Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    The Caps played with a intensity the Canes have yet to match. Oviechkin plays nasty, not dirty necessarily, but totally committed to beating your miserable carcass up and down the ice.
    I disagree, the Canes had that intensity in game 3, and were close in games 1,2 and 4. But game 5 was a stinker.

Great performance tonight. Dirty play by Ovechkin with just over a minute to go with that slashing penalty, followed by that string of profanity as he was booed off the ice.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great performance tonight. Dirty play by Ovechkin with just over a minute to go with that slashing penalty, followed by that string of profanity as he was booed off the ice.
    It was a great performance tonight. Justin Williams was amazing. He's just getting better at age 37. That goal he scored that was disallowed...was freaking amazing. Good call, but a shame...what stick control, twice...

now, can they steal one in Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It was a great performance tonight. Justin Williams was amazing. He's just getting better at age 37. That goal he scored that was disallowed...was freaking amazing. Good call, but a shame...what stick control, twice...

now, can they steal one in Washington?
    Game 7's are the best hockey going! Let's Go Canes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I disagree, the Canes had that intensity in game 3, and were close in games 1,2 and 4. But game 5 was a stinker.
    Well we're wailing away at the subjective but except for the first 5-10 minutes of the 2nd period (Game 5) the Canes could not establish anything in the middle of the ice, seriously nada. The Canes effort was there, it was the Caps defense that was so impressive, pushing the Canes to the margins, and taking away any real scoring chances. They were over-powering. No matter I think even for the Caps the game was a outlier. The Canes will elevate their performance in Game 7. They beat the defending Champs in an elimination game, which will give them a world of confidence. They will dig in to the end.

The Caps on the other hand have been griping about every perceived malfeasance to try to gain an emotional edge and win that next 50-50 call. The Canes have finally begun to shake their confidence. I anticipate a 4-3 type of affair. One pundit predicted that the team who can better maintain its composure will win, really genius? Okay if that is a determinant than my money is on the Canes. Ovechkin who has mastered the art of distracting the opponent with borderline cheap shots, looked like he wanted to bite the head off the reputedly metro-sexual Easter bunny last night. That's a mean dude.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He didn't want us to see him cry.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Well we're wailing away at the subjective but except for the first 5-10 minutes of the 2nd period (Game 5) the Canes could not establish anything in the middle of the ice, seriously nada. The Canes effort was there, it was the Caps defense that was so impressive, pushing the Canes to the margins, and taking away any real scoring chances. They were over-powering. No matter I think even for the Caps the game was a outlier. The Canes will elevate their performance in Game 7. They beat the defending Champs in an elimination game, which will give them a world of confidence. They will dig in to the end.

The Caps on the other hand have been griping about every perceived malfeasance to try to gain an emotional edge and win that next 50-50 call. The Canes have finally begun to shake their confidence. I anticipate a 4-3 type of affair. One pundit predicted that the team who can better maintain its composure will win, really genius? Okay if that is a determinant than my money is on the Canes. Ovechkin who has mastered the art of distracting the opponent with borderline cheap shots, looked like he wanted to bite the head off the reputedly metro-sexual Easter bunny last night. That's a mean dude.

Regarding the issues in red: I think Brind A'Mour and the team agrees game 5 was a stinker. They kept the score close for a while - but they were simply not competitive except for parts of period 2.

I do however agree with your points that the Canes have shaken the confidence now, and that Ovy is one nasty sumI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Apropos of that, he's also the best player in hockey. That goal he scored last night was a move only he could make. That said, Ovechkin was expecting to win last night, and he was expecting to be the reason why. He was really on his game. No where in his brain was even the possibility of a game 7. I think this is related to the confidence issue you mentioned. I think Canes are 50-50 chance in game 7.

That said, Ovechkin was expecting to win last night, and he was expecting to be the reason why. He was really on his game. No where in his brain was even the possibility of a game 7.
    I haven't watched a lot of Ovechkin, only this series for extended minutes. On top of the talent, the desire to win and the belief that he is first among equals, he's really pretty petulant and a bit of a crybaby when things don't go his way--not that I'd say that to his face in passing without a sizeable head start. But his exit from last night's game illustrates your point. He spent the evening channeling all that competitive energy into an unproductive result and really couldn't quite handle it at the end.

Meanwhile in San Jose

Enjoying a 3-0 lead with under 11 minutes to go in game 7, the Knights Cody Eakin made what will go down as the bone-head play of the year - a cross check to Pavelski that knocked him out and led to a 5 minute major. Incredibly, the Sharks scored 4 goals in the 5 minutes to take a 4-3 lead. Vegas tied it up with under a minute to go, but the Sharks prevailed in OT, 5-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Enjoying a 3-0 lead with under 11 minutes to go in game 7, the Knights Cody Eakin made what will go down as the bone-head play of the year - a cross check to Pavelski that knocked him out and led to a 5 minute major. Incredibly, the Sharks scored 4 goals in the 5 minutes to take a 4-3 lead. Vegas tied it up with under a minute to go, but the Sharks prevailed in OT, 5-4.
    OMG I fell asleep on that game....MISSED what was a bizarre amazing finish.

According to some players, including the Capitals' Brook Orpik, who's been in the leage 15-18 years or whatever, San Jose and Raleigh are the two loudest arenas in the playoffs....somehow it'd be cool to have a Raleigh-SanJose Final. The Loud High Tech Cup.

Upon watching the replay the cross-check was far less eqregious than what I imagined. I'm glad I don't play hockey. I know my temper and fear what I may be capable of with a weapon in my hand. The cross check itself was pretty tame. Pavelski must've hit is head on the ice or else he took the dive of the century. A 5 minute major was extreme given the circumstances.

Upon watching the replay the cross-check was far less eqregious than what I imagined. I'm glad I don't play hockey. I know my temper and fear what I may be capable of with a weapon in my hand. The cross check itself was pretty tame. Pavelski must've hit is head on the ice or else he took the dive of the century. A 5 minute major was extreme given the circumstances.
    Especially given the consequences of Foegele's cheap shot on Oshie, which put one of the Caps' key players out for the series (and the year, if Washington advances) at the cost of only a two-minute minor.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    Especially given the consequences of Foegele's cheap shot on Oshie, which put one of the Caps' key players out for the series (and the year, if Washington advances) at the cost of only a two-minute minor.
    The hit by Foegle was not a cheap shot...it was a matter of Oshie being in an unfortunate and awkward position when the shot occurred. As Rod Brind A'Mour said, if Washington or the NHL wants to compare video on who has dealt the most malicious hits...fire up your monitor and have at it. That malicious team will NOT be the Canes if anyone goes to the video tape.

As you might have figured, I am sick and tired of hearing about Oshie, while the Cane's have 3 forwards sidelined by cheap Washington shots...3 in the top three lines...and one of them, the Ovy-Svech situation...video clearly shows Ovy dropping the gloves first and challenging the rookie. Ovy nor the NHL Network can be honest about that.

I get it...defending champs, nation's capital, the game's biggest star. But I'll not accept it in this forum without a challenge.

It was a bad call...the injuried player did hit his head on the ice, and he had been beaned by a puck to the face very recently, so his face was already tender. Bad combination of circumstances.

But hey, the Knights got the steal of the century with what the NHL gave them as expansion team....so I'll not shed a tear for the Knights, even as they were the victim of a bad call. And besides, no excuse giving up 4 goals anyway.

The hit by Foegle was not a cheap shot...it was a matter of Oshie being in an unfortunate and awkward position when the shot occurred.
    That's your confirmation bias talking. I have no rooting interest in this series. But I began playing hockey and watching the NHL more than fifty years ago (my team of more than fifty years missed the playoffs...again). Cheap shots come in two basic flavors: the malicious and the crafty. Foegele's was a classic example of the crafty variety. Excellently done, too, with plausible deniability intact, even though the "stick lift" claim is more than a little dodgy. Anyone who has played much should have recognized it immediately.

As Rod Brind A'Mour said, if Washington or the NHL wants to compare video on who has dealt the most malicious hits...fire up your monitor and have at it. That malicious team will NOT be the Canes if anyone goes to the video tape.
    Although Rod is no disinterested expert, he may be right. However, he's (intentionally?) ignoring the "crafty" category.

As you might have figured, I am sick and tired of hearing about Oshie, while the Cane's have 3 forwards sidelined by cheap Washington shots...3 in the top three lines...and one of them, the Ovy-Svech situation...video clearly shows Ovy dropping the gloves first and challenging the rookie. Ovy nor the NHL Network can be honest about that.
    The video suggests that Svechnikov slashed first, followed by two Ovi slashes, a challenge from Svech, the dropping of gloves (Ovi marginally first), and the fight. None of us can know for sure, but it looked like a pretty classic "rookie trying to make a name for himself" move to me.

I get it...defending champs, nation's capital, the game's biggest star. But I'll not accept it in this forum without a challenge.
    I appreciate your standing up for your team.

That's your confirmation bias talking. I have no rooting interest in this series. But I began playing hockey and watching the NHL more than fifty years ago (my team of more than fifty years missed the playoffs...again). Cheap shots come in two basic flavors: the malicious and the crafty. Foegele's was a classic example of the crafty variety. Excellently done, too, with plausible deniability intact, even though the "stick lift" claim is more than a little dodgy. Anyone who has played much should have recognized it immediately.
    actually it was not...my initial reaction was "you dumb bass Foegle...what are you doing????" It was only after Roddy, several times, insisted that it was not a cheap shot, that I arrived at my position. Rod changed my position on it. He's very honest about criticiizing his team for bad penalties - so while he's not dis-interested of course - he's always been candid as a player and a coach.

And on balance, there's no doubt the Caps are more of a cheap shot team. It's more important to how they play. Ovechkin is the only player who is simultaneously the most skilled player in the game and one of the biggest thugs. Oshie the same. Wilson even worse. Wilson has elbowed so many heads he should have a warrant out for his arrest. Like I said, let's roll the tape and see....there's no doubt what we'll find.

And no, Svech did not challenge Ovy to make a name for himself. Ovy challenged him, and the rookie thought he had no choice but to go. If you know the players' personalities, this is the only possibility and it also matches the replay (though I admit not conclusively). Ovy is a 33 year old crafty veteran Russian sumI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this...as one great sign in the PNC arena said the other night: "Hey Ovy,I'm 8 years old...you wanna hit me?"

And on balance, there's no doubt the Caps are more of a cheap shot team.
    As I noted before, you may be right on this. I haven't seen either team regularly.

And no, Svech did not challenge Ovy to make a name for himself. Ovy challenged him, and the rookie thought he had no choice but to go. If you know the players' personalities, this is the only possibility and it also matches the replay (though I admit not conclusively).
    There's no conclusive evidence, but the "players' personalities" factored into my assessment (except that I don't know Svechnikov much at all). It was only Ovechkin's fourth NHL fight and first since 2010.

Ovy is a 33 year old crafty veteran Russian sumI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this...
    On this point we completely agree.

On this point we completely agree.
    And as I noted before, he is the best player in the NHL right now by a pretty good margin - as much as I hate to admit it. It is what it is. And Crosby has fallen off, Ovy is only getting better. I think Ovy is far more durable than Crosby too. Connor McDavid is not there yet....

And as I noted before, he is the best player in the NHL right now by a pretty good margin - as much as I hate to admit it. It is what it is. And Crosby has fallen off, Ovy is only getting better. I think Ovy is far more durable than Crosby too. Connor McDavid is not there yet...
    We'd all love to have him on our favorite team.

It was a bad call...the injuried player did hit his head on the ice, and he had been beaned by a puck to the face very recently, so his face was already tender. Bad combination of circumstances.

But hey, the Knights got the steal of the century with what the NHL gave them as expansion team...so I'll not shed a tear for the Knights, even as they were the victim of a bad call. And besides, no excuse giving up 4 goals anyway.
    Shark fan here, so I will admit to bias. But I looked up the NHL Rulebook...for stick fouls there is no defined difference between a 2 minute minor and a major except for "the severity of the contact," which is "at the discretion of the referee." Normally refs will use "drawing blood" as the criteria for making it a double minor. If a cross-check that ends up with a player unconscious isn't worse than a bloody lip, what does it take? By the way, this was not a legitimate hockey play - it immediately followed a faceoff and the puck was elsewhere. Pure punk behavior and I'm glad he got sent to the showers along with all the Knights.