    To be fair it's not that the defenses are playing all that poorly. There were just a few rule changes that are gonna inflate scores a little bit and others are gonna take time for defenses to adjust too.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Hey look, Steph is bombing 35-footers like they are layups.

It should be noted that this kind of insane shooting prowess makes like soooo much easier for his teammates. It forces teams to cover -- sometimes even double cover -- Steph from 40 feet out. Talk about creating space for other guys to operate!!

I've never seen anything like it. I mean Redick's senior year was phenomenal, and his range was tremendous. But not like this.

Curry's ability to hit shots from that far out with any degree of frequency is surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    I've never seen anything like it. I mean Redick's senior year was phenomenal, and his range was tremendous. But not like this.

Curry's ability to hit shots from that far out with any degree of frequency is surreal.
    Redick (one of the best college shooters of all time) has improved dramatically as a shooter since college - and he's still in a different league than Curry.

I imagine that if not for Curry, we would be hearing lots of comparisons between Redick, Klay Thompson, and Kyle Korver, and how they rank against some of the all-time great perimeter shooters (Allen, Miller, Nash, Bird, etc.) But Curry just moots the whole discussion.

That highlight video is pretty freaking impressive.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

So ESPN is reporting that the Rockets have offered 4 first round picks to Minnesota for Jimmy Butler.

IMO if Minnesota doesn't take that then they don't deserve to ever win another game in the history of... well ever. With the league rules of no back to back years of 1sts allowed to be traded then that means the last 3 of those 1sts will be this Rockets team in cap hell with an outdated CP3 and Butler (most likely neither is in the league or at the very least ineffective). Those picks could be valuable as heck especially if the age limit for rookies change.

Also Jimmy doesn't wanna be there nor is he gonna re sign plus he's bad for team morale.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    So ESPN is reporting that the Rockets have offered 4 first round picks to Minnesota for Jimmy Butler.

IMO if Minnesota doesn't take that then they don't deserve to ever win another game in the history of... well ever. With the league rules of no back to back years of 1sts allowed to be traded then that means the last 3 of those 1sts will be this Rockets team in cap hell with an outdated CP3 and Butler (most likely neither is in the league or at the very least ineffective). Those picks could be valuable as heck especially if the age limit for rookies change.

Also Jimmy doesn't wanna be there nor is he gonna re sign plus he's bad for team morale.
    That is insanity. Worse than Dallas trading a 1st for Amari Cooper. Sheesh.

Not really. Late first round picks in the nba aren’t that valuable. Sure once in a while you get a good player but for the most part you don’t get good players. Winning in the nba is different than other sports top tier talent is way more important than depth. You win with stars not role players

Not really. Late first round picks in the nba aren’t that valuable. Sure once in a while you get a good player but for the most part you don’t get good players. Winning in the nba is different than other sports top tier talent is way more important than depth. You win with stars not role players
    It would seem that you could "solve the problem backward" by looking at draft position for the last ten All-Star teams.

They might not be late first-round picks, though. As JNort pointed out, you can't trade consecutive first-rounders, so the 4 firsts are going to be in 2019, 2021, 2023, 2025. Is Houston still going to be drafting in the late first round in 2023 and 2025? It's a good deal for Minnesota unless the lottery protections are severe.

From Houston's perspective, they're in Harden's prime and Chris Paul probably has 1-2 seasons left as a very good player, so they're going to go for it. (One might wonder though why they allowed themselves to be outbid for Trevor Ariza in free agency.)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It would seem that you could "solve the problem backward" by looking at draft position for the last ten All-Star teams.
    Way too much work, but I was curious enough to look at the last five All-NBA teams (1st, 2nd, and 3rd), and the results were mixed. 38 players were named at least once, and of these 12 were outside the lottery:

15 Giannis
    15 Kawhi
    15 Al Jefferson
    24 Kyle Lowry
    27 Rudy Gobert
    28 Tony Parker
    30 Jimmy Butler
    35 Draymond
    35 DeAndre Jordan
    45 Goran Dragic
    48 Marc Gasol
    60 Isaiah Thomas

That's more than I expected, and from farther down the draft than I expected. Still, these players are taken from 12-14 drafts, so just a tiny fraction of even the non-lottery first rounders (maybe 4%?) made All-NBA in the five years I checked. Also, I'd only rate two of these twelve as real NBA superstars (Giannis and Kawhi). Other than them, all the multi-year All-NBA players are from the lottery, and almost all from the top 6 picks.

I don't see how they will be late picks. CP3 would be 40 and Harden along with Jimmy would he 36. I doubt Jimmy and CP3 are even on this team 2 or 3 years from now. Harden will start being washed up and they invested a lot of money into Capela who isn't even any good without an elite playmaker. Those last 2 picks should he lottery and the 2nd one could be anywhere.