Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20 Best Cities to Live in the USA

Picked off of NBCNews.com, which publsihed results of USN&WR survey and study. Three from North Carolina -- four if you count both Raleigh and Durham. Comments?

20 Best U.S. Cities to Live In

1. Austin, Texas

2. Denver, Colorado

3. Colorado Springs, Colorado

4. Fayetteville, Arkansas

5. Des Moines, Iowa

6. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota

7. San Francisco, California

8. Portland, Oregon

9. Seattle, Washington

10. Raleigh & Durham, North Carolina

11. Huntsville, Alabama

12. Madison, Wisconsin

13. Grand Rapids, Michigan

14. San Jose, California

15. Nashville, Tennessee

16. Asheville, North Carolina

17. Boise, Idaho

18. Sarasota, Florida

19. Washington, D.C.

20. Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

1. Austin, Texas

2. Denver, Colorado

5. Des Moines, Iowa

A person making $50-100k per year sure would have a different life in Fayetteville and Des Moines than San Francisco.

Some of the list makes sense to me (e.g. the NC and CO items) and some of it doesn't. That could be a matter of taste, though. I'm not sure I could think of a worse U.S. city to live in than San Francisco, but its 900,000 population certainly indicates that others disagree.

I agree on the San Francisco. I mean, with the previous poster. No way I can live there. That being said, I am not a fan of any large city..

There are some really good "beer cities" on that list, especially #13 and #16, both of which claim to be Beer City, USA.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Some of the list makes sense to me (e.g. the NC and CO items) and some of it doesn't. That could be a matter of taste, though. I'm not sure I could think of a worse U.S. city to live in than San Francisco, but its 900,000 population certainly indicates that others disagree.
    San Jose?

Said with a wink and a sly smile there are some places I am very happy not to see on this list. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    San Jose?
    I work in San Jose and live nearby. There are a lot of positives to the whole SF bay area, but there are big negatives as well.
    It's an extreme case of YMMV.

Generally speaking, you have a lot of the positives of big cities in terms of entertainment, economic opportunity, etc.

Depending on your personal situation, traffic/congestion of a big city can be painful or almost non-existent.
    My personal case the last 18 months is that 95% of my days I don't have to suffer from big city woes.
    That was not the case the 8 years before that.

The weather and outdoor access is a big plus.
    The cost of living due to the demand of people wanting to live here and the prevailing political winds is painful.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    San Jose?
    I actually lived in San Jose (well, actually Fremont, but I worked in San Jose) for a brief time and despite the absurd rent that I paid I loved it. That said, I loved it with the knowledge that I would only be living there temporarily - I wouldn't want to be there long term. I categorize the San Jose area differently than San Francisco. It shares some of the positives and some of the negatives of San Francisco, but IMO the net is much better in the South Bay area. The thing about the whole area is that there are very large positives and very large negatives, which means if your taste favors weighing a certain positive or negative, it can wildly swing your overall assessment.

Edit: Just read BigWayne's post and I agree completely.
    Last edited by BLPOG; 04-09-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Picked off of NBCNews.com, which publsihed results of USN&WR survey and study. Three from North Carolina -- four if you count both Raleigh and Durham. Comments?

1. Austin, Texas

2. Denver, Colorado

5. Des Moines, Iowa

8. Portland, Oregon

9. Seattle, Washington

10. Raleigh & Durham, North Carolina

11. Huntsville, Alabama

12. Madison, Wisconsin

13. Grand Rapids, Michigan

14. San Jose, California

15. Nashville, Tennessee

16. Asheville, North Carolina

17. Boise, Idaho

18. Sarasota, Florida

19. Washington, D.C.

20. Charlotte, North Carolina

Usually lists like these have some sort of formula with inputs --- cost of living, education level, unemployment rate, breweries per capita, etc. What were the considerations for this list?

Yea, but, Raleigh is #3 here:

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-li...jsp?title=2019

And #2 here:

https://www.homes.com/blog/2019/02/2...iendly-cities/

But don't ask me what our %TO rating is or how we perform on %eFG.

I actually lived in San Jose (well, actually Fremont, but I worked in San Jose) for a brief time and despite the absurd rent that I paid I loved it. That said, I loved it with the knowledge that I would only be living there temporarily - I wouldn't want to be there long term. I categorize the San Jose area differently than San Francisco. It shares some of the positives and some of the negatives of San Francisco, but IMO the net is much better in the South Bay area. The thing about the whole area is that there are very large positives and very large negatives, which means if your taste favors weighing a certain positive or negative, it can wildly swing your overall assessment.

Everything north of Santa Barbara kind of blends together for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Usually lists like these have some sort of formula with inputs --- cost of living, education level, unemployment rate, breweries per capita, etc. What were the considerations for this list?
    However, if this was heavily weighted, we'd all be budwom's neighbors.

San Jose sounds nice but I don't know the way. Maybe I should ask Root Boy Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    San Jose sounds nice but I don't know the way. Maybe I should ask Root Boy Slim.
    The trick is to take the left turn at Albuquerque.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Five factors:
    Job market -- 20%
    Value index (housing) -- 25%
    Qual. of Life (health, educ, well-being survey, commute) -- 30%
    Desirability (survey) -- 15%
    Net migration -- 10%
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Eh, not a single city in the north east, despite the fact that so many Americans choose to live there? Feels like it might be a flawed formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Eh, not a single city in the north east, despite the fact that so many Americans choose to live there? Feels like it might be a flawed formula.
    Totally agree. Being that it is a Duke board we obviously have a natural bias towards places like the Triangle here. I live in NYC and it by nature does not score well on these types of rankings. I grew up in suburbia and have lived/worked in some of the slightly smaller cities on the list but I would personally be bored out of my mind in a number of the cities on this list.

Like most New Yorkers, I have a love/hate relationship with the city. I am far from wealthy and have to make a lot of compromises to live here, but for me it is worth it. In exchange for some of the inconveniences, I live within a short subway ride of world class museums, sports, theater, history, food and career opportunities. The energy of the city gives me energy. There is a diversity of backgrounds that is fascinating and can be found very few other places. I live in a residential neighborhood where it reminds me of walking around Duke my senior year - I am constantly bumping into friends and acquaintances (which I enjoy - many others despise this). New Yorkers love to complain (I am not a fan of our current mayor) but that is also partly because we have active minds and opinions and want the best for ourselves and the people around us.

To each his own...

I always get a good laugh when lists like this come out and San Diego isn't included (usually due to expensive housing). I wonder how many locals here would really be interested in moving to, say, Huntsville, Alabama. My guess: not many.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    I always get a good laugh when lists like this come out and San Diego isn't included (usually due to expensive housing). I wonder how many locals here would really be interested in moving to, say, Huntsville, Alabama. My guess: not many.
    San Diego is an absolutely fantastic place. I lived there for a while, have visited many times since and often ask myself why I didn't stay.
    Bob Green