Good Reason to $ to "The Athletic" - CUT

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Making one an "athletic supporter"

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Good Reason to $ to "The Athletic" - CUT
    Do they have a free trial? For one article (even if it's great), I would go the free trial, then cancel, route.

Can't speak for everyone, but my experience with great sports content/analysis online is that there's way more of it freely available (often in podcast form) than I have time to consume. So, I can't really justify paying for The Athletic myself. If I had additional time, I would just consume more of the freely available stuff, no?

The one exception I would make is if The Athletic builds out a great high school basketball recruiting section under Andrew Slater, which is possible in time. Under that scenario, they would be offering something unique that's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Do they have a free trial? For one article (even if it's great), I would go the free trial, then cancel, route.

Can't speak for everyone, but my experience with great sports content/analysis online is that there's way more of it freely available (often in podcast form) than I have time to consume. So, I can't really justify paying for The Athletic myself. If I had additional time, I would just consume more of the freely available stuff, no?

The one exception I would make is if The Athletic builds out a great high school basketball recruiting section under Andrew Slater, which is possible in time. Under that scenario, they would be offering something unique that's worth it.
    I am one of those guys trying to do my part to prop up quality journalism in an industry under siege. It's not too expensive, and I have liked it so far. Do I read it enough to get my $ worth...maybe not.

But it is a really good profile of Cut.

They do and I am on it right now. I signed up when someone linked a story about Jah.

I like it but doubt I will get beyond the week without canceling.

The Athletic often runs promo deals so you can get a year-long subscription for $30-40. I did that last year and liked it enough to stick around at the full-price of $60.

The profile on Cut is fantastic.

A lot of it depends on your sports market(s) of choice. The Athletic has great national coverage, but it doesn't really cover every market and team yet. I subscribed once they entered the Buffalo market (there was a discount code so it was like $40 for the year). The Sabres and Bills coverage has been really, really good. They also have Braves and Panthers coverage that I enjoy. The Duke coverage has been sparse, though. Hopefully that changes.

Even at the full subscription price of $60/year, I would be more than pleased with the coverage.