Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duke Dunk Report - 2019

What do y’all think: will Zion, the dunking legend, pass Marvin?

I thought Bolden had two dunks - the alley pop from Barrett and the inbounds play

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I thought Bolden had two dunks - the alley pop from Barrett and the inbounds play
    He definitely did.

Dangers of relying on box scores/play-by-play - the official log of the alley oop to Bolden (which, if I'm remembering correctly, came right before the end of the half) is:

GOOD! JUMPER by Marques Bolden [PNT]00:41 ASSIST by R.J. Barrett
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    GOOD! JUMPER by Marques Bolden [PNT]00:41 ASSIST by R.J. Barrett
    In fairness, Bolden did jump on that play
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Dangers of relying on box scores/play-by-play...
    Perhaps, but the official box is the only thing I can reasonably rely on. I'm sure we got snookered out of at least one dunk last year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Perhaps, but the official box is the only thing I can reasonably rely on. I'm sure we got snookered out of at least one dunk last year too.
    The box score on ncaa.com credits Duke with 7 dunks (including both by Bolden)

https://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-men/d1/2018/11/06/kentucky-duke/play-by-play

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    He definitely did.
    Yeah, I looked at the play by play on GoDuke and it lists the alley oop wrong

So Zion would have to average roughly 2.5 dunks per game or slightly more to tie Bagley’s total (keeping in mind that Bagley missed four games plus most of the MSU game due to injury). Looks like he’s right on pace.

Were I better at social media-ing, I'd put ESPN onto the fact that one of the best highlight alley-oops on the season was called a jumper. You'd have to think a little ribbing from national media would get the sports info office to at least look into it. Maybe Zion should let his 1.2 million Instagram followers know.

I missed the game, but just saw the off the glass pass to Barrett.

I know what is going on. Whoever is keeping stats just keeps spilling drinks on the keyboard when stuff like that goes down.

Could have sworn that RJ had two dunks, but I guess I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Could have sworn that RJ had two dunks, but I guess I'm wrong.
    RJ had a breakaway that he looked like he was going to dunk but instead he dropped it in from about an inch away from the rim. When I saw it, I wondered whether he'd get credit for a dunk or not, but neither GoDuke nor NCAA.com ended up giving it to him so I guess not. Maybe that was what you were thinking of?

That could be, yeah!

A little background to this years statistics

I wanted to give this thread a quick reply and let everyone know why there may be a discrepancy with the play by play vs. the box scores. The NCAA has mandated that all schools use a new statistics program starting for the 2019-2020 season. NEXT season, everyone will have to use the new software. THIS season, 2018-2019 it is optional and Duke has opted in. This is the first season we are using the software program after using the same program for the last 15 years.

The benefit of this is that we can help the developers get any kinks worked out before it has to be used universally next season, but the downside is there may be some kinks. When inputting the plays, there is an option for dunk and also an option for alley oop. It had been presumed that an alley oop would show up as "Alley-Oop" in the play by play and not as a jumper. As the official scorer for Duke (and have been for the last 20 years and 24 out of the last 27) I've sent a request to the software company to look into adding an alley-oop dunk option as well as relabeling the current alley-oop option as a layup in the play by play.

I just hope this helps to clarify some things so that everyone understands what is going on rather than disparaging people for being incompetent, that give a lot of time for every home game because of their love of Duke

Thanks
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    I wanted to give this thread a quick reply and let everyone know why there may be a discrepancy with the play by play vs. the box scores. The NCAA has mandated that all schools use a new statistics program starting for the 2019-2020 season. NEXT season, everyone will have to use the new software. THIS season, 2018-2019 it is optional and Duke has opted in. This is the first season we are using the software program after using the same program for the last 15 years.

The benefit of this is that we can help the developers get any kinks worked out before it has to be used universally next season, but the downside is there may be some kinks. When inputting the plays, there is an option for dunk and also an option for alley oop. It had been presumed that an alley oop would show up as "Alley-Oop" in the play by play and not as a jumper. As the official scorer for Duke (and have been for the last 20 years and 24 out of the last 27) I've sent a request to the software company to look into adding an alley-oop dunk option as well as relabeling the current alley-oop option as a layup in the play by play.

I just hope this helps to clarify some things so that everyone understands what is going on rather than disparaging people for being incompetent, that give a lot of time for every home game because of their love of Duke

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your response. This is exactly what I hypothesized might be the problem. If we want an accurate source on dunks, should we use the NCAA.com site or is there somewhere else where that data is being kept?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post

Thanks
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate your explaining the situation. That said, the primary purpose of record keeping is to keep accurate records, and Duke has significantly missed that directive in this stat category. When you sign up as a beta tester for some piece of software, you accept that there might be some growing pains. In this case, the growing pain seems to be improper reporting of alley-oops as jumpers rather than dunks. That being the case, if Duke needs to manually edit the box to meet the goal of accurate records, then that's what they ought to be doing, not simply chalking it simply chalking it up to a software issue.

I write software. I deal with beta customers. I know sometimes things can be rough. Duke needs to ensure it's record keeping is accurate. Right now, it is not. So while I agree that people shouldn't be called incompetent, I also don't believe this is an acceptable situation and hope Duke corrects this moving forward, with or without a fix to the underlying software.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate your explaining the situation. That said, the primary purpose of record keeping is to keep accurate records, and Duke has significantly missed that directive in this stat category. When you sign up as a beta tester for some piece of software, you accept that there might be some growing pains. In this case, the growing pain seems to be improper reporting of alley-oops as jumpers rather than dunks. That being the case, if Duke needs to manually edit the box to meet the goal of accurate records, then that's what they ought to be doing, not simply chalking it simply chalking it up to a software issue.

I write software. I deal with beta customers. I know sometimes things can be rough. Duke needs to ensure it's record keeping is accurate. Right now, it is not. So while I agree that people shouldn't be called incompetent, I also don't believe this is an acceptable situation and hope Duke corrects this moving forward, with or without a fix to the underlying software.
    I agree with your response here, and I also appreciate your inside info. So let me ask, wouldn't this be a very simple software situation? I mean, keeping hoop stats is not that difficult - and I can't imagine that software to compile and compare those stats would be pretty easy pickings as far as software goes. Am I right here with my instincts, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I agree with your response here, and I also appreciate your inside info. So let me ask, wouldn't this be a very simple software situation? I mean, keeping hoop stats is not that difficult - and I can't imagine that software to compile and compare those stats would be pretty easy pickings as far as software goes. Am I right here with my instincts, or am I missing something?
    Yes. and I would hope the NCAA, given they're intending to roll this out nationwide next year, would be checking stats collected by this new system for discrepancies with stats collected the old way. It shouldn't take a bunch of rag tag arm-chair statisticians on DBR (who you callin rag tag??!!?) to identify a major issue like this. What other potential issues are there that we might be missing because we don't follow every stat as closely as dunks? I hope someone's looking, at least.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

I also write software as my day job so I understand as well the pitfalls that might come being part of an initial roll out. This software has been used in the NBA and in FIBA for a while now so it's been tested. You can also be assured that, in fact, yes, we try to be as accurate as possible during the game and after it is over to make sure statistics are correct based on the score book as well. We aren't just doing this willy nilly and to presume that we don't care about accuracy is just wrong. That's all I'm going to say on that lest I get dinged by the mods

I have found the issue with this thread and I will tell you that if you are going by box scores, then you need to use the NCAA box. If you are using the play by play then use the LiveStats play by play on the Duke page rather than the "Stats" link that shows up. The "Stats" link is a product of uploading the game to the cloud per the new software and the NCAA and then importing it into the old software as necessary this year (only) to update statistics. The play by play there has a translation issue with some of the codes and is allocating them incorrectly. Again, use the LiveStats link or the NCAA box score if you are going to calculate Dunks for the year. I can't speak for the SID office on how they are doing it but I'm sure they'll be using the NCAA as well since that's what is uploaded when the game is wrapped up.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC