Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Self points the finger at Duke and UNC?

Self accuses Duke and UNC of paying players:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ruiting-works/

K and Roy beg to differ:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-pretty-clean/

It’s like that old saying: when the Kansas coach points one finger at others, he also has three fingers pointing back at Bill Self.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It’s like that old saying: when the Kansas coach points one finger at others, he also has three fingers pointing back at Bill Self.
    Well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by hsheffield View Post
    The article refers to Roy as “Smith” if I am reading it right.

Krzyzewski's comment come just days after fellow ACC foe and fellow Hall of Famer, Roy Williams, offered up a similar sentiment about the corruption in the sport.

"It's a massive thing that's still going on, and I'm just dumbfounded," Smith said on Tuesday. "I had somebody criticize me and say 'you shouldn't be dumbfounded.' Well, excuse me, I have my right to have my own feelings. That world that they're explaining out there I'm not familiar with. Period. In 30 years as a head coach I have never had anyone ask me for money. I have never asked any shoe company to recruit for me. I have never asked anyone other than the family what is most important to you.

"So that world, people act like it goes on all the time, it does not go on all the time. It is a world I'm not familiar with."
    Roy, you’re no Dean Smith.

It’s hard to know whether he is specifically referring to Duke and UNC, or just using them more generally as an example of top schools, to say that this happens everywhere. Regardless, I dont believe he has any actual proof that this happens at either Duke or UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It’s hard to know whether he is specifically referring to Duke and UNC, or just using them more generally as an example of top schools, to say that this happens everywhere. Regardless, I dont believe he has any actual proof that this happens at either Duke or UNC.
    yes, I agree. unfortunately, the Kyle Boone article implied Duke/UNC guilt even though he didn't come right out and say it.

Quote Originally Posted by hsheffield View Post
    yes, I agree. unfortunately, the Kyle Boone article implied Duke/UNC guilt even though he didn't come right out and say it.
    I don't mean to be thick, but what the heck do Self's actual words mean?

"In my mind, it's KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad," Gassnola replied. "That's what's right for Adidas basketball. And I know I'm right. The more you have lottery picks and you happy. That's how it should work in my mind."

"That's how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke," Self replied.

Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well.
    "That's how ur works. At UNC and Duke" Hunh???
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I don't mean to be thick, but what the heck do Self's actual words mean?

"That's how ur works. At UNC and Duke" Hunh???
    Whew, glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't get this. But then again, I'm VERY literal. I've thought about Self's words a lot and...it just doesn't make sense. For one thing, aren't BOTH UNC and Duke Nike schools? So how would Self know what goes on? Not that anything did go on but...still. The meaning of this quote certainly isn't obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Whew, glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't get this. But then again, I'm VERY literal. I've thought about Self's words a lot and...it just doesn't make sense. For one thing, aren't BOTH UNC and Duke Nike schools? So how would Self know what goes on? Not that anything did go on but...still. The meaning of this quote certainly isn't obvious to me.
    I'm assuming "ur" is supposed to be "it". The letters are right next to each other on the keyboard. The period was obviously inadvertent. I don't blame him for not proofreading. He's a busy man. He has bribes and baseless accusations to make.

It really makes me sick when people lump Duke with UNCheat. The Cheaters are the worst of the worse, cheating for decades and buying their way out of it. Duke runs a pretty clean program. Disgusting when people make that false equivalency. Same with Coach K and that Roy the Cheat.

First off, a text with Bill Self pointing the finger at Duke/UNC is a big development. All this dirty laundry that for years has gone largely unsaid in official settings is getting said.

We know that most top prospects wind up at schools who have the same sneaker contract as their AAU league and team. Duke/UNC/Kentucky get Nike kids, Kansas/Louisville get Adidas kids, etc. The kids and their families are actually allowed to accept support from the sneaker companies. I think we can be as close to assured as we can be that kids who have gone to Duke had people around them, either family or associates, who received money from Nike runners. It has to have happened. That doesn't mean that there was an explicit quid-pro-quo to accept Duke scholarships. I am guessing that, with all the great Nike schools, it is OK if they go to any Nike school.

What this trial is providing courtroom evidence of is people associated with sneaker companies are actively strategizing with college coaches to deliver players to their programs. Bill Self is doing it, he swears up and down that Duke and UNC do it to, and in that some conversation, his Adidas runner is saying it's also Kentucky. The implication is that there are kids who are told to go to Duke, are paid to do so, and that Duke coaches are involved in that process.

It's impossible for any of us to say that this isn't true with 100% certainty...we can't know for sure. I have always believed that the general public is so hungry to see Duke identified as part of such rule-breaking that the story would have come out by now. Illuminati conspiracy theorists would say that the NCAA/CBS/ESPN squash those stories because s squeaky clean Duke is the last hope to wash over the corruption in the sport.

Interesting times...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    First off, a text with Bill Self pointing the finger at Duke/UNC is a big development. All this dirty laundry that for years has gone largely unsaid in official settings is getting said.

We know that most top prospects wind up at schools who have the same sneaker contract as their AAU league and team. Duke/UNC/Kentucky get Nike kids, Kansas/Louisville get Adidas kids, etc. The kids and their families are actually allowed to accept support from the sneaker companies. I think we can be as close to assured as we can be that kids who have gone to Duke had people around them, either family or associates, who received money from Nike runners. It has to have happened. That doesn't mean that there was an explicit quid-pro-quo to accept Duke scholarships. I am guessing that, with all the great Nike schools, it is OK if they go to any Nike school.

What this trial is providing courtroom evidence of is people associated with sneaker companies are actively strategizing with college coaches to deliver players to their programs. Bill Self is doing it, he swears up and down that Duke and UNC do it to, and in that some conversation, his Adidas runner is saying it's also Kentucky. The implication is that there are kids who are told to go to Duke, are paid to do so, and that Duke coaches are involved in that process.

It's impossible for any of us to say that this isn't true with 100% certainty...we can't know for sure. I have always believed that the general public is so hungry to see Duke identified as part of such rule-breaking that the story would have come out by now. Illuminati conspiracy theorists would say that the NCAA/CBS/ESPN squash those stories because s squeaky clean Duke is the last hope to wash over the corruption in the sport.

Interesting times...
    Coach K struggled with his answer on this. We shall see what develops.

Interesting times...
    From this thread, all I saw was one tweet that seemed to be speculation. I hardly see him swearing up and down. Is there something else out there?

Interesting times...
    An accusation has been made so...Duke is guilty right?

#tonguefirmlyplantedincheek

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    An accusation has been made so...Duke is guilty right?

#tonguefirmlyplantedincheek
    Definitely not, and I am firmly in the camp that says if Duke were really dirty, it would be out there because that’s a heck of a story for any media outlet to break, but I think we need to be realistic about how big cillege hoops operates. I mean, K has a building named for him on the Nike campus. I am not saying that means Nike runners coordinated witn Duke staffers to funnel money to prospects to go to Duke, but I think it is equally ridiculous to think the shoe companies have no influence over who winds up on which team.

This trial doesn’t touch, as far as I know, the payola happening via agents and money managers, which many say is at a level beyond what happens with the sneaker companies.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    From this thread, all I saw was one tweet that seemed to be speculation. I hardly see him swearing up and down. Is there something else out there?
    Correct, I went a too far in my descriptive language. But, I do think it is noteworthy that Self implicated Duke and UNC. Of course, why a coach at his level is communicating via text about such sensitive issues is beyond me. There was a reason that Paulie in Goodfellas never talked on the phone. Maybe, knowing that he was doing something stupid, Self throws Duke and UNC into that text so that if this day ever came, the story would sprawl. Personally, I don't think he's that clever.

When Roy was at Kansas he said, " I don't give a sh*t about North Carolina." Now Cheater-in-Chief, he gives a sh*t about Kansas? One man's horsesh*t is another man's, well, horsesh*t. And everyone knows that Roys da man.
    Last edited by madscavenger; 10-16-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

I’m not alleging there is or is not this situation at Duke.

If it comes out that Duke and K have been cheating, that will be it for me for sport.

I’ll just slink back to Ymm, Beer and dream of something (anything) pure.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I’m not alleging there is or is not this situation at Duke.

If it comes out that Duke and K have been cheating, that will be it for me for sport.

I’ll just slink back to Ymm, Beer and dream of something (anything) pure.
    Hey, it's not *that* bad on that thread.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Coach K struggled with his answer on this. We shall see what develops.
    In what way did Coach K struggle with his answer? Don't see it.
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023