• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Lego Movie 2 comes out this weekend and here is my podcast review of it. The pod includes several clips from songs in the movie (the songs are amazing) and also some comments from my co-host's 8-year-old daughter about what she thought about the film, which may help you decide whether to see it with children. Spoiler alert, she reveals the movie ending which is the least surprising ending ever and really does not spoil anything at all.

Anyway, enjoy...

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...t-lego-movie-2

-Jason "and for those of you wondering, Josh and I still aren't really fighting very much... sigh... we just feel the same way about these films too much" Evans
    Just listened to your podcast and was happy to hear that the three of you liked the movie. I bought tickets for this weekend yesterday and will be taking the kids (roughly Addison's age). I'll wait for the movie to gain steam and stay for the credits. I'm used to that anyway, I used to watch movies at a venue that most people stayed for all of the credits.

Yup, in fact I think those estimates are kinda high. It just isn't tracking like a film that is going to break out. The trailers are not generating a lot of buzz. It will do better overseas, the manga is well-known in some Asian countries, but I think it is more likely to be in the $50-$60 mil range domestic and maybe $300 mil total worldwide boxoffice. It is going to lose a lot lot lot of money as it cost more than $150 mil to produce.

You could tell this one was in trouble when they moved the release date... twice. It was originally going to be a mid-summer June 2018 release, then it got moved to Christmas, then it got moved to February. May/June is where your big big moneymakers are positioned. Christmas is the next most desirable slot. February is sorta a wasteland, not as bad as September, but in the bottom third of all months in terms of boxoffice potential. Sure, there are exceptions (Black Panther last year, Lego and Dragon this year) but most of the rest of the stuff released in February are films that would be thrilled with a $50 mil boxoffice take.

-Jason "maybe Alita will surprise, but even a big big surprise (like three times what I expect it to earn) would put it well short of being a contender in our contest" Evans
    We aren't expecting Alita to do all that well either. As you point out, moving it twice and dropping it in February isn't a positive sign and it's not tracking well. I'm hoping that Lego does well as January was a little light and February has tough comps overall with Black Panther last year. I didn't think Dragon was going to be all that big but will probably take the kids to it as well.

Lego 2 is out with the 34 million opening. No way it gets to the 180 mil Spiderverse now sits at.

Industry insiders are saying Lego 2 is going to make about $22 mil this weekend, which will put it in the low $60 mil kind of area after 2 weekends.

Put another way, it has close to a 0% chance of making the $180 mil to be in our top 5 of Winter.

This means that the top two choices in our poll, the only two films that had more than 80% support from all of us (Lego 2 and FBeasts 2), both failed to get into the top 5. That's pretty amazing.

We need to wait to see how big the HTTYD3 opening will be, but I think the Top 5 are going to be: Aquasuck, Grinch, Bohemian, Ralph, and Spiderverse. Dayum... anyone get 4 out of those 5?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We need to wait to see how big the HTTYD3 opening will be, but I think the Top 5 are going to be: Aquasuck, Grinch, Bohemian, Ralph, and Spiderverse. Dayum... anyone get 4 out of those 5?
    Not that it will be (or won't be) in the top 5, but at least the HTTYD series is going out on a high note. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, perhaps the best of any movie in our poll.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Industry insiders are saying Lego 2 is going to make about $22 mil this weekend, which will put it in the low $60 mil kind of area after 2 weekends.

Put another way, it has close to a 0% chance of making the $180 mil to be in our top 5 of Winter.

This means that the top two choices in our poll, the only two films that had more than 80% support from all of us (Lego 2 and FBeasts 2), both failed to get into the top 5. That's pretty amazing.

I did, but the DBR software malfunctioned and recorded the wrong votes. I demand a recount!

There is a good chance I'll go 0-5!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I did, but the DBR software malfunctioned and recorded the wrong votes. I demand a recount!

You could be a spot-up shooter for NCSU .

(Which I hope many of them do this weekend and then return to being a mostly good MBB team .)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

No one responded to my question in a thread on the EK Board about what you do with a coach who bagels the conference schedule. I don't think the same fate should befall you, just a polite "Please don't do that again."

(Said the guy suddenly quite pleased with his 2 for 5 effort.)

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not that it will be (or won't be) in the top 5, but at least the HTTYD series is going out on a high note. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, perhaps the best of any movie in our poll.
    My kid (4 yo) absolutely loves the HTTYD movies. He’s very excited for the third. Glad to hear the reviews were good - I’ve thought the first two were really enjoyable. I don’t mind the kid watching them over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    No one responded to my question in a thread on the EK Board about what you do with a coach who bagels the conference schedule. I don't think the same fate should befall you, just a polite "Please don't do that again."

(Said the guy suddenly quite pleased with his 2 for 5 effort.)
    I am not professionally trained.

$55 million this weekend for HTTYD: The Hidden World

Is it over?

Is it over?
    It looks like Spider-Verse will probably hold on to #5 (currently at $188m but still creeping along...will probably finish in the $190m-$195m range, depending on when they decide to pull the plug). HTTYD is looking like it will finish in the $170m-$180m range, as it is tracking slightly behind HTTYD 2, which finished at $177m. Maybe we need to wait a little while to make it official, but I think Reddevil will be the winner, going 4-for-5.

If HTTYD holds up well enough to pass Spider-Verse, it looks like there would be a bunch people tied for the win, going 3-for-5.

Diablo has it summed up nicely. I am waiting to see if HTTYD can catch Spiderverse. It looks unlikely, but is not a sure thing so I need to wait a couple more weeks.

This has felt really long. I'm thinking maybe I will exclude the February movies next year (though next Feb includes the Birds of Prey/Harley Quinn movie as well as Kingsman 3).

-Jason "next winter will be Star Wars IX, Jumanji 2, and Frozen 2... so everyone gets to be at least 3-for-5" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I am not professionally trained.
    Neither was this guy...

Neither was this guy...
    That is who I was thinking of when I made the quote.

It's amazing how much chrisma that kid has, for having well...no charisma

That is who I was thinking of when I made the quote.

It's amazing how much chrisma that kid has, for having well...no charisma
    Lol, that's kinda what I figured it just took me a while to get there. So, the synapse still connect albeit much more slowly than in year's past it appears.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Diablo has it summed up nicely. I am waiting to see if HTTYD can catch Spiderverse. It looks unlikely, but is not a sure thing so I need to wait a couple more weeks.

This has felt really long. I'm thinking maybe I will exclude the February movies next year (though next Feb includes the Birds of Prey/Harley Quinn movie as well as Kingsman 3).

-Jason "next winter will be Star Wars IX, Jumanji 2, and Frozen 2... so everyone gets to be at least 3-for-5" Evans

So did How to Train Your Dragon catch Spiderverse?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    So did How to Train Your Dragon catch Spiderverse?
    No and it won't. I am shutting this sucker down. Here are the final totals:

1. Aquaman - $335.0 mil
    2. The Grinch - $270.6 mil
    3. Bohemian Rap - $216.1 mil
    4. Ralph Internet - $201.0 mil
    5. Spiderverse - $190.1 mil
      = = = = = = =
    6. Mary Pop Returns - $171.9 mil
    7. Fantastic Beasts 2 - $159.5 mil
    8. HTTYD 3 - $156.4 mil

-Jason "congrats to Reddevil! Sporks for your impressive 4-for-5 performance" Evans

Impressive performamce particularly given how dismal the top 2 vote getters, FB2 and LM2, performed.