Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I see where the Canes owner pitched $250M to the AAF, keeping the league afloat, and in return is becoming their chairman. It's possible he brings an AAF team to Raleigh.
    Yeah, I didn't like that news....needs to be able to spend on the Canes (and maybe he still can)

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Hopefully that goes better than when the Raleigh Durham Skyhawks played for half a season (4 games?) in the World Football League at Wally Wade.
    I've no idea whether it will work or not, but they have a lot going for it that none of the other attempts have had. For one thing, it's a single entity....teams will not be in financial competition with each other - the league as a whole will be in competition against other entertainment options. Also, their calendar fully allows, and encourages, players to pursue NFL opportunities while still being in the AAF.

    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Love the “Bunch of Jerks” t-shirt.
    Don’t love the price- $32????😱
    Small market team, gotta make the frogskins wherever they can....and to their credit, they've done a masterful job of trolling Don Cherry, who given his absurd wardrobe, should not call anyone out for trying to have fun and bring levity to the game. (also, most gear from The Eye is high quality...)
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae

  3. #43
    Shamelessly borrowed from online commentary: only a bunch of jerks would lose on bunch of jerks night 😂

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Shamelessly borrowed from online commentary: only a bunch of jerks would lose on bunch of jerks night ��
    They went back to early season form...dominating play but not winning. I kinda preferred the playing so-so but finding a way to win dynamic better. Seriously, I've never seen a team lose so many games they should've won...and won so many they should've lost. Hockey is that way often...but this season is ridiculous. I knew when we hit the post early it might be that kind of night...then the Rangers get two controversial goals. BANGHEAD ICON?
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    They went back to early season form...dominating play but not winning. I kinda preferred the playing so-so but finding a way to win dynamic better. Seriously, I've never seen a team lose so many games they should've won...and won so many they should've lost. Hockey is that way often...but this season is ridiculous. I knew when we hit the post early it might be that kind of night...then the Rangers get two controversial goals. BANGHEAD ICON?
    There's something mystical about this team, in a not so positive way. But at least they're not losing in OT or shootouts as in past years with Cam. That was excruciating. Getting rid of Skinner, despite the success his found in Buffalo (won't last IMHO) and solving the goalie problem at least for the moment it seems, still gives me hope for this season.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    There's something mystical about this team, in a not so positive way. But at least they're not losing in OT or shootouts as in past years with Cam. That was excruciating. Getting rid of Skinner, despite the success his found in Buffalo (won't last IMHO) and solving the goalie problem at least for the moment it seems, still gives me hope for this season.
    I wouldn't write them off....they really haven't gotten their share of good bounces on the season...though they've had some lately, it hasn't evened out yet. By most metrics they are one of the very best teams in the NHL...just not the metric of W/L. Some seasons the breaks never do even out.

    That said, a nice start to road trip last night with regulation win.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I wouldn't write them off...they really haven't gotten their share of good bounces on the season...though they've had some lately, it hasn't evened out yet. By most metrics they are one of the very best teams in the NHL...just not the metric of W/L. Some seasons the breaks never do even out.

    That said, a nice start to road trip last night with regulation win.
    True, but I haven't yet decided if Justin Williams' first goal last evening was good bounce or a bad one.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    True, but I haven't yet decided if Justin Williams' first goal last evening was good bounce or a bad one.
    Any puck that goes in for us is a good bounce...any puck that goes in for them...is a bad bounce. Of course, I assume you refer to William's sacrificing his face for the team....
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Shut out Dallas 3-0 tonight..

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Shut out Dallas 3-0 tonight..
    Canes are a different team...for the moment. I don't know what the NHL playoff order is, I presume worst wildcard gets the best record in the East Conference? Canes need to set their sights on the Caps or maybe the Islanders to avoid Tampa Bay in the first round. TB is on track for a 130+ point season and that's just stupid silly. They have a chance to pass the 76-77 Canadiens for the most points in a season 132, the team considered the greatest of the modern era.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 02-23-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: After "covfefe" it just seems like the prudent thing to do.

  11. #51
    I'm a Tampa Bay Lightning fan. Sorry, but it's our year. You all know that, though.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Surely looks like it, but let's not get ahead of ourselves..lol

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    I'm a Tampa Bay Lightning fan. Sorry, but it's our year. You all know that, though.
    On the one hand, yeah, I know it, and agree with it. I just told my son that the Canes needed to get to the 7th seed so as not to play Tampa Bay, because I think TB is the only team we probably couldn't beat in a series even coming into the play offs hot...two hot keepers... with some good bounces. Canes normally don't match up well with the Lightning.

    (Then again, when they last played in TB...6 penalties on the Canes were required to help the Lightning win in Tampa, after trailing almost the entire game.And the Canes did make the Finals one year from the 7 or 8 seed...not sure which. )
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  14. #54
    Team stood pat at the trade deadline....a good call I think. Been best team in NHL in 2019...in a playoff spot at the moment.

    Won tonight 6-1 in front of the NHL Commish and the team owner in from Dallas. Shoulda watched that instead of Duke VT....
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Team stood pat at the trade deadline...a good call I think. Been best team in NHL in 2019...in a playoff spot at the moment.

    Won tonight 6-1 in front of the NHL Commish and the team owner in from Dallas. Shoulda watched that instead of Duke VT...
    The accepted wisdom in hockey is that you can't win without a dominating center anchoring your top line. Carolina hasn't had one of those for years and they haven't won for years. But does that prove the maxim true? I don't think so. The pundits, who apparently don't feel they're doing their job unless their lips are moving, have been imploring the Canes to trade away one of the teams talented defensemen for a center as if all you have to do is pop down to your local flea market and pick up a Backstrom, Malkin or Crosby. But the Canes aren't looking for a rental just to get them to the playoffs. They're building for the future and winning in the present, what's better than that?

    The only thing that resembles "normal" about how the Canes lines are constructed is the defense, all of whom are under the age of 27. They contributed 3 goals last evening. The Canes had two natural centers on the roster last night and with Staal's absence they've been playing most of the season with a winger filling in on the 3rd and 4th lines. Breaking up the defense at this point of the season would have been a bad move.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 02-27-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Just ask their two goalies, both with sub 2.5 GAAs over the last 25 games.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    The accepted wisdom in hockey is that you can't win without a dominating center anchoring your top line. Carolina hasn't had one of those for years and they haven't won for years. But does that prove the maxim true? I don't think so. The pundits, who apparently don't feel they're doing their job unless their lips are moving, have been imploring the Canes to trade away one of the teams talented defensemen for a center as if all you have to do is pop down to your local flea market and pick up a Backstrom, Malkin or Crosby. But the Canes aren't looking for a rental just to get them to the playoffs. They're building for the future and winning in the present, what's better than that?

    The only thing that resembles "normal" about how the Canes lines are constructed is the defense, all of whom are under the age of 27. They contributed 3 goals last evening. The Canes had two natural centers on the roster last night and with Staal's absence they've been playing most of the season with a winger filling in on the 3rd and 4th lines. Breaking up the defense at this point of the season would have been a bad move.
    I think making any changes would've been bad....as they've been the best, or second best, team in the NHL for 2019...that's now two full months...a not insignificant sample. Now of course, Staal comes back, so there's the big center who can win face offs. Any other change might've screwed up what is clearly great chemistry now. The team was so jacked up at standing pat that they rocked the Kings last night early and often.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  17. #57
    Astounding win tonight....back to back on the road against a rested team....4-3 in overtime...
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Astounding win tonight...back to back on the road against a rested team...4-3 in overtime...
    We love astounding feats of athleticism but in hockey it seems rare because everybody is dressed up like the Michelin man. That save by Mrazek tonight leading to the 2 man rush up the ice and the diving finish by Aho was simply exhilarating. This team is just fun. The Canes actually have a decent shot at winning the Metro. Unreal.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    We love astounding feats of athleticism but in hockey it seems rare because everybody is dressed up like the Michelin man. That save by Mrazek tonight leading to the 2 man rush up the ice and the diving finish by Aho was simply exhilarating. This team is just fun. The Canes actually have a decent shot at winning the Metro. Unreal.
    That save by Mhrazek and the rush by Aho made it an exhilarating finish for sure....of course, you don't really understand the speed of hockey, and thereby the athleticism, until you see it in person in the first few rows. Our season tix were only about 20 rows up...in the lower bowl....but man, the difference in the way you perceive the speed and power on the front row or second row is amazing...

    This team is fun and exciting...and I heard a GM from another team said no one wants to play them, that they are big, fast and relentless in their style. And now that they have some good, or really good, goaltending....watch out!
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That save by Mhrazek and the rush by Aho made it an exhilarating finish for sure...of course, you don't really understand the speed of hockey, and thereby the athleticism, until you see it in person in the first few rows. Our season tix were only about 20 rows up...in the lower bowl...but man, the difference in the way you perceive the speed and power on the front row or second row is amazing...

    This team is fun and exciting...and I heard a GM from another team said no one wants to play them, that they are big, fast and relentless in their style. And now that they have some good, or really good, goaltending...watch out!
    I became hooked after I attended my first game, Game 2 of the 2006 Quarterfinals..yup the game Cam Ward replaced Martin Gerber. Talk about an initiation. But you're right. Next season I picked up a 10-game season ticket package, 4 rows off the office, behind the goal in Section 113. Knowing little about hockey, the first thing I learned was "Oh, ok, that's why shifts only last 45 seconds." The expenditure of energy is off the charts. I wrestled in high school and for my money it's the only sport that requires a similarly sustained effort. Far more demanding than I had credited it to be.

Similar Threads

  1. Hurricane Maria
    By dudog84 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-19-2017, 09:09 PM
  2. Hurricane Irma
    By DUKIECB in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-17-2017, 12:26 PM
  3. Hurricane Harvey
    By Tom B. in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-03-2017, 10:52 AM
  4. Hurricane Matthew
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 10-12-2016, 06:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •