Halloween review

Saw a screening the other night and I really enjoyed it. Tons of fan service and callbacks to the original. Not a lot of gore (for a horror movie). I am not a horror fan, but I felt tension throughout and had a good time.

Sadly, my co-host of the movie review podcast was less enthused than I was about it. He didn't hate it, but felt there was too much fan service and it took him out of the movie.

Anyway, feel free to check out the Jason and Josh Fight About the Moviepodcast for our full thoughts... it is a quick, easy 15 minute listen.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...ht-3-halloween

-Jason "Jamie Lee Curtis is so great in this film... she's worth the price of admission all by herself" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "Jamie Lee Curtis is so great in this film... she's worth the price of admission all by herself" Evans
    Halloween was her first movie, wasn't it?

Here is a nic mashup of scenes and featurettes about the iconic mask in the movie. Enjoy and try not to be terrified.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Caught a showing yesterday. Enjoyed it overall, but had some problems with it. Pieces of the humor missed for me. I did not care for the subplot with the doctor.

Highlight of the film for me was the babysitter/kid interaction. Apparently it was all improved.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Caught a showing yesterday. Enjoyed it overall, but had some problems with it. Pieces of the humor missed for me. I did not care for the subplot with the doctor.

Highlight of the film for me was the babysitter/kid interaction. Apparently it was all improved.
    I agree with all of this. I enjoyed most of the humor, especially the kid/babysitter. Jason's review was also dead-on: this movie was made for horror fans. There were even some references to the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre with the girl running through the woods and montage of shrieks. It was definitely worth re-watching the original Halloween movie and then seeing this one to fully appreciate all the fan service references.

This movie was just fun with popcorn this time of year - outstanding job with suspense, mood, and portraying Meyers as an uber-scary epitome of pure evil. I even thought he was going to stab the crying baby, but glad he did not. And of course Jamie Lee Curtis was so good she was worth the price of admission. Her PTSD portrayal was phenomenal.

I'd give the movie 8.5/10. It would be 9/10, but I also thought the new psychiatrist subplot was stupid and just went off the rails. But that wasn't too distracting, and the movie was very well done for the majority of running time. I loved the slowly inflating busted jack-O-Lantern to open. Sneak a good pumpkin beer into this one (NoDa Gordgoeus). Jason was right - this wasn't anywhere near as good as movies like It, or even Get Out or Quiet Place. But it was very good, fun, and expect more as this genre continues to make big money with lower budget.

If you like a fun horror movie, you'll enjoy. If you hate horror movies, you'll probably hate this one too.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 10-27-2018 at 12:35 PM.