Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Duke SC in the Belk would probably equal a sell out...50,000 Gamecocks and 25,000 Duke fans - or something like that. We'll have to finish 8-4 to get there, and if we do, there will be a decent level of excitement.
    DJ returns home to Charlotte would be a nice story line as well.

I feel like Duke has more to offer a tier 1 bowl than Syr/BC/NCSU/Pitt/UVA -- a top-flight QB; the Duke brand; personable Cut dancing with stadium workers; a team that sings Christmas carols on the way to a bowl; BH and JGH tandem; a couple Mannings in the house; the Spurrier connection (if it's a bowl in SEC country or against an SEC team); our history of very entertaining bowl games and inspired performances ... of course I'm biased but -- other than Syr and Babers -- a bowl selecting the others (BC/NCSU/Pitt/UVa and corporate-speak Mendenhall) would be the bowl choosing a lesser experience for itself.

Shouldn't the title be updated from a watch to a warning? The vigil is over.

(Or Reilly's "Bowl Projection" also works -- not sure why we have two threads on the same topic but love that it probably pisses off the "basketball only" crowd).

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    That would help us.

I guess we want Duke to win out and these other teams to lose as many as possible:

Syr 8-2 (5-2) ... @ND ... @BC

BC 7-3 (4-2) ... @FSU ... Syr
    UVa 7-3 (4-2) ... @GT ... @VT
    Duke 7-3 (3-3) ... @Clemson ... WFU

NCSU 6-3 (3-3) ... @L'ville ... @UNC ... ECU

Pitt 6-4 (5-1) ... @WFU ... @Mia

So, root for
    ... ND over Syracuse
    ... FSU over BC
    ... GT over UVA
    ... VT over UVA
    ... L'ville over NCSU
    ... UNC over NCSU [ugh - but if it means Duke to Nashville against P5 rather than to Shreveport against non-P5, I'd hope for the State loss*]
    ... ECU over NCSU
    ... WFU over Pitt
    ... Mia over Pitt

* - Per the CFB rooting moral principle of double effect, this is OK (maybe). The principle of double effect in the moral tradition in CFB rooting teaches that one may perform a good CFB rooting action even if it is foreseen that a bad effect will arise only if four conditions are met: 1) The act itself must be good. 2) The only thing that one can intend is the good act, not the foreseen but unintended bad effect. 3) The good effect cannot arise from the bad effect; otherwise, one would do evil to achieve good. 4) The unintended but foreseen bad effect cannot be disproportionate to the good being performed. [#3 and #4 get a little shaky.]
    It certainly could happen given their history of nocturia as I've posted somewhere else but I'd never cheer for this scenario. Never.
    Last edited by devildeac; 11-12-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Duke SC in the Belk would probably equal a sell out...50,000 Gamecocks and 25,000 Duke fans - or something like that. We'll have to finish 8-4 to get there, and if we do, there will be a decent level of excitement.
    Maybe we could play them in Greenville, SC. You know, neutral court.

Yea, still too soon.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Shouldn't the title be updated from a watch to a warning? The vigil is over.

(Or Reilly's "Bowl Projection" also works -- not sure why we have two threads on the same topic but love that it probably pisses off the "basketball only" crowd).
    Yeah, I am going to close this thread, the "vigil" thread. No reason for it any more. Further discussion about Duke's bowl game should go here.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?