Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Two thoughts. First, awesome responses from Jasper, thanks. Those of us that are a bit OCD are really glad to have clarity. Second thought...I test software (and write software to test software)...chances are I still have some open Burts on "uh no" (aside from the ones I filed when he was in middle school).
    Everyone knows this must be a lie, as I spend all day on DBR.
    April 1

Tonight, the GoDuke count was actually bigger than the NCAA count. GoDuke said 5: Javin 2, RJ 1, AOC 1, and Justin 1. NCAA.com didn't give a dunk to AOC, and since I can't remember the play, I'm not sure who's right. Zion got no dunks tonight. Justin now ranks 6th on the team with 3.

So far, for the season, in 11 games:

Zion 26 or 21 (probably really 25);
    RJ 18 or 14 (probably 17);
    Marques 14 or 12 (probably 14);
    Javin 11 or 9 (probably 11);
    Jack 4;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 2;
    AOC 1 or 2 (probably ?).

TOTAL: 79 (NCAA) or 68 (Duke) [but the real number is probably 77 or 78].

FWIW, last year's team had 73 dunks after eleven games. At this point last season, Marvin had 30 and Wendell had 17. Third place was a tie between Trevon, Javin, and Grayson, all with 7. So using the "probably really" numbers, (a) Zion is five behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are five behind Marvin + Wendell, 47 to 42; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are ahead of Marvin, Wendell, and Trevon, 56 to 54; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are ahead of Marvin, Wendell, Trevon, and Javin, 67 to 61; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team ahead, 71 to 68.

SCTop10 Count - Tally - Princeton

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Game #8 - Stetson - Zippo - Tough Day. Lots of conference Football Championships with Great Plays. (rumors are Coach K lights a [big] candle later in the week.. bids to increase his oil holdings)
    Game #9 - Hartford - SCT10 #1 - Zion Assist off the backboard to R.J. Barrett for 2 Handed Slam (9 Duke SCTop 10 Highlights in 9 games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #10 - Yale - Zilch
    Game #11 - Princeton - SCT10 #2 - Zion Blocks a Princeton Player's shot above the box, so deep he hits his head on the backboard (no repair of the backboard needed, mysterious Harry Potter "Z" shows up on Zion's head. Obviously protected by a horcrux.). Personnally, I liked Reddish's Rip and Assist. (10 SCT10 in 11 games).

Larry
    DevilHorse

Game #11 - Princeton - SCT10 #2 - Zion Blocks a Princeton Player's shot above the box, so deep he hits his head on the backboard (no repair of the backboard needed, mysterious Harry Potter "Z" shows up on Zion's head. Obviously protected by a horcrux.).
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...uke-highlights
    Zion Williamson: murder blocker. It’s the only way to sum it up.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I haven't really kept up with this thread but, for the record, that Jasper person who posted upthread is actually pretty competent.

Despite the fact that he's a Red Sox fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Tonight, the GoDuke count was actually bigger than the NCAA count. GoDuke said 5: Javin 2, RJ 1, AOC 1, and Justin 1. NCAA.com didn't give a dunk to AOC, and since I can't remember the play, I'm not sure who's right. Zion got no dunks tonight. Justin now ranks 6th on the team with 3.

So far, for the season, in 11 games:

Zion 26 or 21 (probably really 25);
    RJ 18 or 14 (probably 17);
    Javin 11 or 9 (probably 11);
    Jack 4;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 2;
    AOC 1 or 2 (probably ?).

TOTAL: 79 (NCAA) or 68 (Duke) [but the real number is probably 77 or 78].

FWIW, last year's team had 73 dunks after eleven games. At this point last season, Marvin had 30 and Wendell had 17. Third place was a tie between Trevon, Javin, and Grayson, all with 7. So using the "probably really" numbers, (a) Zion is five behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are five behind Marvin + Wendell, 47 to 42; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are ahead of Marvin, Wendell, and Trevon, 56 to 54; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are ahead of Marvin, Wendell, Trevon, and Javin, 67 to 61; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team ahead, 71 to 68.
    No dunk for AOC. At 3:43 of the 2H. White makes a steal, goes the length of the court but misses the layup. Goldwire tries for a put back dunk(!) but it bounces off the back rim. Then AOC makes a nice tip in. But AOC was nowhere near the rim, certainly not above it. That was his only 2pointer of the game.

AOC missed a dunk at 4:39 of the 2H, but was fouled and made both.

Vrank got an ORebound off an AOC miss at 1:45. Open unde the basket but opted for the layup instead of a dunk. Must do wind sprints for failing to boost the team dunk count

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I haven't really kept up with this thread but, for the record, that Jasper person who posted upthread is actually pretty competent.

Despite the fact that he's a Red Sox fan.
    Absolutely--and, as if we needed any corroboration, KenPom addressed this in his latest pod. He gave a big shoutout to David Worlock as an invaluable resource who has been at his constant call making necessary stats updates/corrections because (as Jasper pointed out) the NCAA software is changing over. I didn't really consider the potential hijinx this would cause to predictive modeling like KenPom, but rather viewed this as a minor inconvenience when counting Duke dunks for posterity. Instead, it had the potential to wreak major havoc on a larger scale--especially when considering that these rankings will actually be provided on team sheets for the Selection Committee.

Long winded way of throwing another kudos (sporks provided earlier) to JJasper.

Game #10 - Yale - Zilch
    Game #11 - Princeton - SCT10 #2 - Zion Blocks a Princeton Player's shot above the box, so deep he hits his head on the backboard (no repair of the backboard needed, mysterious Harry Potter "Z" shows up on Zion's head. Obviously protected by a horcrux.). Personnally, I liked Reddish's Rip and Assist. (10 SCT10 in 11 games).

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #12 - Texas Tech - SCT10 #8 - Zion oops an assist from out of Tre's hands for slam from the left side. Levitation involved. Levity ensued. Levis left the seats (11 SCT10 in 12 games)

Larry
    DevilHorse

Game #12 - Texas Tech - SCT10 #8 - Zion oops an assist from out of Tre's hands for slam from the left side. Levitation involved. Levity ensued.
    And GoDuke called it a "jumper."

Now that we understand the problem, this will probably be the last post where I track GoDuke's count. I won't use NCAA.com's count if we know it's wrong, either, so hopefully the total we get in this thread at least comes close to matching whatever "official" tally is being kept somewhere. Be that as it may, the GoDuke count was 4: Zion 2, RJ 1, and Javin 1. NCAA.com said 5: Zion 3, RJ and Javin 1 each.

So far, for the season, in 12 games:

Zion 29 or 23 (probably really 28);
    RJ 19 or 15 (probably 18);
    Javin 12 or 10 (probably 12);
    Jack 4;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 2;
    AOC 1 or 2 (probably 1).

TOTAL: 84 (NCAA) or 71 (Duke) [but the real number is probably 82].

FWIW, last year's team had 79 dunks after twelve games, so using our "probably" number this year's team is 3 ahead of last season's record-setting pace. At this point last season, Marvin had 30 and Wendell had 19. Javin had 9, Grayson had 8 and Trevon had 7. So using the "probably really" numbers, (a) Zion is two behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are three behind Marvin + Wendell, 49 to 46; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are ahead of Marvin, Wendell, and Javin, 60 to 58; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are ahead of Marvin, Wendell, Javin, and Grayson, 72 to 66; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team ahead, 76 to 73.

And GoDuke called it a "jumper."
    What an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    What an embarrassment.
    Beta testing is fraught with troubles; parallel testing is so much better!

-jk

Duke Basketball: Devilish Dunks 2018

Wow, had to go all the way to page 4 to find one of my favorite ongoing threads? Must be a long time since we played. For your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcf6Dgj_Xo

All of the slams from Zion and the squad in 2018 Duke wins. TOTAL: 84 (NCAA) or 71 (Duke) [but the real number is probably 82]...but I didn't try to count them.

Let's add to the total tomorrow night! Going to be at the game - first time to see a Duke/ACC game in Cameron. Man-o-man, can hardly wait!

i know that Zion had at least 2, and Javin had at least 1, does anyone know the official tally?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    i know that Zion had at least 2, and Javin had at least 1, does anyone know the official tally?

History of Universe dunk total:
    Zion Williamson: 1
    Everyone Else: 0
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by BullBlue View Post
    Wow, had to go all the way to page 4 to find one of my favorite ongoing threads? Must be a long time since we played. For your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcf6Dgj_Xo

All of the slams from Zion and the squad in 2018 Duke wins. TOTAL: 84 (NCAA) or 71 (Duke) [but the real number is probably 82]...but I didn't try to count them.

Let's add to the total tomorrow night! Going to be at the game - first time to see a Duke/ACC game in Cameron. Man-o-man, can hardly wait!
    I counted 71 in that video
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Game #12 - Texas Tech - SCT10 #8 - Zion oops an assist from out of Tre's hands for slam from the left side. Levitation involved. Levity ensued. Levis left the seats (11 SCT10 in 12 games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #13 - Clemson - CST10 #1 - Zion double team, steal from behind at half-court, dribbles in for a fluid and powerful, 360 degree, left hand rim rattler that left everyone in blue quite excited.
    (12 SCT10 in 13games)

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    History of Universe dunk total:
    Zion Williamson: 1
    Everyone Else: 0
    couldn't spork you so i'll say that was a good one!
    Very Chuck Norris-esque, in that it reminded me of a post somebody made in which Zion replaced Chuck...

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I counted 71 in that video
    Of course, that's a Duke video, and Im sure they just followed the "official" Duke tally sheet to time stamped moments to do the video.

Starting now, I will use NCAA.com's count, with question marks if I thought it was wrong. Last night, NCAA.com said we had 5 dunks: Zion 2, Marques, Javin, and Alex 1 each.

I don't remember Alex's dunk (supposedly with 1:25 to go in the first half), and GoDuke didn't give him credit for one. Does anyone else remember seeing Alex dunk last night?

So far, for the season, in 13 games:

Zion 31 (probably really 30);
    RJ 19 (probably 18);
    Marques 15;
    Javin 13;
    Jack 4;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 2;
    AOC 2 (probably 1).

TOTAL: 89 [but the real number is probably 86].

FWIW, last year's team had 85 dunks after 13 games, so this year's team is either one or three ahead of last season's record-setting pace. At this point last season, Marvin had 32 and Wendell had 20. Javin had 9, Grayson had 8 and Trevon had 7. So (a) Zion is one or two behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are between two-to-four behind Marvin + Wendell; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are two-to-four ahead of Marvin, Wendell, and Javin; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are seven-to-nine ahead of Marvin, Wendell, Javin, and Grayson; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team four-to-six ahead of last year's team.

Starting now, I will use NCAA.com's count, with question marks if I thought it was wrong. Last night, NCAA.com said we had 5 dunks: Zion 2, Marques, Javin, and Alex 1 each.

I don't remember Alex's dunk (supposedly with 1:25 to go in the first half), and GoDuke didn't give him credit for one. Does anyone else remember seeing Alex dunk last night?.
    Alex had a follow off the glass...not a dunk...at that point. That was his only hoop.