Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I'm pretty much in the school of, "if the player is giving the ball a downward impetus into the basket when released then it's a dunk."

Consider, if Grant Hill's hand hadn't touched the rim during his shot against Kansas in 1991 would that have disqualified it from being a dunk? I don't think so.

Linky.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I'm pretty much in the school of, "if the player is giving the ball a downward impetus into the basket when released then it's a dunk."

Consider, if Grant Hill's hand hadn't touched the rim during his shot against Kansas in 1991 would that have disqualified it from being a dunk? I don't think so.

Linky.
    I agree, but don't think that this is the scoring issue here. Each game we've played this season, at least one dunk has been labeled a "jumper" in the official Duke play-by-play. If it was a technical issue, they would have called it a layup, not a jumper. These are just mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Would any of the hands have to be within the cylinder, during the throw down, to make a difference as to a dunk vs. a shot down?

If I was a strong guy like Zion, I might perfect some non-touch throw down techniques to preserve the feeling in my fingers. I thought some of his two hand throw downs did just that, and evaded the cylinder. Definitely a dunk.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I don't think so (again just my opinion). I think the key is that the hand has to be above the rim and the ball has to be forced down into the cylinder. Basically, to me, if you get up high enough to dunk and make the correct downward motion (not a finger-roll) then it is a dunk. Now if you want to pull the rim down for effect, that's nice also but not necessary.

Weeeelllll

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Linky.
    Although not in a game, Kyle Singler has a trick shot at the 28 second point in his Video #2 where he jumps off of a second level set of seats, into a pool, shoots a ball down into a basket (and obviously makes it). Although exaggerated, would it be a dunk?

https://today.duke.edu/2011/05/buckets

Good to see Singler again anyway.

Just being a Devil's Advocate (I don't know whose side that makes me).

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Although not in a game, Kyle Singler has a trick shot at the 28 second point in his Video #2 where he jumps off of a second level set of seats, into a pool, shoots a ball down into a basket (and obviously makes it). Although exaggerated, would it be a dunk?

https://today.duke.edu/2011/05/buckets
    Actually, in the video, the ball went up slightly as it left Kyle's hands before it started it's downward trajectory, so he did not "shoot the ball down into a basket."

But, if he had, I say anyone who can get 15 feet above the basket during a game and shoot downward through the hoop deserves credit in his dunk stats. It's possible Zion may prove this theorem sometime this season, we'll just have to wait and see.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe your hand or hands have to make forcible contact with the rim to count as a dunk. For example, as awesome as this play is I don’t consider it a dunk. Griffin throws the ball through the hoop, with his fingers just barely grazing the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I believe your hand or hands have to make forcible contact with the rim to count as a dunk. For example, as awesome as this play is I don’t consider it a dunk. Griffin throws the ball through the hoop, with his fingers just barely grazing the rim.

Dissent... that is absolutely a dunk.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I agree with you.

Wow, this crowd can argue any mundane point! 😵

Oh my. I don’t think Perkins was surreptitiously looking up at the scoreboard to see if was laid up on.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, if that wasn't a dunk then there's no point to this thread.

Being very easily distractable this Friday afternoon, I went and discovered that there is an actual term called “throw-in dunk,” or “thrunk” for short. I had no idea. I guess I stand corrected, if YouTube thinks this is a dunk then it must be so.

I will stand firm on one point, however - if a player jumps from the free throw line and then performs a throw-in dunk, that absolutely does NOT count as a free throw line dunk. His hand has to actually grab the rim. I will take that to my grave.

I will stand firm on one point, however - if a player jumps from the free throw line and then performs a throw-in dunk, that absolutely does NOT count as a free throw line dunk. His hand has to actually grab the rim. I will take that to my grave.
    Oh great. Now I’m going to be watching Zion dunk from the free throw line all day.
    Carolina delenda est

^^ Oh, I definitely consider that a dunk but to each their own. As for the Singler shot, as Kedsy points out the ball is pushed out and up not down so not a dunk. He actually uses a normal shooting form where his hands are under the ball not the top. I guess for the sake of clearity the angle at which the ball leaves the hands may need to be concidered. I guess the ball would need to be leave the hand at say no more than 10 degrees from vertical? Never thought the definition of a dunk would need to get so technical

That is an interesting case and one where my angle the ball leaves the hand stipulation may be important. Logistically due to the distance, one must travel in the air, the player isn't going to get as high off the ground as when he jumps from 2-3 feet away so his hand won't get as high. This would mean that the ball would have a much more horizontal angle if he was at the rim. I guess I would have to see the attempt, but I am inclined to agree with you.

Thankfully, no one has mentioned Sean May, coffee and 220px-Krispykremesbeingmade.JPG yet.

Oops.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thankfully, no one has mentioned Sean May, coffee and 220px-Krispykremesbeingmade.JPG yet.

Oops.
    I'll have 12 please.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'll have 12 please.
    The official scorer said you should have 14.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I remember those close calls and wondered at the time if they were dunks or not.

Is there a definition of what is a dunk? Seems like a silly question, but probably isn't. If a player guides a ball down trough the rim without propelling it, is it still a dunk?

Is there a difference between a slam dunk and a regular dunk?
    I just love to instigate facilitate good healthy DBR discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The official scorer said you should have 14.
    One of these days I'll be able to spork Devildeac again.