Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke MBB ranked 4th in AP poll

6 ACC teams in top 17, 7 in top 22.

Looking like it'll be a bumpy ride this year. Hopefully we (as a league) perform up to, or exceed expectations in the noncon portion of the schedule. Always helps with bids and seedings come March.

I like us at #4, maybe #5...

On talent alone, we're top #3. On talent of our starting 5, we're #1. On team chemistry and defense, we're hopefully top #20. On experience, we're top #350.

I have an issue with Virginia NOT being ahead of us. If these polls are a measure of where teams end right before the tournament starts, UVA should be top #3, maybe even #1. And yes - UVA will win the ACC Reg Season (I know, I know...Reg Season winner doesn't establish the winner of the conference. But I think it's more important than ACC Tournament winner).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Only matters where you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    On talent alone, we're top #3. On talent of our starting 5, we're #1. On team chemistry and defense, we're hopefully top #20. On experience, we're top #350.

I have an issue with Virginia NOT being ahead of us. If these polls are a measure of where teams end right before the tournament starts, UVA should be top #3, maybe even #1. And yes - UVA will win the ACC Reg Season (I know, I know...Reg Season winner doesn't establish the winner of the conference. But I think it's more important than ACC Tournament winner).
    Looooong way to go from right now to get there. Injuries, suspensions, etc. Though I'll admit that experienced/veteran teams seem to have a decided advantage in the long haul of a regular season. For the record, I have no issues with UVA being behind Duke or any of the other teams ranked ahead of them. Or, frankly, any team at all. I think our (UVA) team last season pointed out the "far-from-perfect" nature of these preseason rankings (when we were unranked and projected 6th in the ACC).

I was thrilled to see this morning that Braxton Key's waiver was granted. That guy will/should be our sixth man and provide tremendous versatility and depth off the bench for Bennett. If he can get up to speed quickly in the pack line responsibilities... I actually think we'll be BETTER overall than we were last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I actually think we'll be BETTER overall than we were last season.
    Round of 32, here you come!

Sorry... that was mean

-Jason "I agree with the above comment that Virginia should be the regular season title faves... nothing I have seen the past several years dissuades me from thinking that Bennett is among the 5 best coaches in the land" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Looooong way to go from right now to get there. Injuries, suspensions, etc. Though I'll admit that experienced/veteran teams seem to have a decided advantage in the long haul of a regular season. For the record, I have no issues with UVA being behind Duke or any of the other teams ranked ahead of them. Or, frankly, any team at all. I think our (UVA) team last season pointed out the "far-from-perfect" nature of these preseason rankings (when we were unranked and projected 6th in the ACC).

I was thrilled to see this morning that Braxton Key's waiver was granted. That guy will/should be our sixth man and provide tremendous versatility and depth off the bench for Bennett. If he can get up to speed quickly in the pack line responsibilities... I actually think we'll be BETTER overall than we were last season.
    Who's emerging as your main perimeter backup player? I think the key to UVA's season is that guy. UVA was special last year when Hunter could play the 4, imo. At the very least, even if Hunter plays most of his minutes at the 3, you want the lineup flexibility to toggle back and forth between going two bigs and playing Hunter at the 4.

We will potentially play two of the top three and three of the top 11 teams before December.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Who's emerging as your main perimeter backup player? I think the key to UVA's season is that guy. UVA was special last year when Hunter could play the 4, imo. At the very least, even if Hunter plays most of his minutes at the 3, you want the lineup flexibility to toggle back and forth between going two bigs and playing Hunter at the 4.
    Kihei Clark is looking like he's going to be that guy. He's a very widdle guy and had little to no recruiting profile, but Jeff Goodman was praising him today. Sounds like he can at least get after guys on defense and give Jerome a few minutes a game.

Key and Hunter are also capable of playing some 2 in a pinch, but that's not going to result in a very effective lineup.

6 ACC teams in top 17, 7 in top 22.

Looking like it'll be a bumpy ride this year. Hopefully we (as a league) perform up to, or exceed expectations in the noncon portion of the schedule. Always helps with bids and seedings come March.
    Yes indeed, but of course, we can count on Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida State, NC State and some others to lay eggs to nobodies in the early season...as they always do.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    On experience, we're top #350.
    I'm expecting some bumps in the road along the way.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Kihei Clark is looking like he's going to be that guy. He's a very widdle guy... but Jeff Goodman was praising him today.

Are you making fun of Goodman's speech impediment?

And the national love affair with Gonzaga and Mark continues.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Are you making fun of Goodman's speech impediment?

And the national love affair with Gonzaga and Mark continues.
    I swear I've never heard the man talk! I was going more for a Tommy Boy sort of thing - "Him just a widdle guy. Him scared."

After Clark committed to UVA, a poster on one message board linked to this article with the title "Middle-school boy dribbles oversized basketball," which is one of the more brutally funny things I've seen about a UVA player.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Kihei Clark is looking like he's going to be that guy. He's a very widdle guy and had little to no recruiting profile, but Jeff Goodman was praising him today. Sounds like he can at least get after guys on defense and give Jerome a few minutes a game.

Key and Hunter are also capable of playing some 2 in a pinch, but that's not going to result in a very effective lineup.
    One of my primary complaints about Duke's recent recruiting strategy is the serious under-prioritization of widdle players. You can never have too many widdle guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I fully expect Jerome and Guy to both be logging 32+mpg through the regular season, and 35+ in postseason. Hunter might play as little as 10-15mpg at the "3", and the rest at stretch 4.
    Backup minutes I'd speculate as of now:
    Kihei Clark about 0-8 at PG (a MUCH less explosive Chris Lykes - VERY small, very quick, excellent handle, good passer. Mediocre explosiveness and shooting)
    Marco Anthony about 10-15 between the 2 and 3 (think Devon Hall EARLY in his career)
    Braxton Key at about 20-25 at the 3 (similar to Hunter, but a good bit less skilled. Excellent length/defensive ability, underrated driver of the ball)

I think as we wind down toward late Feb and into March, our core rotation will be 7 guys:
    Jerome
    Guy
    Hunter
    Diakite
    Salt
    Key
    Anthony/Huff (one of those two will have a "real" role, the other be a consistent 5-8mpg guy).

Getting Key eligible was HUGE from a flexibility standpoint. With him as 6th man, he can sub out ANY starter and we can move positions around to adjust as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    One of my primary complaints about Duke's recent recruiting strategy is the serious under-prioritization of widdle players. You can never have too many widdle guys.
    Today I learned “widdle” makes it past the DBR language filter. I am looking forward to how the community embraces this opportunity 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Today I learned “widdle” makes it past the DBR language filter. I am looking forward to how the community embraces this opportunity 🤣
    We're all pretty wascally folks.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

4 is fine....it's good for the ego to be #1 in Pre-season, but really doesn't mean much
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We will potentially play two of the top three and three of the top 11 teams before December.
    The Champions Classic is not set up as a tournament. It's only one game. We will play only Kentucky and then possibly #11 Auburn among the top 25 before December as I see it.

Indiana, Xavier, San Diego State and Texas Tech are all among "others receiving votes" if we look to the end of December. Don't be surprised if Xavier takes down Auburn, either. But if they do, it wouldn't get them into the top 25 before we play them (because of the timing of games relative to the polls updating).

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    The Champions Classic is not set up as a tournament. It's only one game. We will play only Kentucky and then possibly #11 Auburn among the top 25 before December as I see it.

Indiana, Xavier, San Diego State and Texas Tech are all among "others receiving votes" if we look to the end of December. Don't be surprised if Xavier takes down Auburn, either. But if they do, it wouldn't get them into the top 25 before we play them (because of the timing of games relative to the polls updating).
    Possible matchup with Gonzaga in the Maui final (if both teams make it that far)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke