Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    For a lack of a better term, I call it the "geometry" of the game and why your statement rings so true. Fifty percent of all goals are scored on redirections, rebounds, ricochets...luck plays no larger role in any other sport. You commonly see pucks bounce off the backs of goalies into the net for crying out loud, in sort of hockey's analog to Tyler Zeller's signature move.
    San Jose's Joe Pavelski scored a goal off his face last night. That's probably not the kind of ricochet he was hoping for.

Then again, it was a goal in the Stanley Cup and hockey players are pretty tough. So, I suspect he'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    San Jose's Joe Pavelski scored a goal off his face last night. That's probably not the kind of ricochet he was hoping for.

Then again, it was a goal in the Stanley Cup and hockey players are pretty tough. So, I suspect he'll take it.
    Well that's a painful way to score....but at least a score. Poor Jordan Staal of the Canes took one off the face last week...and it just caromed out of bounds...OUCH.

But yeah, hockey is all about the strange bounces of the puck, hot goalies, cold goalies, hit the post and out, or hit the post and in...strange bounces off the wall behind the goals...and other oddities. It's a sport where somewhat often the team that plays the best does not win the game.

Here we are: time to bring home the Cup.

Cough. Hack.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Cough. Hack.
    Wasn't an altogether bad opening...lot of players on the Canes new to the playoffs....awful start by their goaltender, and they fought back in it. This team has had to win about 4 out of every 5 for three months...now all they have to do is win 4 of 7....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Wasn't an altogether bad opening...lot of players on the Canes new to the playoffs...awful start by their goaltender, and they fought back in it. This team has had to win about 4 out of every 5 for three months...now all they have to do is win 4 of 7...
    Yea, not really too bad. I caught the tail-end of their unproductive power play with about 3 minutes left, then a turnover while on attack with about 30 seconds to go and the Caps empty net goal. Washington had their number this year with the 'Canes only coming up with 1 point out of 4 games.

Yea, not really too bad. I caught the tail-end of their unproductive power play with about 3 minutes left, then a turnover while on attack with about 30 seconds to go and the Caps empty net goal. Washington had their number this year with the 'Canes only coming up with 1 point out of 4 games.
    The Canes dominted the action a lot...the problem with their goalie is that he didn't get enough action...game was like 10 minutes in before the Caps had their first shot on goal. Of course, the second SOG went in....Caps coach alluded to them being a little lucky in his post game.

The year the Canes won the cup, they lost their first two, in the first round, at home...to the 7th seed...and came back and won. So I'm still hopeful. Regression to the mean should help the Canes here...

I think the 'Canes got this one tonight as they're up 5-0 somewhat late in the 3rd.

I think the 'Canes got this one tonight as they're up 5-0 somewhat late in the 3rd.
    They totally kicked the Capitals' asses....very rare to see such domination in a playoff game. TV annoucners could not stop talking about the rowdy crowd. I'm thinking, you ain't heard nothing yet. Wait til Thursday night.

They totally kicked the Capitals' asses...very rare to see such domination in a playoff game. TV annoucners could not stop talking about the rowdy crowd. I'm thinking, you ain't heard nothing yet. Wait til Thursday night.
    I'll do my best. Interesting playoffs. Blue Jackets and Islanders ready to deliver knockout blows. Ovechkin, um, check.

I'll do my best. Interesting playoffs. Blue Jackets and Islanders ready to deliver knockout blows. Ovechkin, um, check.
    The noise last night was measured at 112 decibels...very loud...but nothing compared to playoffs 2006...hit 134 a couple times. That's ear ringing for days kind of noise. I know, mine did ring for days.

The noise last night was measured at 112 decibels...very loud...but nothing compared to playoffs 2006...hit 134 a couple times. That's ear ringing for days kind of noise. I know, mine did ring for days.
    134 is getting into The Who concert territory. My first hockey game was Game 2 of the Montreal series that year, the 6-5 2-OT opening round loss when Cam replaced Gerber. Not sure if that was the game it got to 134 but when Stillman scored to tie with about a minute left to send it to the first OT I can distinctly recall putting my fingers in my ears. Helluva series. Call me a jerk for saying so but Canes hockey is fun.

134 is getting into The Who concert territory. My first hockey game was Game 2 of the Montreal series that year, the 6-5 2-OT opening round loss when Cam replaced Gerber. Not sure if that was the game it got to 134 but when Stillman scored to tie with about a minute left to send it to the first OT I can distinctly recall putting my fingers in my ears. Helluva series. Call me a jerk for saying so but Canes hockey is fun.
    Hmm, that likely explains why I had trouble hearing for the month of December after I saw them at the Landover Center for their second stop (IIRC) of their Quadrophenia tour in the US several decades ago .

Someone had a decibel meter on the floor at CIS several years ago when I went to a Duke-cheats game with Ozzie and I *think* I saw a photo here with 126 on the screen.

We're a day away from Game 4 and many experts see this one as playing to script--the Caps in 5. The Canes will be down 2 of their top 6 on offense and no one would fault the Caps for feeling pretty confident about the outcome of the series. Coming into game 3 the Caps were gambling with house money and they played like it, despite the impressive performance from their division rivals. 13 SOG? Be serious, the Caps took this game off. All they really need to do is split the two games in Raleigh and if they don't so what? They still have home ice advantage. House money. Game 3 did little to put a dent in their confidence. Game 3 was almost predictable, the Caps think they can turn it on at will.

The Caps will respond tomorrow night. They will throw everything they possibly can at Mrazek in hopes of taking the crowd out of it early. Game 4 and in all likelihood, the series, will be determined in the first 5 to 9 minutes of Period 1. The Canes have to be ready for a team with a completely different personality than they saw in Game 3. Set the tone for those 9 minutes, finish the 1st period no less than tied and I think this series will begin to truly turn on the Caps and shake their confidence. It hasn't yet, despite the crowd. "Start on time" as they say, set the tone, forecheck, forecheck, forecheck, get the crowd amped up to 11 and prove to the Caps that every minute of this series will be an exhaustive grind.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 04-17-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Swept??

I did a little bit of trash talking on behalf of my Lightning, so I'm back to eat some crow.

Played the regular season like a lion and exited the playoffs like a lamb.

The most infuriating part is that over the season they managed to coax me into watching more than my fair share of hockey and then just disappeared when I got a bit emotionally invested.

I guess I'll cheer for Carolina with you good folks.

Coming into game 3 the Caps were gambling with house money and they played like it, despite the impressive performance from their division rivals. 13 SOG? Be serious, the Caps took this game off. All they really need to do is split the two games in Raleigh and if they don't so what? They still have home ice advantage. House money. Game 3 did little to put a dent in their confidence. Game 3 was almost predictable, the Caps think they can turn it on at will.

The Caps will respond tomorrow night. They will throw everything they possibly can at Mrazek in hopes of taking the crowd out of it early. Game 4 and in all likelihood, the series, will be determined in the first 5 to 9 minutes of Period 1. The Canes have to be ready for a team with a completely different personality than they saw in Game 3. Set the tone for those 9 minutes, finish the 1st period no less than tied and I think this series will begin to truly turn on the Caps and shake their confidence. It hasn't yet, despite the crowd. "Start on time" as they say, set the tone, forecheck, forecheck, forecheck, get the crowd amped up to 11 and prove to the Caps that every minute of this series will be an exhaustive grind.
    FWIW: None of this in red has escaped Rod Brind'Amour...as he said almost as much in his comments. I think you and he are right.

That said, I think you over stated the points in blue. The Caps took the game off after it became 3-0...maybe you can make a case for 2-0...but they had the first good scoring chance, and clearly the fight indicates that Ovechkin was not taking the night off...not at that point. And give the Canes and the crowd credit...the Canes were freaking flying...and the crowd was not only loud, but angry. The Canes would've been tough to beat by anyone on this night. I'll buy that the 5 goal margin was due to the Cap's mailing it in late...and that they are not panicked by losing this one...but they weren't as non-chalant as you say until they were down.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    I did a little bit of trash talking on behalf of my Lightning, so I'm back to eat some crow.

Played the regular season like a lion and exited the playoffs like a lamb.

The most infuriating part is that over the season they managed to coax me into watching more than my fair share of hockey and then just disappeared when I got a bit emotionally invested.

I guess I'll cheer for Carolina with you good folks.
    One of the more shocking sporting results I've ever seen. When you factor in that TB had a 3-0 lead in Game One...then it ended up a rout in four for Columbus, maybe THE most shocking.

Of note, when the Canes got to the Stanley Cup Finals in 02, they were I think an 8th seed. Maybe 7th. When they won the Cup in 06, they were a second seed, but had to play 8th seeded Buffalo in the conference finals and then 8th seeded Edmonton in the Cup Finals. Seedings mean less in the NHL than in any other sport by far.

Still, the Lightning was so good all year...SMH...and beaten by their Stanley Cup Coach of 04 I believe...

We welcome your support of the Canes. It's fun. When the arena gets rocking, its maybe the toughest in the league. Brooks Orpik, been in the league 16 years or so with multiple teams...said Carolina and San Jose have the two hardest places to play when full. The NBC announcers agree with this. They couldn't stop talking about the crowd Monday night, and that crowd was not even close to the latter rounds in 06.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 04-18-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Well that was a decent start.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well that was a decent start.
    Wow! Carolina has seized momentum in a big way. Let's see if they can build on it. Love the way they're controlling neutral ice at the moment.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 04-18-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Looks like the Caps are nonchalantin' themselves into another win.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!