Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    I'm glad the team didn't have any more dunks. The way Louisville was playing, one of our players may have been injured. Not that they were dirty players but our team took some hard shots from the Cards. GoDuke!

Most amazing missed tap in...

Perhaps the most stunning play from Zion last night was when he went, oh I don't know, about 17 feet in the air and tipped the ball...which missed off the rim...which of course he then rebounded and scored on the second try. He was amazingly high on the tap attempt... I don't think David Thompson, Dr. J (who I saw in his youth in the ABA) or Grant Hill could've done that. Maybe I'm being a prisoner of the moment, but DAY YUM that young man is giving us some amazing moments.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    As Duke makes the fashion statement 'White is the new Black"

Game #24 - Louisville - SCT10 #3 - Cam Reddish makes a great ESPN SCT10 debut with an 'area code' 3 off a between the legs assist from Barrett.
    (20 SCT10 in 24 Games)
    Could have been first, but for a Tatum jam (#2), and KY loss at the buzzer (#1), which made for a pretty good trio of highlights from a Duke Blue perspective..

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #25 - N C State - zippo
    (20 SCT10 in 25 Games)
    Saturdays are tough to break into, lots of other worthy highlights.
    Lots of good, but not great, Duke plays.

Larry
    DevilHorse

(20 SCT10 in 25 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Lots of nice dunks though. Will be interested in the count. First three scores of the second half were dunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Lots of nice dunks though. Will be interested in the count. First three scores of the second half were dunks.
    I'd like to know the count too...Coach K mentioned Jack's dunk as part of an answer to his question in the post game. He also said Jack is playing well but is not but "a shell of who he was" (I think that was the phrase he used...something along those lines) early in the year. Didn't come across as criticism, more statement of fact, with encouragement that he'll get back to being Jack.

That's what I'm talking about. Double-figure dunks for the first time since the Stetson game (10 dunks vs. NCSU): Marques 3; Zion 3; Jack 2; Cam 1; RJ 1

So far, for the season, in 25 games:

Zion 52;
    RJ 27;
    Marques 27;
    Javin 16;
    Jack 8;
    Cam 5;
    Justin 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 139

After 25 games last year's team had 155 dunks. Marvin had 65 and Wendell had 42. Grayson had 12, Javin had 11, and Marques had 9. So, we are 16 behind last season's record-setting pace. Zion is 13 behind Marvin's record-setting pace. Zion + RJ are 28 behind Marvin + Wendell. Zion + RJ + Marques are 13 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson. Zion + RJ + Marques + Javin are 8 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson + Javin. Top 5 vs. top 5, this year's team is 9 behind last year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    So far, for the season, in 25 games:

Zion 52;

After 25 games last year's team had 155 dunks. Marvin had 65
    We have now entered the window of 4 games that Marvin missed due to injury. It will be interesting to see how much ground Zion can gain on MB over the next few games to see if this race can become a bit more competitive.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We have now entered the window of 4 games that Marvin missed due to injury. It will be interesting to see how much ground Zion can gain on MB over the next few games to see if this race can become a bit more competitive.
    Jason... I thoroughly enjoy the podcasts (props to Sam and Donald too!!!) and I remember before the season started that you thought this team... especially Zion... would destroy the dunk records that last year recorded (Marvin, Wendell, Grayson, etc). I've been interested since then to see how this year's team does too. GO DUKE!!! Especially tomorrow...

Zion only played 33 seconds, and without him we only had four dunks against UNC: 3 by Javin and 1 by RJ.

So far, for the season, in 26 games:

Zion 52;
    RJ 28;
    Marques 27;
    Javin 19;
    Jack 8;
    Cam 5;
    Justin 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 143

After 26 games last year's team had 158 dunks. Marvin had 65 and Wendell had 43. Javin had 13, Grayson had 12, and Marques had 9. So, we are 15 behind last season's record-setting pace. Zion is still 13 behind Marvin's record-setting pace. Zion + RJ are 28 behind Marvin + Wendell. Zion + RJ + Marques are 14 behind Marvin + Wendell + Javin. Zion + RJ + Marques + Javin are 7 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson + Javin. Top 5 vs. top 5, this year's team is 8 behind last year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Sadly, probably not very much.

Sadly, probably not very much.
    Unless you count how badly he dunked Nike's stock price tomorrow...

(20 SCT10 in 25 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #26 - UNC - Nothing
    (20 SCT10 in 26 Games)

Time to get off the matt and make new highlights!

Larry
    DevilHorse

No Zion, four dunks against Syracuse: 1 each by Javin, Alex, RJ, and Marques.

So far, for the season, in 27 games:

Zion 52;
    RJ 29;
    Marques 28;
    Javin 20;
    Jack 8;
    Cam 5;
    Justin 3;
    AOC 2.

TOTAL: 147

We already have four players with 20+ dunks, something that in entire seasons has only happened once before in Duke history (1998-99; can you name the four 20+ dunkers?).

After 27 games last year's team had 161 dunks. Marvin had 65 and Wendell had 43. Javin had 13, Grayson had 13, and Marques and Trevon each had 9. So, we are 14 behind last season's record-setting pace. Zion is still 13 behind Marvin's record-setting pace. Zion + RJ are 27 behind Marvin + Wendell. Zion + RJ + Marques are 12 behind Marvin + Wendell + Javin. Zion + RJ + Marques + Javin are 7 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson + Javin. Top 5 vs. top 5, this year's team is 6 behind last year's team.

Game #26 - UNC - Nothing
    (20 SCT10 in 26 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #27 - Syracuse - Nothing
    (20 SCT10 in 27 Games)

I suppose if the defender fell over on that RJ ball fake they might have had something. But it seems they need ever more spectacular stuff. A Lot of nice plays but not too many 'did you see that' plays.

Larry
    DevilHorse

No Zion, four dunks against Syracuse: 1 each by Javin, Alex, RJ, and Marques.

So far, for the season, in 27 games:

Zion 52;
    RJ 29;
    Marques 28;
    Javin 20;
    Jack 8;
    Cam 5;
    Justin 3;
    AOC 2.

TOTAL: 147

We already have four players with 20+ dunks, something that in entire seasons has only happened once before in Duke history (1998-99; can you name the four 20+ dunkers?).

After 27 games last year's team had 161 dunks. Marvin had 65 and Wendell had 43. Javin had 13, Grayson had 13, and Marques and Trevon each had 9. So, we are 14 behind last season's record-setting pace. Zion is still 13 behind Marvin's record-setting pace. Zion + RJ are 27 behind Marvin + Wendell. Zion + RJ + Marques are 12 behind Marvin + Wendell + Javin. Zion + RJ + Marques + Javin are 7 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson + Javin. Top 5 vs. top 5, this year's team is 6 behind last year's team.
    1998-99 20+ dunkers:
    Brand
    Maggette
    Carrawell
    James

That would be my guess. I don’t remember Avery as a dunker, maybe Battier dunked a lot that year, I don’t recall.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    1998-99 20+ dunkers:
    Brand
    Maggette
    Carrawell
    James

That would be my guess. I don’t remember Avery as a dunker, maybe Battier dunked a lot that year, I don’t recall.
    Fun question... I wouldn't rule out Burgess—he didn't score as much as the others, but it's a fair bet that dunks were his primary means of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    1998-99 20+ dunkers:
    Brand
    Maggette
    Carrawell
    James

You got three out of four (Nate James was 5th on the team with 12 dunks).

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Fun question... I wouldn't rule out Burgess—he didn't score as much as the others, but it's a fair bet that dunks were his primary means of doing so.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Chris Burgess was actually 2nd on the team in dunks, with 34.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I thought about that- he played in every game, so that is a dunk basically every other game, and at 5ppg, about half his scoring sounds reasonable.

Game #26 - UNC - Nothing
    (20 SCT10 in 26 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    So I guess we're not counting entire talk shows dedicated to Zion, then? Zion generated more content in 33secs than may have been dedicated to the team in its previous 5 games. Maybe 10. Entire segments of regular news broadcasts were Zion-specific. Still that clips was probably more Not-Top-10.

Only two dunks against Virginia Tech, both by Marques.

So far, for the season, in 28 games:

Zion 52;
    Marques 30;
    RJ 29;
    Javin 20;
    Jack 8;
    Cam 5;
    Justin 3;
    AOC 2.

TOTAL: 149

In last season's 28th game, we had 14 dunks against Louisville, giving last year's team 175 dunks. Marvin had 65 and Wendell had 46. Javin had 15, Grayson had 14, Marques had 13, and Trevon had 10. So, we are now 26 behind last season's record-setting pace. Zion is still 13 behind Marvin's record-setting pace. Zion + Marques are 29 behind Marvin + Wendell. Zion + Marques + RJ are 15 behind Marvin + Wendell + Javin. Zion + Marques + RJ + Javin are 9 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson + Javin. Top 5 vs. top 5, this year's team is 14 behind last year's team.