Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    I’m inclined to call any shot that would otherwise be offensive interference a dunk. So a dunk.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I’m inclined to call any shot that would otherwise be offensive interference a dunk. So a dunk.

-jk
    This is a great way of explaining the standard, or what should be the standard. Dunking is indeed "offensive interference" under the rules, it's just dunks are allowed specifically as an exclusion to the rule. Tipping a ball in that is still on the rim is still not a legal hoop of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Ok, time to get philosophical. Zion had two clear alley-oop dunks: one at 10:49 in the first half, and one with 16:19 left in the second half. But when was his third dunk? The only candidate is this play, with 14:33 left in the second half--let's watch:

Edit: The video is supposed to start at the 2:58 mark, having trouble embedding it that way

Bolden pops to the top of the key, receives a pass, and immediately makes a great read to see Zion has his man sealed inside (it happened so quick I'm wondering if this is a designed play). He throws the lob, Zion catches it and...then what? The ball went through the basket. Zion's hands were above the rim, and maybe touched the rim on the way down? Unclear. There's a noise, was that Zion's hand on the rim? I wish we had more replays.

I've seen it counted as a layup in the ESPN box score, but as a dunk by CBS, by the NCAA, and by others.

So, was that play a dunk?

As I watched real time, I thought "that's a dunk, but there will be discussion about it." I still think it's a dunk.

It was a dunk, but not a SLAM - Those were bouncing off the rim on Zion last night.

I feel a little embarrassed, posting to this thread after a game in which we got outdunked 10 to 1. Though perhaps Zion not playing in the 2nd half had an effect on both of those numbers. In any event, just one dunk against Florida State, by RJ.

So far, for the season, in 15 games:

Zion 33;
    RJ 20;
    Marques 17;
    Javin 15;
    Jack 4;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 96

FWIW, last year's team had 99 dunks after 15 games, so this year's team is three behind last season's record-setting pace. At this point last season, Marvin had 40 and Wendell had 24. Javin had 10, Grayson had 9 and Trevon had 7. So (a) Zion is seven behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are 11 behind Marvin + Wendell; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are four behind Marvin, Wendell, and Javin; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are two ahead of Marvin, Wendell, Javin, and Grayson; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team behind last year's team, 90 to 89.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Game #14 - Wake Forest - SCT10 #8 - Zion assist in the lane to DiLaurier
    Game #14 - Wake Forest - SCT10 #6 - RJ Barrett ankle breaking jab step fake on Wake player, pull back 3pt jumper
    (14 SCT10 in 14 games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #15 - Florida State - SCT10 #4 - Cam Reddish last (0.8) second buzzer beater [the top 3 were worthy, although I liked RJ's lone dunk in the game]

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    In any event, just one dunk against Florida State, by RJ.
    That was some dunk though. Feel like it was under the radar even when it happened based on the way it unfolded in transition, the announcers not really paying attention as it was happening, and somehow no foul getting called despite tons of contact that RJ dunked right through anyway. Then it got somewhat lost amidst the excitement of Cam's game winner. Early leader for underrated dunk of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    That was some dunk though. Feel like it was under the radar even when it happened based on the way it unfolded in transition, the announcers not really paying attention as it was happening, and somehow no foul getting called despite tons of contact that RJ dunked right through anyway. Then it got somewhat lost amidst the excitement of Cam's game winner. Early leader for underrated dunk of the season.
    It was a pretty amazing fast break, if I recall correctly, as it came right after FSU put down a dunk on us so it was a quick inbound to around half court and RJ just took off and beat the Noles down court. To be fair, though [again, if I recall correctly], I believe one of the FSU players had gone down near the 3-point line on the previous play (was it Forrest?), so they were a man down on the break... It wasn't one of those backboard-rattling dunks, but more of a ridiculously fast-launch, emphatic, "ain't no way you're defending this with a foul, because you ain't fast enough to get up in the air to foul me" type throw-down. I think my reaction was simply, "wow!".

The other play that made me chuckle at the ridiculous athletic display last night was Cam's reverse layup (I think it was in the first half), where it initially appeared that he went up too early to try a reverse, but his ability to hang and his long arms made it end up looking so simple and fluid. I recall wincing when he started the maneuver, thinking a sure block was coming, then uttering a "holy [expletive]—that was pretty freaking amazing, for a layup!" Great to see Cam have such a phenomenal outing, given how his offensive game has been struggling of late [despite that, his D has been pretty consistently amazing].

With Tre in the game, we had two dunks in five minutes. Without Tre, we went dunkless in 40 minutes. Coincidence? I think not.

Anyway, two dunks against Syracuse, one each from Zion and RJ.

So far, for the season, in 16 games:

Zion 34;
    RJ 21;
    Marques 17;
    Javin 15;
    Jack 4;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 98

FWIW, last year's team had 105 dunks after 16 games, so after getting only three dunks total the last two games, this year's team is now seven behind last season's record-setting pace. At this point last season, Marvin had 43 and Wendell had 27. Javin had 10, Grayson had 9 and Trevon had 7. So (a) Zion is nine behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are 15 behind Marvin + Wendell; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are eight behind Marvin, Wendell, and Javin; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are two behind Marvin, Wendell, Javin, and Grayson; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team behind last year's team, 96 to 91.

Game #15 - Florida State - SCT10 #4 - Cam Reddish last (0.8) second buzzer beater [the top 3 were worthy, although I liked RJ's lone dunk in the game]

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game # 16 - Syracuse - Zippo for Duke [although the Syracuse shot at the half was #1]
    (15 SCTop10 in 16 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse

Four dunks against Virginia, two each from Zion and Jack.

So far, for the season, in 17 games:

Zion 36;
    RJ 21;
    Marques 17;
    Javin 15;
    Jack 6;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 102

FWIW, last year's team had 111 dunks after 17 games, so this year's team is now nine behind last season's record-setting pace. At this point last season, Marvin had 49 and Wendell had 27. Javin had 10, Grayson had 9 and Trevon had 7. So (a) Zion is 13 behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are 19 behind Marvin + Wendell; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are 12 behind Marvin, Wendell, and Javin; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are six behind Marvin, Wendell, Javin, and Grayson; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team behind last year's team, 102 to 95.

Game # 16 - Syracuse - Zippo for Duke [although the Syracuse shot at the half was #1]
    (15 SCTop10 in 16 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Yes Virginia, there is a Zion Clause in your contract (or nightmares)..

Game #17 - Virginia - Can you guess? Zion dribbles through 4 players, gets fouled on Right Hand jam - #1 on a Saturday night
    (16 SCTop10 in 17 Games)

Bonus Highlight, they showed all of Zion's Slams, in sequence and count, in a montage, in the middle of the show, count was 36!
    Good math all around.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Five dunks against Pitt, two each from Zion and Marques, plus one from RJ.

So far, for the season, in 18 games:

Zion 38;
    RJ 22;
    Marques 19;
    Javin 15;
    Jack 6;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 107

FWIW, last year's team had 116 dunks after 18 games, so this year's team is still nine behind last season's record-setting pace. At this point last season, Marvin had 50 and Wendell had 30. Javin had 10, Grayson had 10 and Trevon had 7. So (a) Zion is 12 behind Marvin; (b) Zion + RJ are 20 behind Marvin + Wendell; (c) Zion, RJ, and Marques are 11 behind Marvin, Wendell, and Javin; (d) Zion, RJ, Marques, and Javin are six behind Marvin, Wendell, Javin, and Grayson; and (e) top five vs. top five has this year's team behind last year's team, 107 to 100.

Yes Virginia, there is a Zion Clause in your contract (or nightmares)..

Game #17 - Virginia - Can you guess? Zion dribbles through 4 players, gets fouled on Right Hand jam - #1 on a Saturday night
    (16 SCTop10 in 17 Games)

Bonus Highlight, they showed all of Zion's Slams, in sequence and count, in a montage, in the middle of the show, count was 36!
    Good math all around.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #18 - Pittsburgh - Zip
    (16 SCTop10 in 18 Games)

(16 SCTop10 in 18 Games)
    16 top ten appearances in 18 games???? Has anyone ever done that?????

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    16 top ten appearances in 18 games???? Has anyone ever done that?????
    Who would count

Larry
    DevilHorse

I'm out of town, so just the facts and I'll add the comps to last season tomorrow.

Six dunks against Georgia Tech, four from Zion and one each from Marques and RJ.

So far, for the season, in 19 games:

Zion 42;
    RJ 23;
    Marques 20;
    Javin 15;
    Jack 6;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 113

(16 SCTop10 in 18 Games)
    Game #19 - Georgia Tech - Zip (Saturday is a tough night. Lots of good highlights to beat)
    (16 SCTop10 in 19 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse

Four dunks against Notre Dame, two from Marques, one each for Javin and RJ. None by Zion.

So far, for the season, in 20 games:

Zion 42;
    RJ 24;
    Marques 22;
    Javin 16;
    Jack 6;
    Justin 3;
    Cam 3;
    AOC 1.

TOTAL: 117

FWIW, after 20 games last year's team had 127 dunks. Marvin had 54 and Wendell had 33. Grayson and Javin each had 11 and Trevon had 7. So, we are 10 behind last season's record-setting pace. Zion is 12 behind Marvin's record-setting pace. Zion + RJ are 21 behind Marvin + Wendell. Zion + RJ + Marques are 10 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson. Zion + RJ + Marques + Javin are 5 behind Marvin + Wendell + Grayson + Javin. Top 5 vs. top 5, this year's team is 6 behind last year's team.

Game #19 - Georgia Tech - Zip (Saturday is a tough night. Lots of good highlights to beat)
    (16 SCTop10 in 19 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Game #20 - Notre Dame - nada (expecting the spectacular, we'll have to settle for great)
    (16 SCTop10 in 20 Games)

Larry
    DevilHorse