• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Saw Ralph Wrecks the Internet last night.

Wow! Was it awful! Even Wonder Woman couldn't save it.

The scene with Vanellope and the Disney Princesses was sensational. Truly inspired. The rest was dreck, except for the Stan Lee cameo.

Even though I voted for it, I urge you to save your money if you are thinking of going.
    It got an A- Cinemascore, which is fairly good... but it is just 69% on Flixter's audience score, which would seem to indicate there are some folks who, like you, found it disappointing.

In terms of our contest, it made $85 mil over the extended Thanksgiving weekend and would seem to pretty much be to a lock to make our top 5. It is likely to end up making well over $225 mil.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Saw Ralph Wrecks the Internet last night.

Wow! Was it awful! Even Wonder Woman couldn't save it.

The scene with Vanellope and the Disney Princesses was sensational. Truly inspired. The rest was dreck, except for the Stan Lee cameo.

Even though I voted for it, I urge you to save your money if you are thinking of going.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It got an A- Cinemascore, which is fairly good... but it is just 69% on Flixter's audience score, which would seem to indicate there are some folks who, like you, found it disappointing.

In terms of our contest, it made $85 mil over the extended Thanksgiving weekend and would seem to pretty much be to a lock to make our top 5. It is likely to end up making well over $225 mil.
    We loved it. Very clever script, brilliant and pithy cross-pollination of characters, and very visually appealing. The Vanellope/Shank car chase is fantastic.

Although it's not in the contest, Venom just passed $800 million worldwide, entered the all-time top 75 movies and has passed Wonder Woman.

Well, I did not see this coming...

Early reaction to Aquaman is... wait for it... really good!! I fully expected another DC disaster, but everyone is saying the film is fun with great action sequences and a solid story. Read more here.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Although it's not in the contest, Venom just passed $800 million worldwide, entered the all-time top 75 movies and has passed Wonder Woman.
    An outsized 75% of the gross comes from non-US moviegoers. Sorta like Transformers, the international audience seems to love nonsense CGI.

An outsized 75% of the gross comes from non-US moviegoers. Sorta like Transformers, the international audience seems to love nonsense CGI.
    This is a list of the "most international" films among the 100 biggest worldwide boxoffice hits. As you can see, "nonsense CGI" (and Harry Potter films) are big hits overseas.

So from that list it appears that Avatar is the grossest film internationally.

Looks like Robin Hood ($14 mil FIVE day holiday opening weekend) and Nutcracker ($20 mil opening) won't be field entries to "crack" the top 5:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartanntp

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Looks like Robin Hood ($14 mil FIVE day holiday opening weekend) and Nutcracker ($20 mil opening) won't be field entries to "crack" the top 5:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartanntp
    I wanna know who thought another Robin Hood movie was a good idea. Isn't like at least 27 in the last 10 years? If they want to make one, make it current. Robin Hood in today's time. That could be a decent movie.

PS... ©
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If they want to make one, make it current. Robin Hood in today's time. That could be a decent movie.
    They tried that in a TV movie back in the mid-90s with Joshua Jackson (Dawson's Creek, Fringe) and Sarah Chalke (Scrubs). I've never seen it, but it was not successful.

Lana and Lilly Wachowski (formerly the Wachowski brothers) said back in 2010 they had written and were planning to direct a modern version of Robin Hood that would be called Hood. They were supposedly talking to Will Smith about playing a leading role in the film, but it never got made. Lilly is supposedly done with writing and directing at this point and Lana is really only working on Sense8 for Netflix. After Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, and Jupiter Ascending, I'm not sure the Wachowskis have much cache in Hollywood any more.

Ahem...
    ...Joshua Jackson (Dawson's Creek, Fringe, The Mighty Freakin' Ducks) and Sarah Chalke (Scrubs). I've never seen it, but it was not successful...
    Charlie Conway FTW.

They tried that in a TV movie back in the mid-90s with Joshua Jackson (Dawson's Creek, Fringe) and Sarah Chalke (Scrubs). I've never seen it, but it was not successful.
    SHUT YOUR MOUTH! Any movie with Joshua and Sarah in it is be default all kinds of awesome...not to mention it was nominated for real awards!

"Robin of Locksley was nominated for two awards. One Directors Guild of America Award for "Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Children's Programs" and one Leo Awards for "Best Overall Sound - Feature Film" for William Butler"

Spider-Man is currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes (with 33 reviews).

Lego Movie 2 drops a trailer. I think everyone who voted against this film may have made a real mistake.
    Shouldn't the proper phrase be failed to vote for? From a statistical view.

And have all 38 who voted for FB2 been declared losers yet? From a 5 for 5 perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    And have all 38 who voted for FB2 been declared losers yet? From a 5 for 5 perspective?
    It may be a tad premature for that... but it certainly does not look good. I'll say this, there is a better chance FB2 ends up 8th or worse than there is that it makes the top 5. I'd give it maybe a 5 or 10% chance of being in the top 5 at this point. Frankly, it appears Bohemian Rhapsody will pull in more boxoffice bucks than Beasts at this point (and thank goodness for that as FB2 is just a bad movie and the filmmakers deserve no money from making it).

Beasts is toast. One of the big theaters here in Boston is completely abandoning it starting Friday...only on 6 times on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. More screens to the new horror moving (Haunting of someone named something) than FB2. Those of us who picked it are toast. And if Aquaman does well, then pretty much all of us are out (because The Grinch is finishing in the Top 5, pretty much for certain. So is Ralph).

By the way...took my son to see Creed on Tuesday night. ZZZZZZZZZZ. The pacing was beyond slow. And none of it was compelling to me. They could have made it much better. The problem is that every Rocky movie has covered pretty much every "boxing angle." Rocky I was the underdog story. Rocky II was about having the support of people who love you to keep you going. Rocky III was about facing your fears and facing defeat (which is what Creed II was really about). Rocky IV was about individual effort trumping manufactured physicality, and that Rocky>>>Russia. Rocky V was about doing a movie just to make money based on the lure of the franchise.

Bottom line...there's no Creed story line that hasn't already been done (and done better) by Rocky.

Oh, and whoever wrote it is 100% correct - a modern day Robin Hood would be outstanding. How has this not been done??

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Oh, and whoever wrote it is 100% correct - a modern day Robin Hood would be outstanding. How has this not been done??
    Robin and his crew could rob banks that are making shady loans and then foreclosing to seize the property or something like that. Yeah, this needs to happen.

-Jason "also, this may be the year that going 3 for 5 makes you a winner... the buzz on Spiderverse is really strong" Evans-

FB2 is in real trouble.

It made $11.2 mil in weekend #3 and now stands at $134 mil in total gross. I don't think it will even catch Bohemian Rhapsody at this point ($164 mil after 5 weeks, made almost $8 mil this past weekend). I suspect Fantastic Beasts 2 will finish no better than 8th in our final numbers. A wretched performance for the film that was the most popular pick in our poll.

Meanwhile, Ralph Wrecks the Internet was again the #1 film at the boxoffice, pulling in almost $26 mil this weekend for a 2 week total of $119 million. The Grinch came in second this weekend with almost $17 mil in ticket sales. It has now passed the $200 mil mark in boxoffice and is an absolute lock to be in our top 5 (unless you think there are 5 other films that are going to make north of $250 mil... which there aren't).

-Jason "Mary Poppins Returns is getting great early reviews... looks like this is the winter where the kids movies came to dominate the competition" Evans

FB2 is strange to me. I thought it was shot really well and looked wonderful. Some problems with the story and one of the plot lines, but it's not a bad movie. Better than the first.

Ralph II...woof. That was not the easiest movie to get through. Needed to be at least 25 minutes shorter.

Creed II was mostly meh. The Drago family story line did nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    … Ralph II...woof. That was not the easiest movie to get through. Needed to be at least 25 minutes shorter.

Did your screening include a pre-movie segment of the three producers(?) supposedly video chatting with the audience, explaining how the movie is their take on their struggles with the internet and technology.

I found it tedious and a complete waste of time. Started me in a bad mood before the movie even began. Why on earth would they insert themselves into the movie experience? Egomania run wild, who cares what they think or do? Save it for the promotional interviews, which wouldn't get many hits if posted on YouTube. Ironic that it shows how oblivious they are regarding a central tenet of the movie - popularity is fueled by feedback. Don't think ANYONE "liked" their segment. And yet we are forced to watch it?

And stay off my cyberlawn!