• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I went kids all day on this poll. Hated leaving out Rhapsody, but hey, it's the holidays, and kids want magic and queens, not Queen.

The Grinch. Really? We don't need another one. But, it's gonna make galoodles.
    Fantastic Beasts. I have this pegged as the #1 or 2 movie of the season.
    Ralph Breaks the Internet. And busts into our top 5.
    Mary Poppins Returns. I have no interest, but don't bet against a character and company that has been around since forever.
    Lego Movie 2. No reason needed...it's gonna make $.

Thanks, kids, for making our top 5 all about magic, animation, and laughter.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I went kids all day on this poll. Hated leaving out Rhapsody, but hey, it's the holidays, and kids want magic and queens, not Queen.

Mary Poppins Returns. I have no interest, but don't bet against a character and company that has been around since forever.

I have not voted yet, but if I had to cast my ballot right now, we would have 4 of our 5 picks the same.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I got 4/5 of these, but replacing Mary Poppins with Aquaman. Aquaman looks awful to me, but without a Star Wars or MCU movie to compete against, I think it does enough to make Top 5.

The board is sleeping on the Grinch. Most of you guys are gonna be eliminated before December even starts, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    The board is sleeping on the Grinch. Most of you guys are gonna be eliminated before December even starts, I think.
    There are movies I won't select because I hates them. This is one of them. If it costs me, it costs me and you can get the heck off my lawn!

Shhhhh... don't tell everyone.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I got 4/5 of these, but replacing Mary Poppins with Aquaman. Aquaman looks awful to me, but without a Star Wars or MCU movie to compete against, I think it does enough to make Top 5.

Same thinking as me and we have the same 5. When I did this a couple days ago, I REALLY didn’t want to include aquaman but I used my head and went with it. The Grinch looks great and I’ve never even seen a commercial for Poppins so I left that one out. I really worry that the Queen movie will sneak into the top 5. Rami Malek looks like he will be FANTASTIC.

The autumnal mead

At the risk of being sent to the stocks, what happened to Wildlife?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Holmes and Watson (Dec 21)

Just saw the trailer for this. Two questions:

(1) Who on God's green earth thought this was a good idea?

(2) Who knew Ralph Fiennes was so hard up for cash?

"I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    At the risk of being sent to the stocks, what happened to Wildlife?
    It only opened in 4 theaters, all in New York, I believe. While it will probably expand across the country, it will only show up in a limited number of art house theaters in big cities. I doubt it makes more than maybe $3 mil at the boxoffice. It is being distributed by IFC films who have only had 3 films in their history that made more than $9 million: My Big Fat Greek Wedding ($241 mil), Boyhood ($25 mil), and Y Tu Mama Tambien ($13 mil). The vast. vast majority of IFC releases make less than $4 million in total boxoffice.

November 2 - Tara Cinema

Morgenstern of the WSJ and both the NYTimes' and LATimes' reviewers gave it glowing reviews last week, which is why I ask. Well, not the only reason - my daughter is with IFC. Her brief comments:

"The movie itself is lovely, and I think you would enjoy once it makes it way to Atlanta (November 2 - Tara Cinema). It's a somewhat familiar premise - cracks begin to show in the facade of a seemingly perfect mid-century family unit, domestic tensions lie at the heart of the American Dream - but the script is refreshingly nuanced and compassionate. Costume and art direction beautiful as well.

The main reason to see it though is Carey Mulligan. I can't say enough about how wonderful she is in the movie - just a total bolt from the blue in a film that is otherwise pretty understated and controlled."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

I will probably kick myself for not going with wetguy, but it looks so bad. And he swims in loose jeans! Hell, when I did lifeguard training, they made us swim and tread water in those since they knew it was near impossible.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well I'm glad I avoided Bohemian Rhapsody.
    An object example of how a film can be entertaining and even exhilarating without being particularly good, Bohemian Rhapsody has the driving energy of a stadium anthem and the fizzy meaninglessness of a bubblegum pop song.
    And that's a "Fresh" review on RT, where it currently sits at 56%. What a bummer, I was excited about it.

anyone else find that list to be horrific?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    anyone else find that list to be horrific?
    As in you won't be going to a theater all winter? Yes...

I know the Jim Carrey movie did well way back when but for some reason the memory of Mike Myers' Cat in the Hat pops into my head when I think of the Grinch and I just can't vote for it.

Mary Poppins: I'm curious to see what happens here. The allure is completely lost on me and I didn't vote for it but Disney's been hot lately. I wouldn't have thought the live action Beauty and the Beast would have done so well either.

My two least popular picks are Bumblebee, which I voted for because I'm tired of being befuddled by the success of awful Transformers movies and I figure I may as well get in on it; and Glass, because I am predicting a full-blown Shyamalanaissance®.

Well I'm glad I avoided Bohemian Rhapsody.

And that's a "Fresh" review on RT, where it currently sits at 56%. What a bummer, I was excited about it.
    Yeah, I saw a screening of it last night and I fall in line with much of the criticism of the film. It is enjoyable to watch, but the whole thing feels really sterilized and color by numbers. Everything is so convenient. For example, at one point Freddy and Roger Taylor are almost on the verge of a real fistfight in the studio with Brian May about to go at it with them too when John Deacon starts playing the first few notes of Another One Bites The Dust on his base. The other band members literally stop dead and forget their argument as they marvel at the magic of those few notes. Come on!

I commented to a critic friend after the film that it is deeply ironic that the real story of Queen felt a lot less genuine and honest than the fake story in A Star is Born.

Roger Taylor and Brian May were executive producers on this film. And they made damn sure they were going to tell a happy story! The movie ends with almost a shot-for-shot re-creation of the 20 minute Live Aid concert. The fact that the real thing gets watched on YouTube a million times a year is no reason not to watch it again, right?

-Jason "that said, I think this will be a film that audiences largely enjoy. I mean, we want syrupy, sweet, sanitized versions of the heroes, right?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ... and Glass, because I am predicting a full-blown Shyamalanaissance®.
    If I could figure out how to pronounce that word, I would totally spork you for it.

Ahhh, I'm gonna spork you anyway. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, I saw a screening of it last night and I fall in line with much of the criticism of the film. It is enjoyable to watch, but the whole thing feels really sterilized and color by numbers. Everything is so convenient. For example, at one point Freddy and Roger Taylor are almost on the verge of a real fistfight in the studio with Brian May about to go at it with them too when John Deacon starts playing the first few notes of Another One Bites The Dust on his base. The other band members literally stop dead and forget their argument as they marvel at the magic of those few notes. Come on!

I commented to a critic friend after the film that it is deeply ironic that the real story of Queen felt a lot less genuine and honest than the fake story in A Star is Born.

Roger Taylor and Brian May were executive producers on this film. And they made damn sure they were going to tell a happy story! The movie ends with almost a shot-for-shot re-creation of the 20 minute Live Aid concert. The fact that the real thing gets watched on YouTube a million times a year is no reason not to watch it again, right?

-Jason "that said, I think this will be a film that audiences largely enjoy. I mean, we want syrupy, sweet, sanitized versions of the heroes, right?" Evans
    What did you think of Malek's portrayal of Mercury? I've heard he is the bright spot of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    What did you think of Malek's portrayal of Mercury? I've heard he is the bright spot of the film.
    Yeah, he is really good. The prosthetic teeth are really distracting though. I don't think he's going to be in the best actor conversation though. They might try to put the film in the Musical category for the Golden Globes in an effort to get him a Globe nomination. He's got the body movement on stage down pat, that's for sure.

So, how do we feel about someone changing their vote prior to the poll closing? Would we allow that? The person could post new picks in the thread.