Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Generic 2018 NFL thread

I looked but I don't think we have one of these yet.

Anyway, I thought I would get it started with a ridiculous fact I saw last night. The Pats-Chiefs game was the 56th straight game Tom Brady was favored by the Vegas oddsmakers to win his football game. It bests a streak of 55 games in which Kurt Warner was favored from 1999-2003.

56 straight games as the favorite... that's insane. It should stretch to 57 this week as they go on the road to the surprisingly good Bears. Early line is NE by 2.5. It is possible the streak ends Dec 16th when the Pats go to the Steelers.

-Jason "I'm guessing this streak includes playoff games... which makes it even more insane" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

First Place

After yesterday's victory over the Panthers, the Redskins are in first place in the NFC East. I don't really have a point but with the Redskins results over the last 20 years, I just like to celebrate being in first place when it happens...even when it's only week 6. #HTTR

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    After yesterday's victory over the Panthers, the Redskins are in first place in the NFC East. I don't really have a point but with the Redskins results over the last 20 years, I just like to celebrate being in first place when it happens...even when it's only week 6. #HTTR
    :: picks feet up off of ground to make sure the icicles from Hell don't put holes in his shoes ::

You are in the NFC East, an absolute dumpster fire of a division (with Philly forgetting how to play football this season), that does not have a single team that is ranked in the top half of the league in scoring. No reason the 'Skins can't be the team to emerge from that chaos.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are in the NFC East, an absolute dumpster fire of a division (with Philly forgetting how to play football this season), that does not have a single team that is ranked in the top half of the league in scoring. No reason the 'Skins can't be the team to emerge from that chaos.
    Man, I wish I could disagree with you about the NFC East...but I can't. I'd still rather win a dumpster fire of a division than not make the playoffs.

Fun fact about the Chiefs-Patriots game: it was the first time an NFL game has ever had a score of 43-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Fun fact about the Chiefs-Patriots game: it was the first time an NFL game has ever had a score of 43-40.
    I had never heard of Scoragami until now. What a cool thing to track! Here is a website that is on the lookout of a unique NFL score. Lots of possibilities in numbers like 1 and 4 and 5... but after that, new final scores get hard to find.

The Packers have to cut Ty Montgomery after this, right? He broke explicit orders from the team and refused to take a touchback at the end of the Rams game, instead taking the ball out of the end zone and fumbling. Even if he did not fumble, his decision would have taken away the 2 minute warning, which would have been a valuable tool for Aaron Rogers as he tried to march the team for a game-winning FG.

-Jason "it is not like Montgomery is a major part of the Packers offense... he's useful, but a dude who just disobeys orders like this needs to go ($800k cap hit... who cares?)" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Packers have to cut Ty Montgomery after this, right? He broke explicit orders from the team and refused to take a touchback at the end of the Rams game, instead taking the ball out of the end zone and fumbling. Even if he did not fumble, his decision would have taken away the 2 minute warning, which would have been a valuable tool for Aaron Rogers as he tried to march the team for a game-winning FG.

-Jason "it is not like Montgomery is a major part of the Packers offense... he's useful, but a dude who just disobeys orders like this needs to go ($800k cap hit... who cares?)" Evans
    I was wrong, they did not have to cut him... they traded him instead. Just happened. He goes to the Ravens for a 2020 7th round draft pick. Not exactly a king's ransom for Ty.

There was no way they could keep him...Aaron Rodgers was never going to let him touch the ball again on offense. This was a surprisingly active mid-season trade period for the NFL. Golden Tate, Amari Cooper, Carlos Hyde, and a bunch of others getting moved around.

leveon.JPG

I don't think the photoshop skills are going to win any prizes, but the idea isn't bad at all...

Redskins...

Just came here to vent.

Last week the Redskins lost our LT Trent Williams for a month or more because he had to have surgery for a dislocated thumb. Yesterday both the LG and the RG were lost for the season (torn ACL, torn Pec). And just for good measure, WR Paul Richardson was lost for the year, and while I'm at it I can mention that Jamison Crowder has been hurt and hasn't played in weeks. We just went from being 5-2, first place in the NFC East with a solid team to being 5-3 with 3/5 of our offensive line out. Just like last year. So frustrating. We weren't going to win the Super Bowl or anything but I thought we had a good 10-6 and maybe a win in a playoff game in us. Now, it's looking like an 8-8 and missing the playoffs find of year :-(

In DBR vernacular: It's Over!

Meanwhile, the NFC South is looking like absolute Murderer's Row. 6-2 Panthers have won 3 straight and are still improving. They have so many weapons on offense no one knows who to cover. 4-4 Falcons started slow but have won 3 straight as well with the Browns and Cowboys up next on their slate. And the 7-1 Saints look like the best team in the NFC after taking the undefeated Rams apart.

Panthers have a brutal finish to the season with Saints, Falcons, and Saints again. Luckily 2 of the 3 are at home.
    Saints finish with Panthers, Steelers, and Panthers, and 2 of 3 at home as well. No picnic.
    Falcons have the easiest go with Cardinals, Panthers, and Bucs, although only one is at home.

And the Bucs are effectively done in this division.
    "There can BE only one."

Michael Irvin is leaking. Will someone please turn off the water

(cue in the video to the 1:30 mark)

In other news, the Cowboys are trash this season despite Irvin's nonstop screaming about how great they are.

Just came here to vent.

Last week the Redskins lost our LT Trent Williams for a month or more because he had to have surgery for a dislocated thumb. Yesterday both the LG and the RG were lost for the season (torn ACL, torn Pec). And just for good measure, WR Paul Richardson was lost for the year, and while I'm at it I can mention that Jamison Crowder has been hurt and hasn't played in weeks. We just went from being 5-2, first place in the NFC East with a solid team to being 5-3 with 3/5 of our offensive line out. Just like last year. So frustrating. We weren't going to win the Super Bowl or anything but I thought we had a good 10-6 and maybe a win in a playoff game in us. Now, it's looking like an 8-8 and missing the playoffs find of year :-(

I feel your pain. Acutely.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Semi-serious question: Would Nathan Peterman start at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Semi-serious question: Would Nathan Peterman start at Duke?
    No. I've never understood how guys like Peterman, Geno Smith, etc hang around and get chance after chance over guys like Thad or Renfree.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Just came here to vent.

It could be worse. For instance, I'm a Raider fan. It has been a TOUGH 34 years! The late 60's through the early 80's were a lot of fun though. Entire generations are unaware that the Raiders used to be a proud and winning organization. This season is particularly disturbing though. Just two years ago there was reason to think there was a young core to build around for playoff runs into the next decade. Then Gruden comes. Okay, we liked him before. No one saw this dismantling debacle coming. Thursday night was the most pathetic display of NFL football I have ever seen, and I have seen a bunch. I am long since too old to be emotionally attached to a professional sports team, but I feel bad for the season ticket holders. Not only are they leaving, they are embarrassing. Oakland should demand a refund. Vegas must be so excited. I have no confidence in their ability to make all those draft picks work. I have always laughed when hearing people say that a college team could ever beat a pro team, but I think Alabama actually could. They have more professional "caliber" players, and they are better coached.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    No. I've never understood how guys like Peterman, Geno Smith, etc hang around and get chance after chance over guys like Thad or Renfree.
    ...or Kaepernick.
    [/PPBshotsfired]

Just came here to vent.
    ... the Redskins … . just went from being 5-2, first place in the NFC East with a solid team to being 5-3 ... Now, it's looking like an 8-8 and missing the playoffs find of year :-(

8-8 could easily win the NFC East, by 2 games.