Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummm... I am not saying Duke literally pays for strippers/hookers, but let me assure you that basketball players at Duke are swimming in offers from women on campus. At least back in my day (the late 1980s) if a player wanted to be with a different gorgeous woman every night, he would have no trouble at all doing that.

-Jason "yes, I said every night... I am not exaggerating" Evans
    That doesn't happen nearly as much these days with everybody having a camera in their pocket and the proliferation of social media. These guys have to be a lot more careful and can't "go out" as much as they used to although yes, they're still highly sought after by women. I used to regularly see guys (and sometimes during the basketball season) out in the early 2000s. Facebook came to Duke in Spring of 2004...There is a lot more scrutiny now and they don't want their face plastered in a bad light. Duke basketball makes sure these guys are well versed in this stuff and have the proper controls in place. Laettner drinking from a keg on the main quad (in the early 90s) doesn't happen really anymore...Also, RIP kegs on the quad, so nobody is doing that anymore! Although we did get to witness Hansbrough jump from the second floor of a frat house into a pool more recently.

Ummm... I am not saying Duke literally pays for strippers/hookers, but let me assure you that basketball players at Duke are swimming in offers from women on campus. At least back in my day (the late 1980s) if a player wanted to be with a different gorgeous woman every night, he would have no trouble at all doing that.

-Jason "yes, I said every night... I am not exaggerating" Evans
    But...that is not administration sponsored and paid for.

ETA: Plus you know my original comment was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek!

How is this going to work? Will there be G league draft? Will the 18 year olds be eligible for the NBA draft but just not eligible to play in the NBA for a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    This is better for the NBA than getting rid of the minimum age requirement...
    That’s an interesting angle as well - will the NBA choose NOT to rescind the OAD rule and use this as a reason why? It certainly saves them a ton of money to pay out $125k rather than the first year of a rookie deal, and they still get to evaluate players for an extra year before teams have to decide whether to draft them.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That’s an interesting angle as well - will the NBA choose NOT to rescind the OAD rule and use this as a reason why? It certainly saves them a ton of money to pay out $125k rather than the first year of a rookie deal, and they still get to evaluate players for an extra year before teams have to decide whether to draft them.
    Could this actually be the first steps in what could eventually grow into a true NBA farm system, a la baseball's minor leagues? Is there a market?

To expand on my comment about diminishing or negative returns from additional practice time, would there be any injury concerns about the constant practice grind and the extra ~10 games per season or so?

Folks who constantly talk about Duke players getting fatigued from too many minutes should be very careful with their answers here

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Could this actually be the first steps in what could eventually grow into a true NBA farm system, a la baseball's minor leagues? Is there a market?
    I'm pretty sure the NBA has explicitly stated that this is an intention of theirs. The first step was announcing that they wanted to get an affiliate for every NBA team, the second was two-way contracts. I'm not sure this really helps with the farm system, to be an actual farm system these players would need to be drafted first, not given one year contracts.

Consider this before making any pie or other bets:

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/stat...674414080?s=20

As I said above, the devil is in the details on this:

- When will the NBA/G League announce who to whom this is available? It sounds like a limited list, and the earlier it is announced, the better.
    - Similarly, when will be the deadline for a player to commit?
    - Who is paying for this? The teams? The NBA? Like others, I'm surprised they went to $125k. The results likely would have been the same at $75k with the player being less differentiated from the rest of his teammates who are making much less.
    - Other than players on two-way contracts, are all other G League players essentially free agents who can be signed by any NBA team?

Based on all of these questions, I am somewhat surprised that they plan to implement this for next season. It seems like there is a lot to be worked out and they need some lead time in place so that everyone can respond accordingly.

I think the driving factor for many players will be potential endorsement dollars vs. the $125k. If a player finds out that Nike will offer them millions, guaranteed, this is very appealing. If they are just getting the $125k (not that it is a trivial sum), but are uncertain of other income, it is still appealing for someone who really needs the money and/or has absolutely no interest in being in school, but it is less appealing for many others. I don't know how the NCAA will feel about these prospects talking to shoe companies, because a wise prospect will be negotiating with a shoe company while making this decision.

I'm not allowed to make pie bets any more according to my wife, but I would be willing to make some kind of wager that at least 5 players go this route in 2019.

Here is a key line from the ESPN story:

• $125k
    • Endorsements
    • Agents and advisers to help guide you
    • As much practice time as you want
    • NBA-approved trainers and coaching staff
    • No classes

Why would James Wiseman, Cole Anthony, Vernon Carey, Jaden McDaniels, and Isaiah Stewart choose to go to college where they play for free and don't get any of the other benefits? The only thing they get is a fan base of college hoops followers who have 6 months of attachment to them and some extra name recognition from playing college games on TV.

-Jason "this is a no brainer for a top 5 prospect" Evans
    I'm not disagreeing the G-League path sounds pretty good, but there's certainly still benefits to college . . .

1. Much better coaching within the elite D-1 programs than anywhere in the G-League. Also playing against better coached teams can potentially help players improve as much as they would playing in the G-League.

2. Education . . . as dumb as that sounds, you're still getting free classes, and if you're going to a school as good as Duke, that's worth an awful lot.

3. Having a (relatively) normal social life, being around other kids your age and developing social skills

4. Getting a head start in regards to national relevance, TV exposure, developing a fan base. I would not discount the name recognition and fans from playing big time college hoops. It's a huge jump start for a player's marketability, and recognizable athletes are much more likely to get big endorsement deals. Nobody is lining up to buy some G-League kid's shoes. Getting lucrative endorsements while playing in the G-League won't be easy.

5. If you end up being a "bust," you'll have the option to stay in school, work on a degree, and keep improving your game in hopes that your draft stock rises. If you start in the G-League and don't play well, you could wind up never breaking out.
    Last edited by kAzE; 10-18-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    To expand on my comment about diminishing or negative returns from additional practice time, would there be any injury concerns about the constant practice grind and the extra ~10 games per season or so?
    I would assume it wouldn't be "practice grind", but more walking through offense and defense. Spending more time in the film room.

Remember that college athletes are only allowed 20 hours of coaching a week and no more than 4 per day. If they play in a game, that counts as 3hrs (regardless of the length). There is a lot of weight lifting, conditioning and practicing that is "voluntary and student-led" and can not happen when a coach is around. There are a host of other rules limiting the number of days in a month, etc, etc, etc.

I really doubt the GLeague is just going to grind down these kids and ruin their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm not disagreeing the G-League path sounds pretty good, but there's certainly still benefits to college . . .

1. Much better coaching within the elite D-1 programs than anywhere in the G-League. Also playing against better coached teams can potentially help players improve as much as they would playing in the G-League.
    2. Education . . . as dumb as that sounds, you're still getting free classes, and if you're going to a school as good as Duke, that's worth an awful lot.
    3. Having a (relatively) normal social life, being around other kids your age and developing social skills
    4. Getting a head start in regards to national relevance, TV exposure, developing a fan base. I would not discount the name recognition and fans from playing big time college hoops. It's a huge jump start for a player's marketability, and recognizable athletes are much more likely to get big endorsement deals.
    5. If you end up being a "bust," you'll have the option to stay in school, work on a degree, and keep improving your game in hopes that your draft stock rises. If you start in the G-League and don't play well, you could wind up never breaking out.
    1. I agree the top tier coaches in the NCAA are better than G league coaches but the second half of your statement doesn't really hold water to me. Playing in G League games is going to put you up against stronger, more experienced competition. I don't care how good Coach K or Tom Izzo may be, the competition in the G league is much much better than in college (A GLeague team would be at least a 15-20 point fave against even the very best college teams) and playing against better competition is going to make you better.

2. I think there are no more than maybe 3 or 4 of the top 25 high school players who care about their college education even a little bit. I wish it was otherwise, but these kids have been on the pro basketball train since they were 13.

3. Yup, I agree that the college social life would be a draw... but the GLeague guys are getting $125k (and likely more than that in shoe company bucks) to have fun with. I consider this a wash, at best.

4. 100% agree. This is the primary reason to pick college over the GLeague.

5. Show me a top 25 high school star who is worried about being a bust and not making it in the NBA and I will show you a kid who is probably not going to make it anyway. All these kids have incredible confidence in their abilities. Failing at basketball does not even cross their mind as a possibility. I know some folks who are in the scouting and player development game for the NBA and they are unanimous that if you say to a kid, "but what if you are not good enough?" the kid will look at you like you just told him you come from Jupiter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

1. I agree the top tier coaches in the NCAA are better than G league coaches but the second half of your statement doesn't really hold water to me. Playing in G League games is going to put you up against stronger, more experienced competition. I don't care how good Coach K or Tom Izzo may be, the competition in the G league is much much better than in college (A GLeague team would be at least a 15-20 point fave against even the very best college teams) and playing against better competition is going to make you better.

2. I think there are no more than maybe 3 or 4 of the top 25 high school players who care about their college education even a little bit. I wish it was otherwise, but these kids have been on the pro basketball train since they were 13.

3. Yup, I agree that the college social life would be a draw... but the GLeague guys are getting $125k (and likely more than that in shoe company bucks) to have fun with. I consider this a wash, at best.

4. 100% agree. This is the primary reason to pick college over the GLeague.

5. Show me a top 25 high school star who is worried about being a bust and not making it in the NBA and I will show you a kid who is probably not going to make it anyway. All these kids have incredible confidence in their abilities. Failing at basketball does not even cross their mind as a possibility. I know some folks who are in the scouting and player development game for the NBA and they are unanimous that if you say to a kid, "but what if you are not good enough?" the kid will look at you like you just told him you come from Jupiter.
    I agree with college, right now, giving better exposure. But that could change if the best talent leaves and interest in college bball starts to wane. The possibility of big shoe contracts could draw a few more players to this option. Right now I see it appealing to a few- who probably would have struggled to make it into college.

Still trying to play this out.

So the Westchester Knicks go out and offer Vernon Carey $125K to play one year in the G-League. The alternative is Vernon Carey plays one year in college. In both scenarios, Vernon has injury risk and bust risk. In both scenarios, Vernon enters the 2019 NBA Draft and is subject to the standard NBA payscale for rookies.

So what does he gain?

Gains:
    - $125K
    - Unfettered training and coaching access
    - A bigger step up in competition

What are the risks?
    - He has no guarantee to be with that team in the future, and he gets paid more than most players both on his team and on other teams. What does that mean for the dynamic on the court? May players target him?
    - Bust risk is further heightened, since he can't fall back on college or take longer to develop; but does that matter? Vernon Carey is going to play professional basketball in some capacity in 99.9% of future scenarios.
    - Potentially less exposure. How much less? Unclear. But fairly safe to say his exposure at a top-flight college program would be higher than on a G-League team where he may (or may not) really play that much. But does that really matter all that much? Short run, yes? Long run, no?

What does the NBA team gain?
    - Additional scouting? I call BS. I really don't think an NBA team is going to gain a material scouting advantage in either the G-League or College scenario.
    - Ability to hide a recruit? Would NBA teams hide recruits in order to keep them under wraps and obscure their NBA Draft value?
    - Ability to further market their minor league affiliate? Would these types of players infuse energy and hype to a G-League affiliate? Perhaps teams are looking at this from a marketing perspective?

In summary, I'm not really sure what to think about this. I sort of see this as $125K or $0K. Why would I not take this if I'm a surefire professional basketball player? That said, anyone that is even slightly questionable should probably not take this and risk flaming out spectacularly.

I think the NBA's proposal makes sense. It should benefit the surefires while keeping the questionables away. But I'm still thinking through.

- Chillin

I guess this is all just fine. But once a kid chooses the G League, the door to college (at least a hoop scholarship) is slammed closed. And most of these kids (I would imagine) could not
    afford to pay for college without the aid of hoop scholarships).

So for the kids who know they don't care about academics, I guess there is no downside.

But for other kids who might actually take advantage of college, it could be a bad choice. For example, a kid who chooses the G League and then finds himself to not be the NBA prospect he thought he was, has little recourse except for playing overseas. A kid who chooses college and finds himself not to be an NBA prospect might actually buckle down and get a degree. Perhaps not likely, but certainly possible.
    Conclusion: more doors stay open by going to college...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Consider this before making any pie or other bets:

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/stat...674414080?s=20
    That suggests that NBA agents see that these colleges give these guys A LOT of value despite "not getting paid." Love it.

I'm saying 5 guys who would otherwise have attended college will take this route instead. So, RJ clearly would count. I think for 5 of the top 20, this will make sense.
    Well, here's the top 20 players per 247's composite rankings. If you're willing to stipulate that the 5 have to come from those 20 players, we'll have a deal. On beer, presumably.

I'm worried about a scenario in which the elite high school players reject the Select Contract, and then in order to save face, the NBA starts offering those contracts to lower-ranked recruits and foreign players in order to fill a quota. (Maybe that's overly cynical, however).

Also, the bet is off if the NBA sweetens the pot, e.g. they change the terms of the contract to pay $250,000 instead of $125,000.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I guess this is all just fine. But once a kid chooses the G League, the door to college (at least a hoop scholarship) is slammed closed. And most of these kids (I would imagine) could not
    afford to pay for college without the aid of hoop scholarships).

So for the kids who know they don't care about academics, I guess there is no downside.

But for other kids who might actually take advantage of college, it could be a bad choice. For example, a kid who chooses the G League and then finds himself to not be the NBA prospect he thought he was, has little recourse except for playing overseas. A kid who chooses college and finds himself not to be an NBA prospect might actually buckle down and get a degree. Perhaps not likely, but certainly possible.
    Conclusion: more doors stay open by going to college...
    Also, in the grand scheme, what is $125k to a truly elite NBA prospect, anyways? That's a drop in the ocean if they are truly lottery-bound talents. The national exposure could easily be worth more in the long term. They'll make 20 or 30 times that amount on just their rookie contract if they are the real deal. Keeping doors open (mitigating risk) and getting tons of fans sounds like a fine way to spend a year of your basketball career.

Also, I neglected to mention that G-League players travel around on buses, stay at shoddy motels, and have to pay for a lot of their own expenses. Duke players fly around on NBA jets, eat like kings, and get high level K-Lab people to help them with their movement and conditioning. The G-League life is not as glamorous.

But even though I'm making the G-League sound bad, I don't want to imply that one path is strictly better than the other, but I just don't think it's as much of a no-brainer as it appears to be. I like that this is an option now. It will be a preferable option for some kids, and other kids will still opt for college. There's no downside to this. The kids who want to go to college can go, and the kids who don't care about education can skip it.
    Last edited by kAzE; 10-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Will the G League be working any new TV deals? I would be. People have asked how are teams going to be paying $125K salaries to guys; that could be answered with broader exposure.
    It would also satisfy those players worried about not getting the marketing like they would in college. I'm guessing that the league is about to up their game in a big way, and try to compete with NCAA some. If they want to be successful and make people on the court and off happy, they will have to. If they have the elite kids playing, it will be easier for them to do so.
    I think the G League that you see today, and the G League two years from now are going to be notably different.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Will the G League be working any new TV deals? I would be. People have asked how are teams going to be paying $125K salaries to guys; that could be answered with broader exposure.
    It would also satisfy those players worried about not getting the marketing like they would in college. I'm guessing that the league is about to up their game in a big way, and try to compete with NCAA some. If they want to be successful and make people on the court and off happy, they will have to. If they have the elite kids playing, it will be easier for them to do so.
    I think the G League that you see today, and the G League two years from now are going to be notably different.
    How big is the TV market for that? I would think somewhere between minor league baseball and [current non-NFL pro football league]. Maybe even less than either? Between the long NBA season and the popularity of college ball, it seems like a long shot to garner anything much more than local TV and maybe an a la carte streaming service (which is roughly what minor league baseball has going on I believe).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    How big is the TV market for that? I would think somewhere between minor league baseball and [current non-NFL pro football league]. Maybe even less than either? Between the long NBA season and the popularity of college ball, it seems like a long shot to garner anything much more than local TV and maybe an a la carte streaming service (which is roughly what minor league baseball has going on I believe).
    Look at it this way. Years ago when the WNBA came about, many, many people figured it would flop. And it is still going strong today, with regular coverage and games on tv. I have no doubt that the G League can and will do better than the WNBA. It doesn't mean it is ever going to be as big as NCAA ball, but it will be bigger than it is now and find it's niche.

Edit..one thing the WNBA does smartly is it has its season at a different time of year. The G League obviously has the other games to compete with at the same time of year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."