• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    There are TWO films worse than After Earth? Two?? Really?

I mean, in the entire history of cinema; there CANNOT be two films worse than After Earth.
    Have you seen "The Happening"?!?!?! It is 18 different ways of awful. In fact, it is so bad, I almost enjoyed laughing at how ridiculous it was.

Here are the RT, Flixter, and IMDB ratings of the worst of the Shyamalan catalog... hard to say which is objectively worse.

After Earth - 11% RT :: 36% Flixter :: 4.8 IMDB
    The Happening - 18% RT :: 24% Flix :: 5.0 IMDB
    Lady in the Water - 25% RT :: 49% Flix :: 5.6 IMDB
    The Last Airbender - 5% RT :: 30% Flix :: 4.1 IMDB
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Have you seen "The Happening"?!?!?! It is 18 different ways of awful. In fact, it is so bad, I almost enjoyed laughing at how ridiculous it was.

Here are the RT, Flixter, and IMDB ratings of the worst of the Shyamalan catalog... hard to say which is objectively worse.

After Earth - 11% RT :: 36% Flixter :: 4.8 IMDB
    The Happening - 18% RT :: 24% Flix :: 5.0 IMDB
    Lady in the Water - 25% RT :: 49% Flix :: 5.6 IMDB
    The Last Airbender - 5% RT :: 30% Flix :: 4.1 IMDB
    I got laughed at for comparing The Happening to Bird Box.

I stand by my comparison.

Sixth Sense is clearly the film with the most general appeal and it is really wonderful. That said, I think Unbreakable is his most compelling and best script. Split is also pretty good, thanks to McAvoy's amazing acting performance. Someone else could have made that role into a real mess.

Signs and The Village are watchable and are decent semi-horror fun that each fall apart in a really, really big way in the final third.

The Lady in the Water, The Happening, The Last Airbender, and After Earth are pretty much unwatchable. They make no sense and feature scripts that contain multiple, "well that is just the stupidest thing ever!" moments.

I did not see The Visit, but a lot of folks say it was a pretty good horror kinda film.

Here is a chart I built a while back when I had high hopes that Glass would be good:

I'm either really lucky, or really good at avoiding bad movies. I've only seen the ones you mentioned were good/decent, and haven't seen any of the ones on your chart that are deemed unwatchable. I have an internal algorithm I use to determine if I watch a movie in theaters, wait for digital release, or file it in the, "I'd rather watch The Office reruns for the 30th time than watch this movie" category. It goes something like this....

1.) Check RT score first. Must be 70 or higher to consider watching in theater.
    2.) Check audience score for reference. Audience score and critic score can't be too far apart. Not sure what my logic is in that, just feels right. If a movie is really good, both scores should be decent.
    3.) Read at least 10-15 reviews, both good and bad, on RT.
    4.) Check metacritic score.

From here, make a decision as to whether or not the movie is worth watching at all. If I make the decision to watch it, I proceed to determine if it will be an in-theater experience.

5.) Check word of mouth from friends/family that have seen it.(it's kind of weird, but there are lots of people I know that will inadvertently turn me off from wanting to see a movie if they think it was "awesome". My kids fit into that category."
    6.) Finally, check DBR to see if JE has reviewed it and what others on the board think of it.

I gather all those inputs and come out with a Y/N decision on theater or home. If I decide to watch it in the theater, now comes the difficult part of deciding WHICH type of theater. Regular cinaplex, dine-in theater, IMAX, etc. You might think it doesn't matter, but it does. I saw A Quiet Place in a dine-in theater with dinner/drinks. Dead silent with nothing but clinking, and clanking of glasses, forks on plates, etc. for 2+ hours.

I actually thought Signs was really good, maybe I was too young and dumb to know it was a bad movie when I saw it, or maybe I was just in a good mood. I thought the village was great, but I realized after the fact, it was because I knew absolutely nothing about it. I didn't even know what i was watching at the time. I came home from work one evening and my now wife and sister were sitting on the couch and it had just started. It pulled me in and I thought it was really good. I could see how if you knew anything all about the plot, it would be really predictable.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I actually thought Signs was really good, maybe I was too young and dumb to know it was a bad movie when I saw it, or maybe I was just in a good mood.
    I thought Signs was good up until the lame Wicked Witch of the West ending.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I am curious. How many on the Board go to see movies in the theater on a regular basis? I, for one, have not been in a theater in several years and have no plans go.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Signs
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Signs
    Everywhere there’s Signs...

I prefer the Tesla cover to the original Five Man Electrical Band version.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I am curious. How many on the Board go to see movies in the theater on a regular basis? I, for one, have not been in a theater in several years and have no plans go.
    We go very infrequently. If and when we go, it's usually for a total big adventure popcorn flick.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    IMAX . I go for the IMAX experience you can’t get at home.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    IMAX . I go for the IMAX experience you can’t get at home.
    There's one IMAX screen in the northern Atlanta 'burbs that I will happily make a ~45-minute trip to see certain things, mostly visually stimulating cartoons and outer space things.
    As for regular theater attendance, pretty much everything I go to see is either a cartoon or one of the Fathom Events series of limited re-releases. In the past few years, I've seen Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Movie, Smokey and the Bandit, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, Jurassic Park, and a number of others that way.
    I will also see the occasional documentary if it's something I'm really into...the last one I saw in a theater was Free Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    There's one IMAX screen in the northern Atlanta 'burbs that I will happily make a ~45-minute trip to see certain things, mostly visually stimulating cartoons and outer space things.
    As for regular theater attendance, pretty much everything I go to see is either a cartoon or one of the Fathom Events series of limited re-releases. In the past few years, I've seen Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Movie, Smokey and the Bandit, Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, Jurassic Park, and a number of others that way.
    I will also see the occasional documentary if it's something I'm really into...the last one I saw in a theater was Free Solo.
    We also like the Fathom Events releases. I've seen a Grateful Dead show (was actually my first one, so was fun to take my gf to see it in the theater) and The Dark Crystal.

I'm an AMC A-List member and I typically see the 3 allotted movies per week they give. Especially around Thanksgiving/Christmas and in the Summer. That membership allows for second and third viewings of some movies that I didn't do before AMC started this last year.

Anyone seen Spiderverse? Excellent movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    I'm an AMC A-List member and I typically see the 3 allotted movies per week they give. Especially around Thanksgiving/Christmas and in the Summer. That membership allows for second and third viewings of some movies that I didn't do before AMC started this last year.
    Same. I saw 64 movies in theater last year. Would have been more, but I was out of the country for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Anyone seen Spiderverse? Excellent movie.
    Saw it yesterday. I'm not a big fan of marvel or animated movies, but I enjoyed it.

It reminded me of watching and 80's era Saturday morning cartoon, which is a good thing IMHO.

Current standings:

1. Aquasuck - $287.8 mil ($17.2mil more over the weekend, which included my two sons and led to them getting into a big fight as to whether the script or the direction sucked the most)
    2. The Grinch - $269.8 mil (has not reported weekend results yet, but likely to be less than $1 mil as this is about to hit the dollar theaters and then go to home video)
    3. Bohemian Rhapsody - $198.4mil ($3.2 mil more over the weekend as it got a nice Golden Globes bump. With just a $52 mil budget, there has to be a sequel to this moneymaker, right?)
    4. Ralph Breaks the Internet - $190.4 mil ($2.2 mil over the weekend... it might come up a tad short of $200 mil. Probably safe, but it is not impossible that this ends up as our #6 film)
    5. Mary Poppins Returns- $150.6mil ($7.2 mil over the weekend but I think it has no shot because I think Spiderverse is going to pass it)
    6. Spiderverse - $147.7 mil ($9 mil over the weekend, still showing great holding power, I think it passes Mary Poppins this coming weekend)

Nothing else released thus far has even a mild shot at being in our top 5.

-Jason "Glass coming this weekend... most folks are looking for about a $60 mil opening... but the reviews are bad (not Happening/Lady in the Water bad though)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I recorded a podcast only minutes after watching Glass... hope you enjoy it. I'll say this, considering I went in with a really, really, really low bar the film wasn't totally terrible.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...ht-about-glass

-Jason "let me know if you have any questions about the movie... no spoilers!" Evans

I recorded a podcast only minutes after watching Glass... hope you enjoy it. I'll say this, considering I went in with a really, really, really low bar the film wasn't totally terrible.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...ht-about-glass

-Jason "let me know if you have any questions about the movie... no spoilers!" Evans
    I'm not sure how many of you bothered to listen to the pod, it is 15 minutes so it should be relatively easy, but I just wanted ya'll to know that upon further reflection...

1) Glass in not wholly unsatisfying as a conclusion to the story. I actually kinda enjoyed it.
    2) That said, the more you think about what happens, the more ridiculous and unrealistic it all is.

-Jason "lower your expectations and turn off the analytical side of your brain and you won't hate it" Evans

Do yourself a favor after you see Glass and read @MattGoldberg's excellent explanation of the twisty ending and why it doesn't work: http://collider.com/glass-ending-explained/

I really liked Glass...until the endings. Article and your podcast are pretty on point.

Is Glass watchable

if you did not see or remember Split and Unbreakable?

Thanks