Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I became hooked after I attended my first game, Game 2 of the 2006 Quarterfinals..yup the game Cam Ward replaced Martin Gerber. Talk about an initiation. But you're right. Next season I picked up a 10-game season ticket package, 4 rows off the office, behind the goal in Section 113. Knowing little about hockey, the first thing I learned was "Oh, ok, that's why shifts only last 45 seconds." The expenditure of energy is off the charts. I wrestled in high school and for my money it's the only sport that requires a similarly sustained effort. Far more demanding than I had credited it to be.
    Hah, I was in DC last week and met a guy who was an olympic wrestler, and now travels the world using wrestling to mend fences between people groups and nations...and we got to chatting about all kinds of things. I told him I've always thought wrestling was the longest two minutes in sport...and it is...but when I saw hockey, I realized that was the longest 50 seconds in sports...

We were season tix holders in 06, and neighbors to Peter Lavoilette and family. We carpooled with them to little league hockey for his son and mine. WHAT A RIDE!!!!! that Cup run was...really the whole season.

Coming off their worst game of the year, a home Friday night 8-1 loss...the Canes went the very next night to Nashville and beat the Predators 5-3. The Preds were not only at home, but had three nights rest. Great win to keep momentum going and to stay inside the playoff cut line and even the automatic bid cut line. (4 teams fighting for 3 spots...VERY tight between the 4).

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Coming off their worst game of the year, a home Friday night 8-1 loss...the Canes went the very next night to Nashville and beat the Predators 5-3. The Preds were not only at home, but had three nights rest. Great win to keep momentum going and to stay inside the playoff cut line and even the automatic bid cut line. (4 teams fighting for 3 spots...VERY tight between the 4).
    Were you nervous? I was (as much as I get nervous over hockey which relative to playing the lying scum sucking, fetid pussbags from Chapel Hill, isn't much) wondering if they had sucked me in again to thinking this year was going to be different. Great effort and comeback after getting thoroughly eviscerated by the Pegs.

Were you nervous? I was (as much as I get nervous over hockey which relative to playing the lying scum sucking, fetid pussbags from Chapel Hill, isn't much) wondering if they had sucked me in again to thinking this year was going to be different. Great effort and comeback after getting thoroughly eviscerated by the Pegs.
    After two great months...they did go 0-1-1 in two games including the 8-1 disaster....but the win at Nashville, the Predators at home and rested, was a great win. And the tie they forced two games ago was a gutty way to get a point in the standings.

If you're gonna lose, might as well be 8-1 than 2-1.

Big Win over Pittsburgh Penguins...

Huge win tonight over the Pens....puts them in really good position to make the playoffs...though it's not done deal yet. I was there, my first game in person in a while. Fun fast hard fought game, both teams had 38 shots on goal and both had 2 goals in regulation...both goalies were outstanding. Canes win in the shootout.

Huge win tonight over the Pens...puts them in really good position to make the playoffs...though it's not done deal yet. I was there, my first game in person in a while. Fun fast hard fought game, both teams had 38 shots on goal and both had 2 goals in regulation...both goalies were outstanding. Canes win in the shootout.
    Sounded like a good crowd though it wasn't full from the looks of it on TV. I tuned in for the 3rd period and the Pens seemed to dominate, outskating the Canes to use the fashionable term. Was relieved when Williams tied it up because I thought the Canes were lucky to come away with a point. But then Mrazek absolutely stone-walled the Pens in the shootout. Wait WHAT, Canes win a S/O? With Ward in goal I used to dread the SOs and OTs. So MUCH has changed about this team, it's hard to fathom. They're taking fan requests for the Storm Surge celebrations. I sent in a Titanic themed one featuring an ill-fated Zamboni collision. Probably won't fly.

Sounded like a good crowd though it wasn't full from the looks of it on TV. I tuned in for the 3rd period and the Pens seemed to dominate, outskating the Canes to use the fashionable term. Was relieved when Williams tied it up because I thought the Canes were lucky to come away with a point. But then Mrazek absolutely stone-walled the Pens in the shootout. Wait WHAT, Canes win a S/O? With Ward in goal I used to dread the SOs and OTs. So MUCH has changed about this team, it's hard to fathom. They're taking fan requests for the Storm Surge celebrations. I sent in a Titanic themed one featuring an ill-fated Zamboni collision. Probably won't fly.
    Crowd was almost half Penguin fans...those people come down here for jobs and lifestyle...and cheer against our team. Idon't like it. Total was just under15 thousand - several accidents on the Raleigh 440 in both directions probably kept a lot of fans from even getting to the game, and NCState was at home in the NIT....and it was Tuesday night. Tomorrow they'll have big crowd for the Lightning I bet.

And yeah they might avoid the death theme for the celebration...but I think a roller derby spoof would be awesome, and they're good enough skaters to pull it off without getting hurt.

Crowd was almost half Penguin fans...those people come down here for jobs and lifestyle...and cheer against our team. Idon't like it. Total was just under15 thousand - several accidents on the Raleigh 440 in both directions probably kept a lot of fans from even getting to the game, and NCState was at home in the NIT...and it was Tuesday night. Tomorrow they'll have big crowd for the Lightning I bet.

And yeah they might avoid the death theme for the celebration...but I think a roller derby spoof would be awesome, and they're good enough skaters to pull it off without getting hurt.
    Well as a transplanted Yankee myself, it's nice be able to find lamb in the grocery stores now for those times when I decide I've earned a day-off from vegetarianism. Big opportunity for the Canes tonight against Tampa Bay. They are frighteningly good, perhaps best illustrated by their goal differential 1.25. (3.85 GF/A, 2.60 GA/A). Holy McJeeburs that's impressive. Calgary is second at .77, the Canes .24. Still the Canes played two pretty good games against TB earlier this season, tied or ahead in both until things got away from them in the 3rd period and at 2.72 GA/A the Canes aren't too far off TB's average, which of the two metrics, the stat more indicative of relative strength. The hockey analog to baseball's "good pitching beats good hitting" is that good hockey teams invariably have stout defenses. The 10 teams with the lowest GA/A are all playoff bound this year, not so with the top 10 in the GF/A category. You can know little or nothing about the nuances of the game (um, nominated) take one look at a hockey match and laugh yourself stupid over the notion that your boys are going to live by the "outscore the other team" strategy for the course of a season. There's no such thing as a "Murderer's Row" in hockey. Fifty percent of goals come on deflections, redirects, ricochets, rebounds and the old hack and whack until something good happens attack. So while that 3.85 GF/A is nice and sparkly, there's reason to believe that the Canes goaltending can hold up enough for Carolina to steal a point. Get it to 3 on 3 and see what happens.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 03-21-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Well as a transplanted Yankee myself, it's nice be able to find lamb in the grocery stores now for those times when I decide I've earned a day-off from vegetarianism. Big opportunity for the Canes tonight against Tampa Bay. They are frighteningly good, perhaps best illustrated by their goal differential 1.25. (3.85 GF/A, 2.60 GA/A). Holy McJeeburs that's impressive. .
    Adam Gold of 99.9 The Fan was talking about Tampa Bay arriving in their spaceship to play the Canes...that they're simply better than any other team in hockey by a long shot at the moment. I guess they're the "Zion of hockey" at the moment. Not a fan of "the FAN" or Gold, but that was pretty funny comment.

That said, the Canes outplayed them in Tampa the last time out...until three consecutive third period penalties went against the Canes...at least one a terrible call. It was a disappointing loss as the Canes led 1-0 most of the game and ended up not even getting a single point. Tonight is a good opportunity as TB and Washington played an absurdly fast paced game last night that went into OT. Hopefully the Bolts are gassed a little, physically and mentally. Washington fired 58 shots on goal...but Tampa won 5-4 in OT. Ovechkin had the turnover that led to TB's game winner.

Adam Gold of 99.9 The Fan was talking about Tampa Bay arriving in their spaceship to play the Canes...that they're simply better than any other team in hockey by a long shot at the moment. I guess they're the "Zion of hockey" at the moment. Not a fan of "the FAN" or Gold, but that was pretty funny comment.

That said, the Canes outplayed them in Tampa the last time out...until three consecutive third period penalties went against the Canes...at least one a terrible call. It was a disappointing loss as the Canes led 1-0 most of the game and ended up not even getting a single point. Tonight is a good opportunity as TB and Washington played an absurdly fast paced game last night that went into OT. Hopefully the Bolts are gassed a little, physically and mentally. Washington fired 58 shots on goal...but Tampa won 5-4 in OT. Ovechkin had the turnover that led to TB's game winner.
    Fine time for Ovechkin to be human. The Pens game was good preparation for the Canes. Pesce's pinch leading to the 2 on 0 breakaway is the type of mistake from which the Canes of old would not have recovered. Instead they drew upon an ever-filling well of resolve and found a way to tie in regulation. TB is going to put incredible pressure on the Canes at some, perhaps many points this evening. Really interested to see how the Canes respond to better gauge where this team's confidence level is. Calling it: 3-2 Canes over a tired TB in regulation.

Calling it: 3-2 Canes over a tired TB in regulation.
    Book it Dano

Play off drought OVER.....need to win one more game, their last regular season game Saturday, to guarantee they avoid Tampa Bay in first round.

Finally! Avoiding Tampa Bay would be a good thing.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Finally! Avoiding Tampa Bay would be a good thing.
    THIS ^^^ can't be stated enough...and I'm sure the Canes are well aware. If you have to face a team like TB, better to do it in round 2 or the conference finals than the first round...if you can get that far and build that momentum. At that stage, anything can happen.

When the Canes won the Stanley Cup, they were 2nd in the east...but their toughest opponent was Buffalo, the eastern 8 seed, who they met in the Eastern Finals. The second toughest series was Edmonton, an 8th seed in the West, who they beat in the Finals...meanwhile, the first Cane's Finals came as a 7 or 8 seed...can't remember.

The NHL is the one pro league where literally anyone who makes the playoffs...can realistically win it.

Columbus, currently behind the 'Canes by a point in the standings, up 3-0 in 1st period. 'Canes up 3-1 in period 1, too. If the 'Canes win, they avoid TB, I think.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Columbus, currently behind the 'Canes by a point in the standings, up 3-0 in 1st period. 'Canes up 3-1 in period 1, too. If the 'Canes win, they avoid TB, I think.
    Currently watching this, as I'm pretty sure it's the only decent sporting event happening right now.

Beat Boston and tied the record. Today was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Beat Boston and tied the record. Today was a good day.
    And, as a bonus, your Lightning avoided the second hottest team in the league in the opening round!

It Starts Tonight

Canes at the Capitals.....

Last night, the Lightning rushed out to a 2-0 lead on the Jackets, supposedly en route to their four game sweep. Oops...Blue Jackets come back and win in Tampa 4-3.
    Could be encouraging to the Canes...the NHL is the one playoff where everybody who's in it can win it...

Canes at the Capitals...

Last night, the Lightning rushed out to a 2-0 lead on the Jackets, supposedly en route to their four game sweep. Oops...Blue Jackets come back and win in Tampa 4-3.
    Could be encouraging to the Canes...the NHL is the one playoff where everybody who's in it can win it...
    Playoff hockey in Raleigh again, good times. I wore my Duke colors proudly while pursuing an MSPH in that fetid and festering sewer* known as the Dump on the Hump but I'm not sure I will be so bold when I take in game 2 at the Capital One center on Saturday. Washington is not exactly the industrial Northeast but hockey culture is still a bit foreign to this transplanted Yankee.

For a lack of a better term, I call it the "geometry" of the game and why your statement rings so true. Fifty percent of all goals are scored on redirections, rebounds, ricochets...luck plays no larger role in any other sport. You commonly see pucks bounce off the backs of goalies into the net for crying out loud, in sort of hockey's analog to Tyler Zeller's signature move.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 04-11-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: * Still my favorite utterance by Charles Emerson Winchester III