• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, how do we feel about someone changing their vote prior to the poll closing? Would we allow that? The person could post new picks in the thread.
    Yeah, ummm, no. They should have waited to get the additional information they now have before voting. Life lesson learned.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yeah, ummm, no. They should have waited to get the additional information they now have before voting. Life lesson learned.
    I tend to agree. It only takes a few reviews of Rhapsody to come out to decide that won't be a good bet, and rate fellow pollsters opinions on their picks, so patience pays.

I'd love to hear from some field folks. Are you saying the field for one movie in particular? It is always a tempting pick.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I tend to agree. It only takes a few reviews of Rhapsody to come out to decide that won't be a good bet, and rate fellow pollsters opinions on their picks, so patience pays.
    I'm a no as well.
    There’s no need to beat the deadline in this contest.
    And if you’re too focused on beating the deadline, you’re like Ademola Okulaja: You beat yourself.
    /tortured metaphor

So, how do we feel about someone changing their vote prior to the poll closing? Would we allow that? The person could post new picks in the thread.
    If people can still vote then people should be allowed to change their vote. Either keep the precedent that you have followed in the past (allowing vote changes while the poll is still open) or just close the poll for everyone.

Definitely should be allowed to change vote in comments.

Didn’t vote for BR. But still want to see it.

Voted for Harry Potter - lock

Marry Poppins - lock

Then...no guarantees. Went with Ralph, Legos, and The Grinch. That’s 5 “kid” movies. Not gonna happen. Probably should have picked Glass or the field for a sleeper.

Previews of the Grinch have made me laugh. And the visuals are amazing. But I’m not optimistic it finishes in top 5. Too much competition.

I'd love for a couple other folks to weigh in. The person who wants to change their vote is me so I want to see more of a consensus

In the past, we have allowed folks to post a vote change, I think, but it has not happened often.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'd love for a couple other folks to weigh in. The person who wants to change their vote is me so I want to see more of a consensus

In the past, we have allowed folks to post a vote change, I think, but it has not happened often.
    Perhaps we should allow vote changes as long as the voter is willing to swear on their fandom that they have not yet seen any of the movies Although, this does put Carolina fans at a distinct advantage.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Definitely should be allowed to change vote in comments.

Didn’t vote for BR. But still want to see it.

Voted for Harry Potter - lock

Marry Poppins - lock

Then...no guarantees. Went with Ralph, Legos, and The Grinch. That’s 5 “kid” movies. Not gonna happen. Probably should have picked Glass or the field for a sleeper.

Previews of the Grinch have made me laugh. And the visuals are amazing. But I’m not optimistic it finishes in top 5. Too much competition.
    You picked my 5. Does that mean you jynxed me? (PS, you are way more confident in MP than I am, but I hope we are right.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm curious to know what your change would be.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    If people can still vote then people should be allowed to change their vote. Either keep the precedent that you have followed in the past (allowing vote changes while the poll is still open) or just close the poll for everyone.
    I agree with this. In a perfect system the votes would not be “locked in” until the deadline.

This is a lot like fantasty football lineups. Fine to change up until the deadline as new info comes in. Everyone should have the same deadline.

I say allow changes until the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

I'd love to hear from some field folks. Are you saying the field for one movie in particular? It is always a tempting pick.
    I'm just playing the odds tbh. Give me the field
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I have not seen any of the movies in the poll other than Rhapsody and you all know how I feel about that. Frankly, a musical biopic was not going to be a real contender anyway.

Well, I have seen The Favorite and Can You Ever Forgive Me, which are Oscar contenders that do not open for a few weeks but neither of them will be contenders in the poll.

Put another way, nothing I have seen makes me want to change my votes. But, I have heard some buzz about a film that I was considering but left out of my top 5. Now that I have heard the buzz, I am much more excited for that flick. I'm considering dropping Aquaman or Lego 2. My other picks, Beasts 2, Wreck-it 2, and Grinch are all fine.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

… Put another way, nothing I have seen makes me want to change my votes. But, I have heard some buzz about a film that I was considering but left out of my top 5. Now that I have heard the buzz, I am much more excited for that flick. ...
    Mary's gonna POP!

I'm considering dropping Aquaman or Lego 2. My other picks, Beasts 2, Wreck-it 2, and Grinch are all fine.
    With Lego's track record, and the timing of it's release, I am fairly confident in my pick. I looked back at our poll from 2013, and it wasn't an option then. I'm assuming February was not in the mix in those days.
    Had it been, it would have been the #5 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    This is a lot like fantasty football lineups. Fine to change up until the deadline as new info comes in. Everyone should have the same deadline.
    Interesting, it isn't like either type of fantasy football I've played. The one I think you are referring to allows you relative exclusivity of players, in other words you draft a team(usually the best players available in your view) and you can play or not play those players along with the ability to pick up players from the free agent pool. The key difference in that type of game is the relative exclusivity of players. Only one person can have Tom Brady at quarterback. We all pick from the same pool of movies with one wide open selection of the field, there is no exclusivity. So, I would contend comparing to that type of fantasy football isn't a good comparison.

I think the much better fantasy football comparison is Survivor Football. There, the picks aren't exclusive, in fact there are times when the selections for a given week are nearly unanimous. I've never been in a Survivor League where you knew what anyone else picked before the deadline. Why? There is important information available with the knowledge of whom everyone else is picking. I would contend this is the case here. Like Survivor Football, you have to make a pick sometime, because you don't want to miss the deadline if you do then you have lost. So, you can't always wait until the deadline because you might forget or not be able to otherwise meet that deadline. If the poll were secret until the deadline, this would all be a moot point. Since it isn't, I will always be against the idea of allowing someone to change their vote after they click submit.

For a real world example, we see potential impacts from early polling in eastern states on later voting states. Knowing where others stand is not always trivial information. Note why Jason wants to change his pick. He "heard the buzz, I am much more excited for that flick." His information set changed. With an exposed poll, he should have waited for all the information he could get, i.e. until the deadline. That waiting risk must be offset against the other risks present, missing the deadline and letting others know what you are thinking. Everyone went through this evaluation, if only sub-consciously. Most probably evaluated it as "who cares if others know what I'm voting for, it is just a movie guessing poll". But they made the evaluation nonetheless.

There are probably significant holes to my logic as well as types of fantasy football with which I am not familiar. Besides, I'm an engineer, not a doctor(of philosophy or economics).

I could imagine a fantasy football game without player exclusivity but that charges varying prices for players. I think those are played in fantasy baseball. But that type of game has another limitation, a budget that ultimately only allows certain combinations of players. In those games, you are generally playing for a monetary prize. Replicating what many others choose may have an adverse impact on you financially.

You currently have the same Top 5 as me, so I vote to let you change so I don't have to share the title

Early voting is going on around the country. Once you submit your ballot, you don’t get to take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Early voting is going on around the country. Once you submit your ballot, you don’t get to take it back.
    In many of those "early voting" venues, you are not limited to one vote