Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Okafor's going to get a decent contract this off season.
    I will offer 20-1 on this. Name your amount (pies, cash, anything). Jahlil Okafor will not be getting lucrative NBA contract offers this summer, I guarantee it.

-Jason "now, the 2020 offseason, I think he could do quite well then" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I will offer 20-1 on this. Name your amount (pies, cash, anything). Jahlil Okafor will not be getting lucrative NBA contract offers this summer, I guarantee it.

I was musing, Jason, that if New Orleans wants to keep Jah around, the Pelicans would offer him a "semi-lucrative" longer term contract to replace the current deal -- much more than the NBA minimum but less than he would receive as an unrestricted free agent. Jah gets "early money," hedging against risk, and NO gets a player under contract at an affordable price.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm not doing a bet when there's a team option for 1.7 million on the table. I misspoke, what I meant was Jah will get a decent contract when he's a free agent. I think he will for sure earn more money over the rest of his NBA career than Jabari Parker. I would do a bet on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I was musing, Jason, that if New Orleans wants to keep Jah around, the Pelicans would offer him a "semi-lucrative" longer term contract to replace the current deal -- much more than the NBA minimum but less than he would receive as an unrestricted free agent. Jah gets "early money," hedging against risk, and NO gets a player under contract at an affordable price.
    That is possible, I suppose. The Pelicans have some real issues moving forward cause Davis is only under contract for one more year. They need to see if they can build around him, something they have been phenomenally unsuccessful at doing thus far. I am guessing he wants out as he has given them 7 years already and they rarely even sniff the playoffs. He's about to enter his prime and probably wants to start playing for rings.

If the Pelicans deal Davis in the off-season (Danny Ainge is waving his arms furiously hoping to get their attention) they might decide to bet on Jah. But, if they hold onto Davis, then Jah's usefulness is limited and I doubt the team wold use cap space to tie up a guy who is going to play maybe 15 minutes a game for them... unless they decide Jah and Brow can play together, which I am skeptical about.

Personally, I think the Pelicans should deal Davis now. Why wait until the summer and have him help you play your way toward the end of the lottery rather than taking the tank down as low as you can go? See if Boston will give you 3 or 4 future picks as well as Tatum (they won't) then settle for Jaylen Brown instead. Here is the deal that should get made TODAY!

Celtics get The Brow as well as Frank Jackson. Pelicans get Scary Terry, Smart, Brown, and cap filler Aron Baynes plus the Pelicans also get the Sacramento pick in the 2019 Draft and perhaps the Clipper pick that the Celtics own. Celtics hold onto the Memphis pick they own that gets more valuable every year (it won't convey this year unless it is outside the top 8, it won't convey next year if it is outside the top 6 it is unprotected in 2021 and Memphis suuuuuucks).

-Jason "I want the Brow on the Celtics like yesterday!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That is possible, I suppose. The Pelicans have some real issues moving forward cause Davis is only under contract for one more year. They need to see if they can build around him, something they have been phenomenally unsuccessful at doing thus far. I am guessing he wants out as he has given them 7 years already and they rarely even sniff the playoffs. He's about to enter his prime and probably wants to start playing for rings.

If the Pelicans deal Davis in the off-season (Danny Ainge is waving his arms furiously hoping to get their attention) they might decide to bet on Jah. But, if they hold onto Davis, then Jah's usefulness is limited and I doubt the team wold use cap space to tie up a guy who is going to play maybe 15 minutes a game for them... unless they decide Jah and Brow can play together, which I am skeptical about.

Personally, I think the Pelicans should deal Davis now. Why wait until the summer and have him help you play your way toward the end of the lottery rather than taking the tank down as low as you can go? See if Boston will give you 3 or 4 future picks as well as Tatum (they won't) then settle for Jaylen Brown instead. Here is the deal that should get made TODAY!

Celtics get The Brow as well as Frank Jackson. Pelicans get Scary Terry, Smart, Brown, and cap filler Aron Baynes plus the Pelicans also get the Sacramento pick in the 2019 Draft and perhaps the Clipper pick that the Celtics own. Celtics hold onto the Memphis pick they own that gets more valuable every year (it won't convey this year unless it is outside the top 8, it won't convey next year if it is outside the top 6 it is unprotected in 2021 and Memphis suuuuuucks).

I've been pretty plugged in to the Celtics all year, and the rumblings I've been hearing lately are that Tatum is on the table in a potential Davis swap. The Pelicans aren't interested in Brown. His trade value has tanked this year.

Jah is averaging 17 mins., 8.6 points, 5.8 RBs, 0.8 assists, 1.1 blocks. This is the mark of a player who really contributes -- past defensive deficiencies notwithstanding. This translates into per 35 minute stats of 17 points, 12 rebounds and over two blocks. Would such a player -- in his fifth NBA season -- even play for the minimum of $1.567 million when NBA salaries are so much higher? It seems like there would be all the makings of a longer term deal with the Pels or someone else.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Zion = already an NBA all star according to Reggie Miller

This may not be 100% on topic for this thread (this year at least), but last night during the surprisingly competitive Warriors/Wizards game, Reggie Miller listed who he thinks should be eastern and western conference All Star reserves, and on both lists he included Zion (as a Knick and as a Sun). Pretty funny stuff, and just more evidence of Zion taking the basketball world (including the NBA) by storm this year.

https://clutchpoints.com/knicks-news...with-new-york/

And thus . . . I stand by my previous post. Jahlil Okafor's future career prospects look much better than Jabari Parker's. Okafor's going to get a decent contract this off season. Jabari probably will not.
    I feel like this point has been thoroughly untangled by people more knowledgeable than me about NBA contracts etc., but Jah's contract includes a team option for somewhat north of $1M for next year. So, unless the Pelicans feel like being generous for no apparent reason Jah will still make more money next year than i am likely to make in my life, but a "decent contract" does not seem like a sure thing. As for Jabari, as was stated by others, the Bulls are in tank mode and playing a guy who can score for a scoring-challenged team does not help them tank. Jabari's still a talented offensive player, even if he doesn't do defense. He'll get paid, and probably pretty well. Perhaps the epic career-shaking smackdown he's receiving this year will wake him up to the fact that he should probably start caring about defense.
    Next year doesn't necessarily define the rest of either's career, but i would be surprised if Jah makes more than Jabari next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I feel like this point has been thoroughly untangled by people more knowledgeable than me about NBA contracts etc., but Jah's contract includes a team option for somewhat north of $1M for next year. So, unless the Pelicans feel like being generous for no apparent reason Jah will still make more money next year than i am likely to make in my life, but a "decent contract" does not seem like a sure thing. As for Jabari, as was stated by others, the Bulls are in tank mode and playing a guy who can score for a scoring-challenged team does not help them tank. Jabari's still a talented offensive player, even if he doesn't do defense. He'll get paid, and probably pretty well. Perhaps the epic career-shaking smackdown he's receiving this year will wake him up to the fact that he should probably start caring about defense.
    Next year doesn't necessarily define the rest of either's career, but i would be surprised if Jah makes more than Jabari next year.
    I addressed this already. You basically said the exact same thing Jason did. I meant to say Jah will make more in free agency.

I addressed this already. You basically said the exact same thing Jason did. I meant to say Jah will make more in free agency.
    yes, the discussion moved quickly as i wrote my post. And yes, i attributed those thoughts to other people, who happened to be Jason. What you meant and what you said were different, which is why they garnered attention and responses.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    yes, the discussion moved quickly as i wrote my post. And yes, i attributed those thoughts to other people, who happened to be Jason. What you meant and what you said were different, which is why they garnered attention and responses.
    I mean . . . I responded to Jason at 12:24 PM and your post was almost 5 hours later . . . but you're right, I should check out team payrolls before I post. I thought Jah was a free agent this offseason.

I mean . . . I responded to Jason at 12:24 PM and your post was almost 5 hours later . . . but you're right, I should check out team payrolls before I post. I thought Jah was a free agent this offseason.
    I just assumed that Jason was banking on Jah having signed a 2 year deal :-)

Is the second year guaranteed or a player option or is it a team option? If it's a team option, the Pelicans will hold on to him for the minimum. Good news for Jah is that he is still very young so if he plays well through this contract, he should be able to get a solid contract after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Is the second year guaranteed or a player option or is it a team option? If it's a team option, the Pelicans will hold on to him for the minimum. Good news for Jah is that he is still very young so if he plays well through this contract, he should be able to get a solid contract after next year.
    As I posted 2 days ago...

I just realized the Pelicans have an option on Oak's contract. They can pay him a measly $1.7 mil next season. Wow. I'm shocked that the market on him was so bad in the off-season that he had to sign a 2 year deal (2nd year not guaranteed) for the minimum. Whew...

Seth Curry headlines the 3pt contest at this years all star game.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...-point-contest

Quote Originally Posted by WNC View Post
    Seth Curry headlines the 3pt contest at this years all star game.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...-point-contest
    Can't wait! No coincidence that both Curry brothers are in together for the first time when the contest is held in their hometown. They should have Dell announce for it.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

As I posted 2 days ago...
    Thanks Jason, I remembered the 2 year part and the $1.7 million part...the option part I forgot. I guess my memory decided not to pick up the option on that one.

I think they would be crazy not to pick up that option. $1.7m is peanuts in NBA money and who knows what's going to happen with The Brow

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Thanks Jason, I remembered the 2 year part and the $1.7 million part...the option part I forgot. I guess my memory decided not to pick up the option on that one.

I think they would be crazy not to pick up that option. $1.7m is peanuts in NBA money and who knows what's going to happen with The Brow
    The option is apparently only guaranteed for a very small portion of the whole salary so they are pretty much going to pick it up and then see what happens later.

BIG JAH on the looooooosssse!!!

24 points, 15 boards, 3 blocked shots, and a steal (0 turnovers as well) in 36 minutes for the big fella. Wow, New Orleans is dancing about the fact they have him for another year on the NBA minimum.

-Jason "I should add that one reason I have been tracking him so much is that after he had the first big game subbing for Davis, I picked Jah up in my fantasy league... he put up a huge 47 points** for me tonight!!" Evans

**- 22 points is about average for a rostered player

cool.

Warriors guard Steph Curry will join his younger brother Seth in participating in this year's All-Star Weekend three-point shooting contest in their hometown of Charlotte, N.C.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

The only way the Celtics can trade for AD right now is to include Kyrie in the deal. That is due to the “Rose Rule”.

From the Boston Globe/Boston.com:

“NBA teams cannot trade for more than one player who has signed an extension under the “Rose Rule” — a limitation that is only applicable when the players are still on their “Rose Rule” extensions. The Celtics acquired Irving via trade in August 2017, so they cannot deal for Davis — or any other player that has signed such an extension — until Irving leaves or agrees to a new deal. Irving will become an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of this season and has expressed his intention to re-sign with the Celtics. The earliest he can do so is July 1, 2019.”