• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Wow...Happy Death Day got a sequel. I think I need to lower my expectations of the movie industry.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Did your screening include a pre-movie segment of the three producers(?) supposedly video chatting with the audience, explaining how the movie is their take on their struggles with the internet and technology.
    It did. I thought it was...strange.

Also had a small snippet from the director before Widows. It wasn't nearly as long or annoying, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Wow...Happy Death Day got a sequel. I think I need to lower my expectations of the movie industry.
    The math here is not hard to figure out.
    Budget $4.8 million
    Box office $122.6 million

-Jason "the film made boatloads of money...BOAT LOADS... of course they made a sequel" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "the film made boatloads of money...BOAT LOADS... of course they made a sequel" Evans
    I keep forgetting that people also made BOAT LOADS off pet rocks. I need to lower my expectations of humanity.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Into the Spider-Verse currently has 59 fresh reviews to zero rotten ones.
    Perhaps my favorite is the first.
    The greatest triumph and biggest surprise of the film is that it is an LSD freak-out on par with 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spi...e_spider_verse
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

It is a ton of fun with lots of humor but also a lot of humanity. And it is also sometimes reminiscent of a LSD trip. The finale especially is full of weird but is very satisfying.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

$6.8 mil in its 4th weekend to bring it to $145 mil total. Fantastic Beasts 2 isn't even going to make $175 mil, I think. Wow... what a massive disappointment. This is a Solo level kind of under-performance.

Here are the current "Standings":

1. The Grinch - $223.4 mil (made $15.1 mil this weekend, will easily pass $250 mil in total boxoffice)
    2. Bohemian Rhap - $173.5 mil (made $6 mil this weekend, has an outside shot at $200 mil total if it gets some award nomination help)
    3. Fantastic Leasts - $145.2 mil (made $6.8 mil this weekend)
    4. Ralph Internet - $140.8 mil (made $16.1 mil this weekend, seems very likely to top $200 mil in total boxoffice)
    5. Creed II - $96.4 mil (made $10.3 mil this weekend, has no real shot in our contest)

It is a ton of fun with lots of humor but also a lot of humanity. And it is also sometimes reminiscent of a LSD trip. The finale especially is full of weird but is very satisfying.
    83-1

Someone just had to be that guy...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    83-1

Someone just had to be that guy...
    Noticed that last night, and I was sure it would be someone like Armond White, who basically made a living giving great movies lousy reviews. (So much so that RT wound up booting him.) But, surprisingly, it was Roger Moore, one of their "top" critics. He thumbed it down because he didn't like the animation, which was the highlight of several other reviews.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Noticed that last night, and I was sure it would be someone like Armond White, who basically made a living giving great movies lousy reviews. (So much so that RT wound up booting him.) But, surprisingly, it was Roger Moore, one of their "top" critics. He thumbed it down because he didn't like the animation, which was the highlight of several other reviews.
    Roger Moore was the worst of the Bonds, so he does have that going for him...

Look, it won't be a player in our contest and I know the movie is supposedly 95% the same as the one that hit theaters over the summer, but the trailers for Once Upon A Deadpool are just so much fun!!

-Jason "Criminal record says I broke in twice, I must of done it half a dozen times" Evans

Look, it won't be a player in our contest and I know the movie is supposedly 95% the same as the one that hit theaters over the summer, but the trailers for Once Upon A Deadpool are just so much fun!!

-Jason "Criminal record says I broke in twice, I must of done it half a dozen times" Evans
    I like the Fred Savage cameo. Probably not enough to get me to the theater, but nice.

It won't be a player in the contest (I don't think), but Bumblebee is currently killing it on the 'mater meter. Whoda'thunk?
    That is going to be an interesting week for the contest, with magical Mary and Wetguy also being released. (Aquaman is also in the positive side for reviews, but not like the 96% Bumblebee currently has.)
    PS...looking forward to the Welcome to Marwen reviews, it looks really interesting.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bumblebee

It won't be a player in the contest (I don't think), but Bumblebee is currently killing it on the 'mater meter. Whoda'thunk?
    That is going to be an interesting week for the contest, with magical Mary and Wetguy also being released. (Aquaman is also in the positive side for reviews, but not like the 96% Bumblebee currently has.)
    PS...looking forward to the Welcome to Marwen reviews, it looks really interesting.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bumblebee
    For reference, the last 3 Transformers movies:

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - 35%
    Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) - 18%
    Transformers: The Last Knight (2017) - 15%

So it would appear that this movie is different in some important way from Michael Bay's stuff.

Looks like Moore is no longer appearing as a top critic for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    Looks like Moore is no longer appearing as a top critic for the movie.
    He lost his license to kill good movies, huh?

Spiderverse Review

If you've got 10 minutes check out my latest podcast where we talk about Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse (with bonus content where we wonder why Disney pulled Lord and Miller off Solo: A Star Wars Story).

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...out-the-movies

If you've got 10 minutes
    I think most of the podcasts have run 15+ minutes.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! So RT at some point let Armond "I hate your awesome movie" White back as a reviewer, and guess who shows up as one of the 6 that give it a lousy critique? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

"The temerity of retelling a Spider-Man tale by pandering to the nonwhite demographic (and those who flatter themselves for condescending to it) reveals how brazen the media have become."

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spi...s/?sort=rotten

If you would like another good laugh, take a look at White's further hatred of good cinema with his constant string of rotten reviews for great movies here. It is truly impressive. I don't understand why they let him back on their site.

Saw Spiderverse last night with my 9 year old and we both loved it. It felt so fresh and original in every respect. The animation was incredible, the music was awesome and the story was great. I loved the way it made you think of an actual comic book but just transferred to the big screen. Text bubbles and "BANG" or "BOOM" graphics during fight scenes were a great homage to the comic books.

It was funny as well in places, serious in places and it had heart which I think is missing in a lot of the big budget super hero films.

Don't miss this just because it's animated and you think it's a kiddie movie because it's not and you will be missing out.