Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Shank?

If this is the match I'm remembering, the WF golfer hooked or tugged her fairway metal into the water, left. It was not a shank.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    If this is the match I'm remembering, the WF golfer hooked or tugged her fairway metal into the water, left. It was not a shank.
    I believe you are correct. It was a shot from behind the tree in the center of the fairway and she was attempting to slice a ball around the tree to hit the green. The shot was pulled left into the water.

It is the match that preceded that one. Kupcho was the #1 ranked amateur and Boochant played her even for 18, and eventually beat her.
    But, I mis-remembered. Kupcho/Boochant was the penultimate match.
    Duke needed to win 2 of the last 3 matches. Carta lost hers, Boochant winning was a bit of a surprise, Miranda Wang defeated Letizia Bagnoli to seal it.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I believe you are correct. It was a shot from behind the tree in the center of the fairway and she was attempting to slice a ball around the tree to hit the green. The shot was pulled left into the water.
    Isn't this a "double cross?" Try to hit a fade but the club head comes through too quickly, and the shot is pulled left.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Isn't this a "double cross?" Try to hit a fade but the club head comes through too quickly, and the shot is pulled left.
    My recollection (questionable at this point) is that the bad shot was set up by a big tree and bad placement. There was a big tree in the middle of the fairway; Miranda hit her first shot long and to the right of the tree, with a clear lie to the green. Bagnoli hit her shot a bit short and just left of the tree, with the green occluded. It was a tough lie to get to the green.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    My recollection (questionable at this point) is that the bad shot was set up by a big tree and bad placement. There was a big tree in the middle of the fairway; Miranda hit her first shot long and to the right of the tree, with a clear lie to the green. Bagnoli hit her shot a bit short and just left of the tree, with the green occluded. It was a tough lie to get to the green.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    With the benefit of hindsight, I think she should have taken out a long iron out and try to hit a low fade around the tree and get the ball somewhere down the fairway where she would have had a straightforward wedge shot to the green. IMHO, this is an easier shot to hit with an iron than with a fairway wood. Although Miranda had a clear path to the green, it was a long shot on the par 5 and that was a particularly hard green to hit from that distance, so a birdie was by no means guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    This morning on the LPGA, Virginia Elena Carta will use her Exemption that she was awarded (at the National Championship) to play at the LPGA event in southern New Jersey. Her caddy will be Gina Kim. Virginia will be playing as an amateur.

Virgina will be teeing off with several interesting group mates.
    Letitia Beck, who is an ex-Dukie (if there is such a thing), and Jennifer Kupcho.
    Jennifer Kupcho from Wake Forest, if you recall, had that riveting final round against Duke's Jaravee Boonchant where she shanked her first shot in extra play (bonus golf) on the hole that eventually won the natty for the Blue Devils 3 weeks ago. Poor girl will be surrounded by 3 blue devils today! If she had nightmares after that day, this isn't going to help.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Virginia Elena Carta did really well, finishing the first round at -2, currently at T23, but ahead of her playing partners,Ttiger's niece Cheyenne Woods (+3) and Jennifer Kupcho (-1).

Yu Liu at -5 is T5 and leads the Duke contingent. Brittany Lang is at even par, and Laetitia Beck is at +1 after the morning round.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Virginia Elena Carta did really well, finishing the first round at -2, currently at T23, but ahead of her playing partners,Ttiger's niece Cheyenne Woods (+3) and Jennifer Kupcho (-1).

Yu Liu at -5 is T5 and leads the Duke contingent. Brittany Lang is at even par, and Laetitia Beck is at +1 after the morning round.
    Virginia could not follow up on her strong first round. She shot 77 today and missed the cut at +3, the same score as fellow Dukie Brittany Lang. Yu Liu leads our contingent at T5, overcoming a bogey, double-bogey start to post five birdies and a 69. Lindy Duncan made the cut at -1.

In the RBC Canadian Open on the PGA Tour, Wes Roach, the only Duke alum in the field, is T25 with a minus-one 69 today.
    Sage Grouse

Virginia could not follow up on her strong first round. She shot 77 today and missed the cut at +3, the same score as fellow Dukie Brittany Lang. Yu Liu leads our contingent at T5, overcoming a bogey, double-bogey start to post five birdies and a 69. Lindy Duncan made the cut at -1.

In the RBC Canadian Open on the PGA Tour, Wes Roach, the only Duke alum in the field, is T25 with a minus-one 69 today.
    Also, Mina Harigae is an ex-Dukie; she’s at -5 and tied for 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Also, Mina Harigae is an ex-Dukie; she’s at -5 and tied for 15th.
    Wes Roach shoots a 66 on his final round and ties for 11 -- best tournament of the year.

Yu Liu is T5 at the LPGA Shop-Rite tournament near Atlantic City. Mina Harigae is T11. Lindy Duncan finishes at even par and T43.
    Sage Grouse

One Dukie in the US Open Field

Nope, it's not Streels or Ryan or Adam or Wes (or even Julian Suri from the European tour). It's current Duke team member Chandler Eaton, who earned a spot through the qualifying tournament and is one of 16 amateurs in the field:

BALL GROUND, Ga. – Duke junior men's golfer Chandler Eaton has earned a spot in the 2019 U.S. Open, thanks to his top-four finish at the U.S Open Sectional Qualifier on Monday at the Hawks Ridge Golf Club outside of Atlanta.
    Chandler is at +1 as play begins on Friday and T58, right on the number for the cut. Here's his background at Duke:

A two-time All-American and two-time All-ACC selection, Eaton qualified for both the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Junior Amateur in 2016. In 12 tournaments for Duke during the 2018-19 season, Eaton compiled a 70.71 stroke average with one victory, three top-5s and six top-10s. His victory came at the Nike Collegiate Invitational at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas, and he was Duke’s leading finisher at the NCAA Championship with a t-15th for the second consecutive season.
    Qualifying for the US Open, as you might expect is a really big deal for anyone -- especially an amateur:

The 36-hole qualifier was contested Monday [June 3] with Eaton carding a two-round total of nine-under par 135 including a bogey-free, six-under 66 in the second round. The rising senior and two-time All-American finished tied for third with PGA Tour pro Roberto Castro. Another tour pro, Ollie Schniederjans, tied for low medalist honors with amateur Noah Norton at 11-under par 133.

There are 12 sectional qualifiers worldwide with 927 golfers teeing it up for just 75 spots – one of which now belongs to Eaton. The 2019 U.S. Open is set for Pebble Beach Golf Links in Pebble Beach, Calif., June 10-16.
    Sixty-seven players and four qualifying spots -- wow!
    Sage Grouse

Nope, it's not Streels or Ryan or Adam or Wes (or even Julian Suri from the European tour). It's current Duke team member Chandler Eaton, who earned a spot through the qualifying tournament and is one of 16 amateurs in the field:

Chandler is at +1 as play begins on Friday and T58, right on the number for the cut. Here's his background at Duke:

Qualifying for the US Open, as you might expect is a really big deal for anyone -- especially an amateur:

Sixty-seven players and four qualifying spots -- wow!
    Thanks for finding this. I thought we were shutout this year.

Chandler Eaton Will Make the Cut as the US Open!

Chandler shot a -1 round of 70 today and is T-37 as play continues in the US Open at Pebble Beach. He is at even par for the tournament and will play this weekend.

Eaton is tied for low amateur with Victor Hovland, the reigning US Amateur champ -- both have finished their rounds. Brandon Wu is also at even par but hasn't started his round.
    Sage Grouse

Kevin Streelman shot 67 and 67 on Thursday and Friday at the Traveler's Championship. He is currently tied for 11th at -6. Streelman is playing good golf recently* so hopefully he makes some noise this weekend. He won this tournament in 2014.

* Amanda Balionis interviewed Streelman after his 4th place finish at the Memorial and he said he has returned to his old swing coach who he worked with since he was a teenager. Kevin commented that he was simplifying things because it is easy to get too much going on in your mind [paraphrasing].
    Last edited by Bob Green; 06-21-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kevin Streelman shot 67 and 67 on Thursday and Friday at the Traveler's Championship. He is currently tied for 11th at -6. Streelman is playing good golf recently* so hopefully he makes some noise this weekend. He won this tournament in 2014.

* Amanda Balionis interviewed Streelman after his 4th place finish at the Memorial and he said he has returned to his old swing coach who he worked with since he was a teenager. Kevin commented that he was simplifying things because it is easy to get too much going on in your mind [paraphrasing].
    Coincidentally, Adam Long and Ryan Blaum are also currently 6 under and tied with Streelman. Good tournament so far for all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Coincidentally, Adam Long and Ryan Blaum are also currently 6 under and tied with Streelman. Good tournament so far for all 3.
    Let's also note that nine years ago tomorrow, Streels won the Traveler's on this same course, TPC River Highlands in Cromwell CT, by making birdies on the last seven holes. Only time that's been done in all of PGA history.

By the way, the previous record, six birdies in a row at the end of a tournament, was set by Duke's Mike Souchak in 1956, who beat Sam Snead by one shot in St. Paul. Souchak won 15 times on the PGA tour.
    Sage Grouse

... set by Duke's Mike Souchak in 1956, who beat Sam Snead by one shot in St. Paul. Souchak won 15 times on the PGA tour.
    Any relation?

souchak.jpg

Today's tee times:

12:45 p.m. – Louis Oosthuizen, Ryan Blaum
    12:55 p.m. – Kevin Kisner, Kevin Streelman
    1:05 p.m. – Adam Long, Andrew Putnam

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/06/22...rings-round-3/
    Bob Green

Adam starts birdie birdie birdie to get to one off the lead. He's virtually invisible to the broadcast

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Adam starts birdie birdie birdie to get to one off the lead. He's virtually invisible to the broadcast
    That’s an understatement, he’s one back in 2nd place and they refuse to show him. And Tiger’s not playing, so thats not the reason.