Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 273
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is a general hockey question:

    Why do American broadcasters pronounce "Candadiens" in Montreal Canadiens so wierd? As best I can tell, Canadian media does not do this. Where did this come from? Is there a story there?

    Expected pronunciation: Canadi-ehns with no stress on the last syllable (similar sound to "end" or the last syllable of Jonathan"

    Common pronunciation (at least by Hurricanes related media people): Canadi-ANS with the last syllable heavily stressed and pronounced with the same sound you get in the word "and" or "ants".
    Not enough poutine?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is a general hockey question:

    Why do American broadcasters pronounce "Candadiens" in Montreal Canadiens so wierd? As best I can tell, Canadian media does not do this. Where did this come from? Is there a story there?

    Expected pronunciation: Canadi-ehns with no stress on the last syllable (similar sound to "end" or the last syllable of Jonathan"

    Common pronunciation (at least by Hurricanes related media people): Canadi-ANS with the last syllable heavily stressed and pronounced with the same sound you get in the word "and" or "ants".
    I've always heard the pronunciation with the emphasis on the last syllable. The spelling is Canadien...the spelling for someone from Canada is Canadian. Not sure what that means, but diff spelling, diff pronunciation.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I've always heard the pronunciation with the emphasis on the last syllable. The spelling is Canadien...the spelling for someone from Canada is Canadian. Not sure what that means, but diff spelling, diff pronunciation.
    Pretty sure it is just the French spelling of Canadian, but it isn't the French pronunciation or the local English pronunciation of the word. This is why I'm confused (and annoyed...for some reason I find it deeply annoying and I keep hearing it due to the lead up to the game tonight. Apparently I'm not the only one confused, there is a debate about it on the Wikipedia page for the team!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Pretty sure it is just the French spelling of Canadian, but it isn't the French pronunciation or the local English pronunciation of the word. This is why I'm confused (and annoyed...for some reason I find it deeply annoying and I keep hearing it due to the lead up to the game tonight. Apparently I'm not the only one confused, there is a debate about it on the Wikipedia page for the team!
    That may be the French spelling, and as a lyrical "Romance" language, the French pronunciation would be likely to have that emphasis on the last syllable...or really, an equal emphasis on the second and fourth syllable - and equal non emphasis on the first and third syllables. As opposed to the pronunciation with only emphasis on the second syllable.

    I will say this...Canada is a HUUUGE country with differing dialects. And hockey announcers and media generally are often from Canada - or have deep ties to Canada and Candadians.

    Interestingly, here is a Canadian YouTube teaching to indeed hit that third syllable with emphasis...more "Ca-NA-de-EENS"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5583LtJDrWM

    And apparently, there is disagreement on this fans forum: http://forums.habsworld.net/index.ph...pronunciation/

    Then there is the fact that they have a secondary nickname..."the Habs" -
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That may be the French spelling, and as a lyrical "Romance" language, the French pronunciation would be likely to have that emphasis on the last syllable...or really, an equal emphasis on the second and fourth syllable - and equal non emphasis on the first and third syllables. As opposed to the pronunciation with only emphasis on the second syllable.

    I will say this...Canada is a HUUUGE country with differing dialects. And hockey announcers and media generally are often from Canada - or have deep ties to Canada and Candadians.

    Interestingly, here is a Canadian YouTube teaching to indeed hit that third syllable with emphasis...more "Ca-NA-de-EENS"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5583LtJDrWM

    And apparently, there is disagreement on this fans forum: http://forums.habsworld.net/index.ph...pronunciation/

    Then there is the fact that they have a secondary nickname..."the Habs" -
    That fan forum has convinced me the weird pronunciation is wrong. Emphasizing the last syllable is fine, but I can't find any reason it should be prounced "Canadi-ANS" (rhymes with Cheyanne[s]). Prounouncing it Canadi-ENS with the emphasis (but rhymes with Jen[s], or even Jean[s]) would be fine. Maybe this should be in the words you really hate thread?

    Or maybe I need to produce my own Family Guy style "Grinds my Gears" segment.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That fan forum has convinced me the weird pronunciation is wrong. Emphasizing the last syllable is fine, but I can't find any reason it should be prounced "Canadi-ANS" (rhymes with Cheyanne[s]). Prounouncing it Canadi-ENS with the emphasis (but rhymes with Jen[s], or even Jean[s]) would be fine. Maybe this should be in the words you really hate thread?

    Or maybe I need to produce my own Family Guy style "Grinds my Gears" segment.
    I rarely hear the last syllable as ANS....I hear it almost always as INS -...maybe an occasional UNS....but I just don't hear ANS.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Then there is the fact that they have a secondary nickname..."the Habs" -
    Habs comes from a shortening of "les habitants" - the inhabitants of Montreal. Pardon any misspelling - I neither speak nor write French.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Habs comes from a shortening of "les habitants" - the inhabitants of Montreal. Pardon any misspelling - I neither speak nor write French.
    Yep I know...one of those delightful ole school kind of sub nick names - that is kind of related to the official mascot - that could only have evolved long ago. Kind of like how newspapers may use the term "Bucs" as a short version for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Never buccaneers, always Pirates or Bucs. Never habitants...only habs or Canadiens...

    On the other hand, some of these sub nick names, or alternative names, always have kind of fascinated me when they have nothing to do with the main mascot. I don't seem to hear much about "the ramblin wreck" of Georgia Tech anymore...used to almost be used as often as Yellow Jackets...and of course the names have nothing to do with each other. Another one is Auburn and Tigers, or wait, also War Eagles? Seems to me there are others, can't think of at the moment.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Yep I know...one of those delightful ole school kind of sub nick names - that is kind of related to the official mascot - that could only have evolved long ago. Kind of like how newspapers may use the term "Bucs" as a short version for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Never buccaneers, always Pirates or Bucs. Never habitants...only habs or Canadiens...

    On the other hand, some of these sub nick names, or alternative names, always have kind of fascinated me when they have nothing to do with the main mascot. I don't seem to hear much about "the ramblin wreck" of Georgia Tech anymore...used to almost be used as often as Yellow Jackets...and of course the names have nothing to do with each other. Another one is Auburn and Tigers, or wait, also War Eagles? Seems to me there are others, can't think of at the moment.
    And I ask "what the hell's a Wahoo?" and what's it got to do with the Virginia Cavaliers?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And I ask "what the hell's a Wahoo?" and what's it got to do with the Virginia Cavaliers?
    Isn't that what you tell when a Cavalier wins the game?

  11. #31

    Canes back in Play off position...

    The Canes have the best record in the NHL since All Star Break...and with 3-0 win tonight, are back in play off position....
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    One point out..

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    One point out..
    Actually, in by a point as of last night as a wild card. One point out of 3rd in the Metro.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 02-17-2019 at 06:01 AM.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Canes with a great opportunity tonight against the Rangers to climb back above the playoff line not only as a wild card entry but as a division leader as well. Meanwhile, Don Cherry, who dresses like your Aunt Edith just back from a rummage sale, has called the Canes a "Bunch of Jerks" for the post-game celebrations and called the Canes unprofessional. it's tough to do anything truly creative wearing ice skates (figure skaters not withstanding) so some of their celebrations are a bit hokey, but that isn't the point. The Canes have injected some badly needed energy into the fan base of a program moribund for the last decade. It's been fun watching these guys.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Canes with a great opportunity tonight against the Rangers to climb back above the playoff line not only as a wild card entry but as a division leader as well. Meanwhile, Don Cherry, who dresses like your Aunt Edith just back from a rummage sale, has called the Canes a "Bunch of Jerks" for the post-game celebrations and called the Canes unprofessional. it's tough to do anything truly creative wearing ice skates (figure skaters not withstanding) so some of their celebrations are a bit hokey, but that isn't the point. The Canes have injected some badly needed energy into the fan base of a program moribund for the last decade. It's been fun watching these guys.
    This is the time of year when the Canes traditionally start to "pretend contend" before falling just below the playoff line.

    I hope it is different this time.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    This is the time of year when the Canes traditionally start to "pretend contend" before falling just below the playoff line.

    I hope it is different this time.
    Yup I was going to comment on that. Can't remember how many times they had a chance to move above the playoff line only to lose to a team with a lesser record. But this time around goaltending is vastly improved you have to admit. The Canes have played solid hockey for more than two months including multiple win streaks in the 3 to 5 game range. It's the perfect setup to sucker in the fans once again but something tells me this time it will be different.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    This is the time of year when the Canes traditionally start to "pretend contend" before falling just below the playoff line.

    I hope it is different this time.
    Clearly that's the trend since 2010...but I am feeling different about this one. I mean, it's still 50-50 I think at best, but Roddy as coach has made a big difference. He was the absolute best captain of any team I've ever seen in 2006. We really didn't know how mediocre Ron Francis was as captain til he retired and Rod became captain.
    Roddy was a natural captain as a player, and a natural coach too. A lot of the same skills are needed.

    Lot of analogy to 2002...when they barely snuck into the playoffs, then went all the way to the Finals against Detroit. The team played the best hockey in the NHL after the break, and snuck up on the league. As of today, the Canes have the best record since the break again. Maybe a good omen?
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I see where the Canes owner pitched $250M to the AAF, keeping the league afloat, and in return is becoming their chairman. It's possible he brings an AAF team to Raleigh.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I see where the Canes owner pitched $250M to the AAF, keeping the league afloat, and in return is becoming their chairman. It's possible he brings an AAF team to Raleigh.
    Hopefully that goes better than when the Raleigh Durham Skyhawks played for half a season (4 games?) in the World Football League at Wally Wade.

  20. #40
    Love the “Bunch of Jerks” t-shirt.
    Don’t love the price- $32????😱

Similar Threads

  1. Hurricane Maria
    By dudog84 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-19-2017, 09:09 PM
  2. Hurricane Irma
    By DUKIECB in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-17-2017, 12:26 PM
  3. Hurricane Harvey
    By Tom B. in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-03-2017, 10:52 AM
  4. Hurricane Matthew
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 10-12-2016, 06:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •