Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO

    Dukies on the 2019 PGA/LPGA Tour

    Suddenly, it's 2019! The PGA Tour reloads after the FedEx Cup, starting the 2019 season on October 1. The Safeway Open in Napa, CA features three Dukie PGA Tour members. Kevin Streelman finishes the first round with three straight birdies and a -4 68, tied for 22nd. Ryan Blaum and newly minted tour player Wes Roach shoot -1 scores of 71 and will need to rally to make the cut.

    In other news, Phil Mickelson, panned far and wide for his Ryder Cup performance, shoots a -7 score of 65, good for third place. Oldster Fred Couples (much younger than Ol' Sage) is at +1.

    The 2019 LPGA Tour does not begin until January.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Suddenly, it's 2019! The PGA Tour reloads after the FedEx Cup, starting the 2019 season on October 1. The Safeway Open in Napa, CA features three Dukie PGA Tour members. Kevin Streelman finishes the first round with three straight birdies and a -4 68, tied for 22nd. Ryan Blaum and newly minted tour player Wes Roach shoot -1 scores of 71 and will need to rally to make the cut.

    In other news, Phil Mickelson, panned far and wide for his Ryder Cup performance, shoots a -7 score of 65, good for third place. Oldster Fred Couples (much younger than Ol' Sage) is at +1.

    The 2019 LPGA Tour does not begin until January.
    Freddie has been one of my favorites on the pro tour for years. Had it not been for a balky back, he would be up there with the biggest names in golf. GoDuke and Go Freddie Couples or "Boom Boom" as he was once called on the tour.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Suddenly, it's 2019! The PGA Tour reloads after the FedEx Cup, starting the 2019 season on October 1. The Safeway Open in Napa, CA features three Dukie PGA Tour members. Kevin Streelman finishes the first round with three straight birdies and a -4 68, tied for 22nd. Ryan Blaum and newly minted tour player Wes Roach shoot -1 scores of 71 and will need to rally to make the cut.

    In other news, Phil Mickelson, panned far and wide for his Ryder Cup performance, shoots a -7 score of 65, good for third place. Oldster Fred Couples (much younger than Ol' Sage) is at +1.

    The 2019 LPGA Tour does not begin until January.
    Actually, thereís a 4th Dukie that has his card - Adam Long. And Long is tied for 4th. I wasnít aware until last week that he qualified off of his web.com results this year. Great start for Adam and donít recall a year with 4 former Duke golfers on the PGA tour.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Actually, thereís a 4th Dukie that has his card - Adam Long. And Long is tied for 4th. I wasnít aware until last week that he qualified off of his web.com results this year. Great start for Adam and donít recall a year with 4 former Duke golfers on the PGA tour.
    Thanks. Now we have four to follow. I had forgotten about Adam, and he had a terrific performance yesterday.

    In addition, Julian Suri continues on the European Tour. He is #70 in the Official World Golf Rankings, the only Dukie in the top 100 (Kevin is #149).
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Thanks. Now we have four to follow. I had forgotten about Adam, and he had a terrific performance yesterday.

    In addition, Julian Suri continues on the European Tour. He is #70 in the Official World Golf Rankings, the only Dukie in the top 100 (Kevin is #149).
    I've been wondering about Suri. Do you see him trying to qualify for his PGA card? Or maybe he auto qualifies if he has a great year on the European Tour?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I've been wondering about Suri. Do you see him trying to qualify for his PGA card? Or maybe he auto qualifies if he has a great year on the European Tour?
    Yes, it appears he would like to play on the PGA Tour because he competed in the Web.com Tour Championship (tied for 21st), which is a route to a PGA card. "Top 50 in the world" seems to be a magic bullet and enables a European player to play a number of tournaments in the US. Make enough money in these events, qualify for the FedEx Cup playoffs, and you receive your tour card. Win any single PGA event and you win a tour card.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Kevin Streelman is -8 through 36 holes and currently tied for 7th Place headed to the weekend.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Kevin Streelman shot even par on Saturday and is currently T15 at -8. A Top 10 finish is in reach with a solid Sunday outing.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kevin Streelman shot even par on Saturday and is currently T15 at -8. A Top 10 finish is in reach with a solid Sunday outing.
    Not a solid Sunday. 2-over and he finished T25. Still, not a bad start to his 2019 season.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not a solid Sunday. 2-over and he finished T25. Still, not a bad start to his 2019 season.
    Streels was five-over on the front, three-under on the back nine. Hmmmm...

    Ryan Blaum finished T33, while fast-starting Adam Long faded to T63. Wes Roach missed the cut by one shot.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not a solid Sunday. 2-over and he finished T25. Still, not a bad start to his 2019 season.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Streels was five-over on the front, three-under on the back nine.
    Streelman finished -7. He shot +1 73 on Sunday. He was five over on the front, four-under on the back.

    https://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Ryan Blaum is in the hunt at the RSM Classic in Sea Island, Georgia. He is tied for 5th at -8, six shots behind the leader, Charles Howell III.

    Streelman and Roach missed the cut. Kevin is having a rough stretch the past few weeks, near the back of the pack at +7.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ryan Blaum ... is tied for 5th at -8, six shots behind the leader, Charles Howell III. ...
    Ahh, Chip Trip.

    I believe his long-lost uncle was Thurston III

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ryan Blaum is in the hunt at the RSM Classic in Sea Island, Georgia. He is tied for 5th at -8, six shots behind the leader, Charles Howell III.

    Streelman and Roach missed the cut. Kevin is having a rough stretch the past few weeks, near the back of the pack at +7.
    Also, Adam Long was in the field but did not make the cut (+5).
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ryan Blaum is in the hunt at the RSM Classic in Sea Island, Georgia. He is tied for 5th at -8, six shots behind the leader, Charles Howell III.

    Streelman and Roach missed the cut. Kevin is having a rough stretch the past few weeks, near the back of the pack at +7.
    Blaum finished tied for 4th today, only 2 back. Got to be his best finish on PGA tour.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Blaum finished tied for 4th today, only 2 back. Got to be his best finish on PGA tour.
    In 2017, his first year with a full PGa card, he had 2 Top 10 finishes -- a 6th and a 7th. This year (2018 season) he also had a pair of T10s, 10th at the Sony Open and 6th at the Byron Nelson. So, you are correct that 4th is his best finish in his career.

    Last year (2018) he made 14 cuts out of 28 events. Thus far this season he has made 4 cuts in 5 events. He's already made more than $375k this season. He made a touch under $1 mil last season. So, it sure looks like he is on his way to a breakout campaign and he hopefully won't have to sweat keeping his card.

    -Jason "congrats to Ryan... he spent almost a decade trying to make the big time and now he looks like he really belongs" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Kevin Streelman is headed to the weekend at the Desert Classic. After two rounds, he is T23 (-8) shooting a 70 on Thursday followed by a 66 today.

    Phil Mickelson is in the lead at -16.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kevin Streelman is headed to the weekend at the Desert Classic. After two rounds, he is T23 (-8) shooting a 70 on Thursday followed by a 66 today.

    Phil Mickelson is in the lead at -16.
    Adam Long is at -9 through 16 today (E for the day) and will also make the cut (T17th). Wes Roach and Ryan Blaum are tied for 75th at -5. No joy there.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kevin Streelman is headed to the weekend at the Desert Classic. After two rounds, he is T23 (-8) shooting a 70 on Thursday followed by a 66 today.

    Phil Mickelson is in the lead at -16.
    Thanks, for the update, Bob. Because the Desert Classic is played on three courses, I suspect everyone plays three rounds before the cut for the Sunday round. Wes Roach and Ryan Blaum are at -5, in 75th place, and have some work to do. Ryan has three holes left in his second round.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Thanks, for the update, Bob. Because the Desert Classic is played on three courses, I suspect everyone plays three rounds before the cut for the Sunday round. Wes Roach and Ryan Blaum are at -5, in 75th place, and have some work to do. Ryan has three holes left in his second round.
    Yes, no cut after 2 rounds. Incidentally, believe this was the last official PGA win for Arnie. I recall watching him beat Fat Jack from a sofa at Duke in 1972 or 1973😀

Similar Threads

  1. Dukies on the PGA/LPGA Tour
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 09-23-2018, 07:01 PM
  2. ANA - LPGA Penalty on Lexi Thompson
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 03:13 PM
  3. Dukies on 2017 PGA Tour
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-14-2016, 08:26 PM
  4. LPGA & Amanda
    By wandalee in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM
  5. New LPGA Champion Sun Young Yoo basketball fan
    By heyman25 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •