Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Canes goalie McElHinney with the game of his life!

After our explosion in the 2nd period - looking good!

Svechnikov wide open!

This baby is over!

Islanders looked like the better team by far in the first period. But Canes exploded in the 2nd, outstanding work from backup goalie, and Canes just get better as the game goes on. Canes fully in control now.

The experts were picking the Islanders to win this series. But now,

Sweep! (first one in Canes history)
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 05-03-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Impressive series. Good job.

This is becoming quite a story...so much fun in Raleigh area when this kind of thing is going on...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This is becoming quite a story...so much fun in Raleigh area when this kind of thing is going on...
    Even in Winston, i'm seeing hurricane bumper stickers on everybody's car. I haven't seen many of them since '06. I love that our current coach, Brindamour was on that team. Could this season also end with Lord Stanley's cup? Our chances now look as good as anybody's.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Islanders looked like the better team by far in the first period. But Canes exploded in the 2nd, outstanding work from backup goalie, and Canes just get better as the game goes on. Canes fully in control now.

The experts were picking the Islanders to win this series. But now,

Sweep! (first one in Canes history)
    Minor correction. First 4-0 sweep in franchise history. The Whalers had a 3-0 sweep back in the day.

The best part of the sweep from a Canes perspective is that it gives them some badly-needed time off to rest and recuperate, while Columbus and Boston play at least two more games, risking injury and tiring out already tired bodies.

And nobody would be surprised to see that go seven.

As an aside, if Mrazek gets healthy, does he automatically start over McElhinney? My best guess is yes. But it's still a question.

Even in Winston, i'm seeing hurricane bumper stickers on everybody's car. I haven't seen many of them since '06. I love that our current coach, Brindamour was on that team. Could this season also end with Lord Stanley's cup? Our chances now look as good as anybody's.
    I think Charlotte is getting on board too...the Canes have had to bring in several members of the Charlotte Checkers team with all their injuries...and tonight Ron Rivera was the honorary sounder of the siren pre game....

I wasn’t watching the game last night. We went to the NC Symphony in Raleigh instead. After the first piece the visiting conductor, Carlos Miguel Prieto, whose regular gig is as conductor of the Mexican National Symphony, came back out with the soloists for the second piece. Before beginning he said that he had been asked to make an announcement that the Hurricanes were up 4-1 midway in the second period. The response was loud and sustained cheering. The guest conductor then said that he had been told to make sure he said “second period” instead of “second quarter.” People laughed at that.

Playoff hockey is making quite an impact in the Triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I wasn’t watching the game last night. We went to the NC Symphony in Raleigh instead. After the first piece the visiting conductor, Carlos Miguel Prieto, whose regular gig is as conductor of the Mexican National Symphony, came back out with the soloists for the second piece. Before beginning he said that he had been asked to make an announcement that the Hurricanes were up 4-1 midway in the second period. The response was loud and sustained cheering. The guest conductor then said that he had been told to make sure he said “second period” instead of “second quarter.” People laughed at that.

Playoff hockey is making quite an impact in the Triangle.

Wow, THAT leaves me nonplussed. It's both great and strangely disconcerting.

Sounds like we're rooting for Columbus in this series. Boston seems to be the better team.

Bummer van Riemsdyk is done for the season with shoulder surgery. He was a top defender. But Canes next-man-up has been stepping up so far. And I don't think this was a surprise after his injury in game 2.

The rest should do our other wounded warriors some good.

Sounds like we're rooting for Columbus in this series. Boston seems to be the better team.
    Uh, I'm not sure about that. Not sure about that at all. Columbus destroyed the historically good Tampa Bay team in a sweep, and they've looked the equal of Boston in this series over all. The Islanders probably thought it was smart to root for the Hurricanes over the Caps. In the NHL, especially this year, you just can't make those assumptions.

The one caveat to that? Canes get home ice advantage over Columbus - but not Boston. And I think the Canes are the only team unbeaten at home in the playoffs.

Watching a little Boston-Columbus now. It's amazing how much quieter the Boston building is than Carolina's, or Columbus' for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i was at a Raleigh Ice Caps game, surrounded by some lawyers and a couple of judges, when an opposing team's fan blasted an air-horn right behind my ear...

he repeatedly threatened me as i "relieved him" of his coveted toy. My buddies just watched...

oh, no charges were filed...
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Air horn? Was it Ozzie?
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Ozzie toots?
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    A former tooter.
    I bought my air horn during the ‘73-‘74 season and we sat behind the visitor’s bench in row 4, just behind the ‘buffer zone’. I blew it both during the game and time outs. It was legal then;
    now no because of the “Ozzie rule” - no artificial noise makers allowed. Clemson’s Tate’s Lock gave me the most hateful look I’ve ever seen - and I stood there blasting it at him during an entire time out, and he never spoke to his team, just glared at me with an ever reddening face. I thought he was going to stroke out! Lefty and I came to an agreement - I would only blow it during time outs. We discussed it about 10 years ago at an Iron Duke tailgate. Ah, fun memories! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ah, fun memories! LGD GTHc!
    i make my living with my ears. holding the airhorn high over your head, pointing skyward is one thing. This guy blasted it less than 6 inches from the back of my head POINTING at the back of my head...

i'm still shocked that no charges were filed (against me)
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i make my living with my ears.
    I recommend staying away from PNC arena in the playoffs....

So it's the Bruins...

I think this is better match up for the Canes than the Jackets would've been. I wouldn't have minded a game 7 in the Boston Columbus series...but here we go.

Great interview with Coach Roddy....

Love Roddy as coach of this team. This story is okay, but the interview with Roddy by the NHL Tonight crew is great....great questions, great interaction, and just the awesomeness of Rod.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-mv...ff/c-307262540

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think this is better match up for the Canes than the Jackets would've been. I wouldn't have minded a game 7 in the Boston Columbus series...but here we go.
    Perhaps. But as good as the Canes have been at home in the playoffs having home-ice advantage against CBJ would have been nice.

Very much agree about game seven.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Perhaps. But as good as the Canes have been at home in the playoffs having home-ice advantage against CBJ would have been nice.

Very much agree about game seven.
    Having home ice against Columbus would've been nice for sure, as the Canes are the only team unbeaten at home in the playoffs (I think that's right). To my eye, Columbus has a crazy loud home atmosphere as well, so Carolina Columbus would have been ridiculous in that regard.

As I'm watching some of that series- I was mentally going back and forth between who I would rather see the Canes play. Of course, hand picking your preferred opponent is always a dangerous hobby. I'm sure Islander fans were thrilled to be playing the Canes and not the Caps. We saw how that worked out for them. Now that we're here, it's hard to imagine that a few weeks ago, everyone assumed Tampa Bay would be here still. It's been a wild NHL play off season, and this should be fun. I do like the Canes over Boston in a tough series.