Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Where will Daniel Jones play next year?

According to this guy, the New York Giants.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...e-eli-manning/

Quote Originally Posted by WNC View Post

Yes that article is being circulated on another thread here at DBR...not sure which one. Anyway, I don't see it happening.

Jones graduates this year. He has been bothered by injuries the last two seasons.

If he has a reasonable expectation of going in the first couple of rounds, then he should go.

And I suspect he will and he will.

Top-tier programs face this all of the time. Duke hasn't had to face it because Duke hasn't produced NFL-level talent good enough to go pro after their redshirt junior year.

Jones and Joe Giles-Harris are good enough. Bad news in the short term but good news in the long term. If Duke is going to beat the big boys, they have to recruit with the big boys. Turning prospects into NFL players helps. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jones graduates this year. He has been bothered by injuries the last two seasons.

If he has a reasonable expectation of going in the first couple of rounds, then he should go.

Top-tier programs face this all of the time. Duke hasn't had to face it because Duke hasn't produced NFL-level talent good enough to go pro after their redshirt junior year.

Jones and Joe Giles-Harris are good enough. Bad news in the short term but good news in the long term. If Duke is going to beat the big boys, they have to recruit with the big boys. Turning prospects into NFL players helps. A lot.
    I’m on board with all of this, but can we hope he lands somewhere better than Jersey A or Jersey B?

Barring a yoooge uptick in his game, I will come down and wax your car for you if he goes in the "first couple" of rounds next year. I'm optimistic about him, but not THAT optimistic.
    (how large is your car?)

Quote Originally Posted by WNC View Post

CBS Sports writer Chris Trapasso seems to referring to this blurb from PFF, "which covers the NFL Draft all year round," although I would expect CBS Sports to have a ton of access to scouts and execs from NFL teams.

QB Daniel Jones, Duke

Coming into the season, Jones was already getting a look from NFL scouts due to his 6-foot-5, 220-pound frame and NFL tools, however, with a 65.7 grade in 2016 and a 61.8 grade last season, there was plenty of work to be done before he looked like a proper NFL prospect. We’re only 83 dropbacks into Jones’ season, but it’s been night and day compared to the first two years of his career as he’s graded at 92.0, good for fourth among draft-eligible signal-callers. Jones has been outstanding throwing the ball down the field, ranking second in adjusted completion percentage on 20-plus yard throws at 72.7% as he’s completed 6-of-11 attempts with two of his five incompletions being dropped. Jones has gone from ‘toolsy’ projection to intriguing prospect, though there’s still plenty of work to be done from a week-to-week consistency standpoint.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Doesn't Daniel have one more year of eligibility left after this year?

I know he was a redshirt, and will probably be graduating, but is it a forgone conclusion he won't come back for another year?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Doesn't Daniel have one more year of eligibility left after this year?

I know he was a redshirt, and will probably be graduating, but is it a forgone conclusion he won't come back for another year?
    Yes, DJ has another year of eligibility so it is not a forgone conclusion. However, speculation is he will opt for the NFL Draft at the end of the season.

The same speculation applies to LB Joe Giles-Harris.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yes, DJ has another year of eligibility so it is not a forgone conclusion. However, speculation is he will opt for the NFL Draft at the end of the season.

The same speculation applies to LB Joe Giles-Harris.
    I'm sure this is great for the program and recruiting...but as a fan, this sux.

I enjoy Duke Football more now than I enjoy Duke Basketball. So, I'd like to see a continuing upward trend in our results on the field.

My impression is the team is relatively young this year, but losing Giles-Harris, Humphreys, and Jones will sting next year.

Having said that, if the season continues in a positive fashion where Daniel and Joe perform at an NFL level, my hat's off to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    I'm sure this is great for the program and recruiting...but as a fan, this sux.

I enjoy Duke Football more now than I enjoy Duke Basketball. So, I'd like to see a continuing upward trend in our results on the field.

My impression is the team is relatively young this year, but losing Giles-Harris, Humphreys, and Jones will sting next year.

Having said that, if the season continues in a positive fashion where Daniel and Joe perform at an NFL level, my hat's off to them.
    I would say this:
    If Jones is a high draft pick - then that will mean that he and Duke both have a ton of success this year. If he is good but not awesome, then that means he'll be back at Duke next season. There's some silver lining in either scenario.

with 3 TDs vs 1 Int and 200+ yards passing, Jones certainly didn't hurt his chances of getting a look in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    with 3 TDs vs 1 Int and 200+ yards passing, Jones certainly didn't hurt his chances of getting a look in the NFL.
    don't be so sure. 200+ is not even a milestone anymore, hasn't been in 30 years. There will be 75 QBs today with more passing yards.

Folks, I'm sorry if I'm bringing people down but NFL scouts seem to like Daniel Jones and there's a very strong chance he will not return for the 2019 season.

Folks, I'm sorry if I'm bringing people down but NFL scouts seem to like Daniel Jones and there's a very strong chance he will not return for the 2019 season.
    You're reporting the facts. I for one desire for you to keep them coming.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    You're reporting the facts. I for one desire for you to keep them coming.
    I agree with Bob! Good stuff always from you and Steve Wiseman.

Sure wish we’d get our power back on. This third world crap is for the birds. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I agree with Bob! Good stuff always from you and Steve Wiseman.

Sure wish we’d get our power back on. This third world crap is for the birds. LGD GTHc!
    I actually got power back on much faster than this in Nicaragua. We finally got our power back today. A colleague physician was told to expect hers back Tuesday. Michael damage much worse than expected in NC

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I would say this:
    If Jones is a high draft pick - then that will mean that he and Duke both have a ton of success this year. If he is good but not awesome, then that means he'll be back at Duke next season. There's some silver lining in either scenario.
    Josh Allen played for an FCS team that won like 5 games and went in the top ten. The NFL has prototypes. Jones fits that. He doesn't even have to be that good to get drafted. I expect him to be gone. He's been really good for us this year. His numbers would be astounding if his receivers could occasionally make a tough catch, or even a catch that hits them in the hands for 50 yards and a td...
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Josh Allen played for an FCS team that won like 5 games and went in the top ten. The NFL has prototypes. Jones fits that. He doesn't even have to be that good to get drafted. I expect him to be gone. He's been really good for us this year. His numbers would be astounding if his receivers could occasionally make a tough catch, or even a catch that hits them in the hands for 50 yards and a td...
    Wyoming wasn't very good last year but they do play in the Mountain West in FBS.

I agree with you and the others though that Jones, despite lacking the gaudy stats of some spread QBs, is definitely on the NFL radar. I will also defer to Jim Sumner and Steve Wiseman who know far more about college football than I do.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

6'5" is a plus as a pro QB. Not that many of them around that are also pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I actually got power back on much faster than this in Nicaragua. We finally got our power back today. A colleague physician was told to expect hers back Tuesday. Michael damage much worse than expected in NC
    Well I dealt with the Nicaraguan power grid for two years as the owner of a hotel on the Pacific Ocean...

As for Michael: well see if anyone can top this:
    Florence damaged our home and our business in Beaufort pretty badly...lot of damages and loss falling through the gaps in insurance.
    Michael slammed a 150 foot Sycamore tree onto our house in Raleigh, one that was just about to go up for sale after a 16 months 225K renovation...15-20K in damage if I had to guess, including the removal of this massive tree.

So I managed to get hit by both fall storms...and this is the really bad part: In coastal areas like Beaufort, you have to have three insurances...regular, wind and flood...so we have six deductibles to absorb with Florence, and a large deductible on our renovation project house in Raleigh. So absorbing 7 deductibles simultaneously...lowest is a thousand, two of them are over 2000. You don't think about seven deductibles at one time when you buy this stuff.

Now, back to football