Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 232
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    When I played, if I touched the net when making a layup, it counted as a dunk.



    I still didn't have many dunks.
    I can believe that, because how many layups did you make?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    When I played, if I touched the net when making a layup, it counted as a dunk.



    I still didn't have many dunks.
    i counted it as a dunk when I slapped the backboard on a layup. I could finally do that as a Senior! I even managed to hit it with both hands once in practice!

    Short guys gotta do whatever we can right?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I can believe that, because how many layups did you make?
    Can I count lay-up lines, shoot-arounds, practices, the years of shooting hoops in the driveway growing up?


    Three or four.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Maybe it would be more accurate to count dunks while watching the game? Provided you watch the whole game and pay attention, I can't imagine a DBR person watching the game wouldn't be at least as accurate as a box score, and probably more so.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Maybe it would be more accurate to count dunks while watching the game? Provided you watch the whole game and pay attention, I can't imagine a DBR person watching the game wouldn't be at least as accurate as a box score, and probably more so.
    That's a great idea. You're hired!

  6. #26
    Just 2 dunks against Army: Zion 1, RJ 1.

    I will note that the official Duke box once again missed a dunk (it called Zion's alley-oop a "jumper"). So our season count is 9 according to the NCAA.com box score and 7 according to the official Duke box score. I hope the official Duke box mislabeling dunks doesn't become a trend.

    Season totals (using NCAA.com):

    Zion: 4
    RJ: 2
    Marques: 2
    Cam: 1

    Total: 9

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Just 2 dunks against Army: Zion 1, RJ 1.

    I will note that the official Duke box once again missed a dunk (it called Zion's alley-oop a "jumper"). So our season count is 9 according to the NCAA.com box score and 7 according to the official Duke box score. I hope the official Duke box mislabeling dunks doesn't become a trend.

    Season totals (using NCAA.com):

    Zion: 4
    RJ: 2
    Marques: 2
    Cam: 1

    Total: 9
    Who, at Duke, can you pop off a message to asking about the discrepancy? (Ducks, covers...)

    -jk

  8. #28
    Depending on which box score you look at, we either had 12 or 14 dunks tonight:

    Official Duke box: 12 (Zion 5, Marques 4, RJ 1, Javin 1, Jack 1);

    NCAA.com box: 14 (Zion 6, Marques 4, RJ 2, Javin 1, Jack 1).

    Which gives us either 23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke) for the season (3 games):

    Zion 10 or 8;
    Marques 6 or 5;
    RJ 4 or 3;
    Cam 1;
    Javin 1;
    Jack 1;

    23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke).

    Makes me wonder if we had the same problem last year? I used the Duke official box, but I never looked at the NCAA.com box. This year, NCAA.com seems more accurate. Though for the official "record" I think the Duke SID uses the official Duke box. It's a conundrum.

    For what it's worth, after three games last season we had 21 dunks (either two more or two less than this season). Marvin Bagley led the team with 7 (either 1 less or 3 less than Zion).

  9. #29
    From goduke.com: • Duke finished the game with 14 dunks, which matched the most it had in any game last season (14 vs. Louisville, 2/21/2018)

    http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5479256.pdf

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    From goduke.com: • Duke finished the game with 14 dunks, which matched the most it had in any game last season (14 vs. Louisville, 2/21/2018)

    http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5479256.pdf
    Great, except the official Duke box says 12.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Great, except the official Duke box says 12.
    disappointing and sad the article writer accounts the stats more accurately than the official scorer.
    Zion Williamson broke my brain.

    "If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

    -David Cutcliffe

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Great, except the official Duke box says 12.
    What is up with that? They seem low all the time. This is not hard. It's not a big deal, but it is incompetent.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  13. #33

    SCTop10 Count

    With the Eastern Michigan game, that is 4 ESPN SCTop10 highlights in 3 games for Duke (actually Zion).

    Game #1 - KY - SCT10-#8 - Zion nifty Block/Catch at one end/ Keyhole Assist to Barrett at the other
    Game #2 - Army - SCT10 - #3 - Zion blocks Army shot on the far side of the Army player (over Army player's head)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #9 - Zion 2nd Half (tame) Slam from Capt. Jack assist (How they missed the Tre Jones quarter court Oop assist for this, I'll never know)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #1 - Zion Two Handed 3 foot out 2.5 foot above Rim Rattler

    Larry
    DevilHorse

  14. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    What is up with that? They seem low all the time. This is not hard. It's not a big deal, but it is incompetent.
    I was about to post the same thing. How hard is it to count dunks? Either a guy dunks it or he doesn't. It's not really that ambiguous.

    I could understand missing 5 dunks all season, but to miscount on the order of 2 per game is really pretty lame.

    - Chillin

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Depending on which box score you look at, we either had 12 or 14 dunks tonight:

    Official Duke box: 12 (Zion 5, Marques 4, RJ 1, Javin 1, Jack 1);

    NCAA.com box: 14 (Zion 6, Marques 4, RJ 2, Javin 1, Jack 1).

    Which gives us either 23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke) for the season (3 games):

    Zion 10 or 8;
    Marques 6 or 5;
    RJ 4 or 3;
    Cam 1;
    Javin 1;
    Jack 1;

    23 (NCAA) or 19 (Duke).

    Makes me wonder if we had the same problem last year? I used the Duke official box, but I never looked at the NCAA.com box. This year, NCAA.com seems more accurate. Though for the official "record" I think the Duke SID uses the official Duke box. It's a conundrum.

    For what it's worth, after three games last season we had 21 dunks (either two more or two less than this season). Marvin Bagley led the team with 7 (either 1 less or 3 less than Zion).
    Weren't there a couple very clear discrepencies in the dunk totals reported by the team on social media last year? Like, Duke's account would post something about Bagley having x number of dunks, but the total according to the Duke box scores as we tracked it in the thread was different (and we can now probably assume that the total according to the NCAA box scores was...even different-er)?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Great, except the official Duke box says 12.
    The official Duke box is wrong, as Zion clearly had 6. You can go to ESPN.com to watch a highlight reel showing all six in succession if you want to verify.

  17. #37
    Maybe it's dunk envy.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    With the Eastern Michigan game, that is 4 ESPN SCTop10 highlights in 3 games for Duke (actually Zion).

    Game #1 - KY - SCT10-#8 - Zion nifty Block/Catch at one end/ Keyhole Assist to Barrett at the other
    Game #2 - Army - SCT10 - #3 - Zion blocks Army shot on the far side of the Army player (over Army player's head)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #9 - Zion 2nd Half (tame) Slam from Capt. Jack assist (How they missed the Tre Jones quarter court Oop assist for this, I'll never know)
    Game #3 - E. Michigan - SCT10 - #1 - Zion Two Handed 3 foot out 2.5 foot above Rim Rattler

    Larry
    DevilHorse
    And, somehow, Tre Jones' blind flip over his shoulder for a Zion dunk didn't make the top ten. How?!?!

    You can see it at the 4:00 mark of this video:
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    I asked last night. A member of the Duke media relations department told me 14 dunks, six by Zion Williamson, four by Marques Bolden.

    FWIW.

  20. #40

    Agree

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    And, somehow, Tre Jones' blind flip over his shoulder for a Zion dunk didn't make the top ten. How?!?!

    You can see it at the 4:00 mark of this video:
    Jason - that IS the play that I refer to in parenthesis on #9. Just a great play.

    Impressive too is that until yesterday's game, Zion's two SCT10 highlights were not dunks.

    Larry
    DevilHorse

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Women's Golf, 2018-2019
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2018, 03:29 PM
  2. Duke Dunk Report
    By Kedsy in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 03-26-2018, 09:40 AM
  3. Duke to Play Alabama in 2019 Football Season Opener
    By mbird30 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-22-2016, 07:12 PM
  4. Duke Dunk Contest Videos (Rounds 1-3)
    By altitech in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •