Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Any Carolina Hurricane Caniacs around here?

I live on the coast now, but for years I was a Canes season tix holder when I lived in Raleigh. In the 2005-06 Stanley Cup year, we were season ticket holders and neighbors of head coach Peter Lavoilette and family, a family we carpooled with for little league hockey and baseball. That was magic. When full, the RBC center is an amazing hockey environment.

I've not been excited about the Canes since about 2009...til the day they hired Rod Brind A'Mour as coach a few months ago. I think he's going to be a great coach for a long time. It's early, but the Canes are off to the best start in franchise history, and are playing a fast, aggressive exciting brand of hockey.

I follow the Hurricanes, and think this year's edition , is more agile, and faster overall than last year's edition. Plus they know how to score. Along with the leadership of captain Williams, this can be a great year! Goal keeping has been good too, with Darling hurt, Curtis McElhinney has been a pleasant surprise. Sebastian Aho is just a blur when he gets going, and Justin Faulk and Jordan Staal add toughness. Barring injury, this can be a special season for the team. Seven of a possible eight points is a great start! Just keep it going!
    Last edited by Devilwin; 10-08-2018 at 07:44 AM.

When do we have ice hockey in high schools??....isn’t that the basic training ground for future athletes?

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    When do we have ice hockey in high schools??...isn’t that the basic training ground for future athletes?
    Well the USA is not the most fertile training ground for hockey anyway. In countries where it is big, there are leagues from toddler on up through high school age, but often not tied to schools.

3-0-1 -- or in hockey vernacular, 7 of a possible 8 points. Great start. Exciting, fast high scoring hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well the USA is not the most fertile training ground for hockey anyway. In countries where it is big, there are leagues from toddler on up through high school age, but often not tied to schools.
    High school hockey is not big in Canada, since the best players are playing in other leagues. But it is pretty big in northern states like Minnesota and Wisconsin, where many of the best players do play high school hockey (indeed, Sidney Crosby played a year of high school hockey in Minnesota.) I'm not sure North Carolina has the critical mass for it to be a high school sport - but there's plenty of player development available outside the high school context. There's an increasing number of NHL players from states without high school hockey, like Auston Matthews.

Amazing game in Minnesota

Total domination by the Canes, outshooting the Wild 57-23....that's unheard of....but they couldn't get a break. Down 4-3 in the final minute, they tie the game after pulling their goalie, and then win in overtime 5-4. It should've been about 6-1 in regulation, but we'll take it. BEST RECORD in the NHL so far this young season. Best start in franchise history.

Great game! Williams' shot had a horrible angle but he nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Great game! Williams' shot had a horrible angle but he nailed it!
    I was so frustrated watching it...the Canes were clearly superior...and couldn't catch a break. As I learned when we first became Canes tix holders, hockey is the most mentally demanding game. It's the sport where the team who is the better team - in a given game - often loses...a bounce of the puck here, a hot goalie or a struggling goalie there...all can lead to the better team losing.

The team that dominates the play can lose in football, and perhaps even sometimes in hoops, but sports like hockey and soccer, it happens routinely. Especially hockey.

I actually was tied up with a social function for the third period last night, after watching most of the first two...and I saw on the ESPN app that the Wild led 4-3 with a little over a minute left...Bummer...Then a few minutes later I saw 4-4 in overtime and I thought man, a great way to salvage a point. Then winning in OT was of course even sweeter.

Early yet, but this team might be special. Fast, high scoring, never quit.

Great win yesterday, no doubt.

But they have to get better play in the goal. Maybe a healthy Darling will be the answer. He was fat and out of shape last season but reported in much better shape this year, only to injure a hamstring.

But you can only go so far winning games by scores like 8-5 and 5-4. Sooner or later, you have to be able to win games 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Great win yesterday, no doubt.

But they have to get better play in the goal. Maybe a healthy Darling will be the answer. He was fat and out of shape last season but reported in much better shape this year, only to injure a hamstring.

But you can only go so far winning games by scores like 8-5 and 5-4. Sooner or later, you have to be able to win games 2-1.
    There is no doubt about that...and on the day Darling was injured, we would've all jumped at the idea of 4-0-1 start.

In their 5 games, they've had pretty good goalie performance maybe twice. Two out of five will not work long term for sure. But what is exciting to me is they have room to improve in goal, and on cutting down mistakes in the defensive zone, and they are due some luck with regard to hitting the pipes with shots....and they're still 4-0-1.

I believe Darling will have a good season when he comes back.

want to visit the game against Toronto, need two tickets nearby. Maybe somebody has season tickets or just advise place where i could check available seats at this moment
    Thank you

Missed this discussion. Handle gives away my interest here.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Missed this discussion. Handle gives away my interest here.
    I just KNEW it was a mistake to trade Skinner....shoulda had a fresh start under Roddy and played for his next contract...there's no guarantee he'd be having a 50 goal pace for the Canes had he stayed, but man, he's outscoring our whole team almost...for the Sabres...

They appear to be in full treading-water-mode right now. Win a game, lose a game, an overtime loss, rinse and repeat.

They do not look like a playoff team right now and it's been a long drought.

I guess I'm not a caniac but I have found my way to a couple of games the last few years. I know very little about hockey and have never touched a stick, but I find it more exciting than just about any other spectator sport one could watch. I wish I had gone back when they were actually good. The games I've been to routinely end up with the visiting team equalling or outnumbering the home team fan presence. Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    When do we have ice hockey in high schools??...isn’t that the basic training ground for future athletes?
    ou, it would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
    want to visit the game against Toronto, need two tickets nearby. Maybe somebody has season tickets or just advise place where i could check available seats at this moment
    Thank you

it is late to advise you but next time you could try through Seatleafs. they don`t sell tickets but show a comparison of prices from different marketplaces.

little lifehack - try to go through this site to TicketNetwork through them, and then close the tab, sometimes they offer a discount to keep visitors

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I guess I'm not a caniac but I have found my way to a couple of games the last few years. I know very little about hockey and have never touched a stick, but I find it more exciting than just about any other spectator sport one could watch. I wish I had gone back when they were actually good. The games I've been to routinely end up with the visiting team equalling or outnumbering the home team fan presence. Frustrating.
    I was there when they were good...season tix holders and then in 06 neighbor of the head coach, we carpooled with them for little league hockey and baseball...so that was really exciting when they won.

And the arena then, for playoffs? Amazing atmosphere. Astounding really. So much fun...

This is a general hockey question:

Why do American broadcasters pronounce "Candadiens" in Montreal Canadiens so wierd? As best I can tell, Canadian media does not do this. Where did this come from? Is there a story there?

Expected pronunciation: Canadi-ehns with no stress on the last syllable (similar sound to "end" or the last syllable of Jonathan"

Common pronunciation (at least by Hurricanes related media people): Canadi-ANS with the last syllable heavily stressed and pronounced with the same sound you get in the word "and" or "ants".