Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    This is a tough series for me. I lived in Carolina from 1986 - 1994 and then again from 2000 through 2008. In the latter run, I became a huge Carolina fan. Went to every playoff game in their Stanley Cup run except Game 7 (sigh - was in Texas for that, and heard that it was the most amazing game to see live...but then again, so were a lot of the playoff games that year). Was friends with the Marketing Director for the team, and got to go to his house when he hosted the Cup for one day (picture with me and my family touching the cup sits on my desk). Still have my (Eric) Staal Canes jersey.

But then moved to Boston in 2008. My son was 5 at the time. He is now a HUGE Bruins fan (and Patriots, and Red Sox and Celtics). Shared season tickets for a few years. Went to a few Stanley Cup games up here that they won. Know this Bruins team inside and out. I guess it will be the rare series where whoever wins I will be happy for. Have tickets to Game 7 if it goes that far. My heart tells me that the Bruins will win, but my gut says that Carolina is playing like one of those special teams at the moment, and that they will win one of the first two games here, then take it in 6 at home (where they can't seem to lose at the moment).

Good luck Canes fans. Should be a great series!

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    This is a tough series for me. I lived in Carolina from 1986 - 1994 and then again from 2000 through 2008. In the latter run, I became a huge Carolina fan. Went to every playoff game in their Stanley Cup run except Game 7 (sigh - was in Texas for that, and heard that it was the most amazing game to see live...but then again, so were a lot of the playoff games that year). Was friends with the Marketing Director for the team, and got to go to his house when he hosted the Cup for one day (picture with me and my family touching the cup sits on my desk). !
    Great story and a great photo keepsake for you.

Indeed it was amazing to be there for Game 7...you could feel an incredible intensity just pulling into the parking lot. Hard to explain really. And the roar when Bret Hedican slipped a pass across the ice to Justin Williams...when we realized that the pass would get thru and that Williams would score an empty netter to clinch the Cup...that was the loudest crowd I've ever heard. It was 134 DB...which supposedly was hit two other times in that same game. My ears rang for days. So worth it.

At the time, we were neighbors across Penny Road from the Lavoilettes, and car pooled with them to little league hockey and baseball. Peter Jr. was my son's age. Forslund's son was on the same teams. It was neat to be season tix holders, and friends of the head coach and broadcaster, as they won the Cup. All very nice people. That just made it even more magical than merely being long time tix holders...unbelievable memories.

Stream the Game tonight?

I recently cut the cord(cancelled sling), and now only have amazon prime and NetFlix. Anybody know how to watch the game tonight on NBCSN? I have the app downloaded to my firestick, but apparantly you can't stream without a tv subscription. Why can't I just pay a fee for just the NBCSN app like HBO go?

Sheeeeeeeesh

How did McGinn NOT score on that short handed odd man rush???????

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I recently cut the cord(cancelled sling), and now only have amazon prime and NetFlix. Anybody know how to watch the game tonight on NBCSN? I have the app downloaded to my firestick, but apparantly you can't stream without a tv subscription. Why can't I just pay a fee for just the NBCSN app like HBO go?
    Try Reddit streams. Always works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    How did McGinn NOT score on that short handed odd man rush???????
    Or Aho on that redirect out of the air. So awesome though.

WTF was that penalty on Hamilton for?

This certainly looks to be a...feisty series.

that went from fun to crap quickly with those power plays.

Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    WTF was that penalty on Hamilton for?

This certainly looks to be a...feisty series.
    Dougie is killing us

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Or Aho on that redirect out of the air. So awesome though.
    The redirect from Aho was a great save...McGinn just choked...and now Hamilton has lost his shat......and Mrazek giving up some softies.

They looked totally in control for a good stretch but have totally fallen apart after those power play goals.

They looked totally in control for a good stretch but have totally fallen apart after those power play goals.
    Well, fell apart to commit dumb penalties....in the first place. Jordan Staal...WTF was he doing? That was BAAAD penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well, fell apart to commit dumb penalties...in the first place. Jordan Staal...WTF was he doing? That was BAAAD penalty.
    Yep the Staal penalty was the game changer. Looked pretty dumb

Tough game to lose. Was winnable after such a great 2nd period.

I'm definitely no hockey expert, and it might well not have mattered, but was that maybe a tad early to pull the goalie?

I'm definitely no hockey expert, and it might well not have mattered, but was that maybe a tad early to pull the goalie?
    No, the Canes normally pull them earlier than most, and it's served them well for the most part. At that point, you're in a very low percentage situation anyway. They simply lost because:
    A: they missed a chippie that would've put them up 3-1
    B: Staal the veteran commited stupid penalty that turned the game around
    C: Mrazek was not sharp. Bad decision I think to start him with McIlhenny on a 3 game streak.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Dougie is killing us
    I thought both Hamilton penalties were garbage. Can't you hit a guy with the puck? And that other one was hardly a hit at all, much less a high one.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I thought both Hamilton penalties were garbage. Can't you hit a guy with the puck? And that other one was hardly a hit at all, much less a high one.
    Yep, and the non call on Svech was BS also. NHL has a real problem with officiating. It's very capricious. They have the best replay system of any sport, but it's just a crap shoot with the whistles.

Coach K sighting on NHL NBC broadcast...

Coach K with little cameo on NBC saying "the final four...not bad for a bunch of jerks..."

Coach K just got me so pumped for this. That was awesome.

Slavin and Mrazek in molasses...

Slavin is terrible today. Methinks his wife kept him on the phone last night about their new baby...something. And Mrazek...this was predictable...bad move by Roddy to pull McIlhinney out on a 3 game streak.