Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Quinn with 19 at the half on 7-8 (3-3 triples) shooting. GS leads by 12 without Curry and Green.
    Quinn with a big night 27 points. Steph who?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Quinn with a big night 27 points. Steph who?
    Whoa, camel!

Cook hit his first 7 shots, went 11-16 from the field and 3-5 from 3. GSW played an absolutely terrible game Thursday against the Bucks and lost big at home. Curry had a groin pull, left that game and won't be back for a few games at least. Livingston has also been out, so Cook started. He's really the only PG left on the roster. Granted, it was against the Nets on the 2nd game of a back-to-back, but he really played well. It works great when he's on the court with Durant - you can see the chemistry they have had over the years come through. Durant actually led the team in assists, but Cook did have 5 with no TOs. But he's still got a ways to go to take the 2-time MVP's job!

Quinn might end up the best nba player from the 2015 team. Winslow is okay but he still can’t shoot and Oak and Tyus are close to being busts

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Quinn might end up the best nba player from the 2015 team. Winslow is okay but he still can’t shoot and Oak and Tyus are close to being busts
    Jimmy Butler is very fond of Tyus

Tyus doesn’t have the combination of size and athleticism to project as a star in the NBA. Given that he was drafted at the end of the 1st round and gets 10-15 minutes a game, he is far from a bust. Okafor on the other hand...

Some nice love for Quinn Cook in ESPN's latest NBA power rankings:
    The Warriors are without star guard Stephen Curry due to a groin injury. But in their first game without the two-time MVP, Quinn Cook stepped up just like he did when in need last season. Cook scored a season-high 27 points and nailed three 3-pointers while dishing five assists in his first start of the season during a win over Brooklyn on Saturday. There is no question now that the former two-way player is confident in a starting role when needed.

Following the Kings' surprisingly strong start has been a fun early-season activity. Last night they beat the Spurs, breaking a long losing streak to the kings of Texas.

What stuck out was our boy Harry having a solid statistical outing...12 points and 6 boards in 16 minutes...but also 5 fouls...sheesh.

In googling for some kind of background on why he went from not playing to getting so much PT, I found this story about how he slayed in the G-League on Saturday and the momentum seems to have carried over.

https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/...-g-league-game

It would be great if the Kings rotation settled on both Marvin and Harry getting solid PT, but that may be wishful thinking in the short term. Amazing to think that you've got 3 former recent #1 ranked high schools players battling for PT off the Kings bench...Marvin, Harry and Skal Labissiere.

I thought he was a bit overlooked for his talent at the time. Everyone talked about the captain stuff, and what a great guy and great teammate he was - which is all true - but the dude can ball. He's also not at all afraid of the big moment 3 either. He's had one really good and one okay start in Curry's absence so far.

Oh, an JJ continues to light it up, and almost always with a good +/- ratio. What was Orlando thinking keeping him on the bench all those years?

I still think Tyus is the best NBA player from the 2015 team. Quinn is very good, and both guys are probably career backups, but Tyus is younger, he's a better point guard, and still could be an above average starter someday. Remember, he's only 22. He's done well when given more minutes anytime Jeff Teague has missed time. Quinn is going to play in the league for a long time, but he's very undersized as a scoring guard. He's not a guy who can be relied on to create offense at the NBA level like Tyus. Quinn's perimeter shooting is what has gotten him this far. He has truly become a great shooter.

Winslow would be a special player if only he could hit 3s. He's an elite wing defender. Someone page Chip Engelland. He's a Dukie, right? Help a brother out . . .

But don't forget Grayson. He could sneak in there and be the best pro of all those guys.

My money's on Tyus, though.
    Last edited by kAzE; 11-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Oh, an JJ continues to light it up, and almost always with a good +/- ratio. What was Orlando thinking keeping him on the bench all those years?
    That it would motivate him to learn how to defend the 2 at an NBA level?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    That it would motivate him to learn how to defend the 2 at an NBA level?
    ...that only 'splains it in part. A guy with canned heat should not have to be a shut down defender....

...that only 'splains it in part. A guy with canned heat should not have to be a shut down defender...
    Which brings us back to Jabari...

“Well, I don’t know I just stick to my strengths. Look at everybody in the league. They don’t pay players to play defense. There’s only two players, historically, who play defense. I’m not gonna say that I won’t, but to say that’s a weakness is like saying that’s everybody’s weakness. I’ve scored 30s and 20s off of guys who say they try to play defense. Well, if you know the game, you know that everyone’s a pro, right? And you know that certain guys have a (scoring) average, and no matter what you do, they still get that average. They pay people to score the ball, and I would hope that somebody scores the ball on me if they paid them that much. So, I’m not saying that’s a cop out or nothing, but it’s the NBA. We’re professionals, everybody scores. It’s just a matter of limiting them as much as you can and trying to contain them."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

“Well, I don’t know I just stick to my strengths. Look at everybody in the league. They don’t pay players to play defense. There’s only two players, historically, who play defense. I’m not gonna say that I won’t, but to say that’s a weakness is like saying that’s everybody’s weakness. I’ve scored 30s and 20s off of guys who say they try to play defense. Well, if you know the game, you know that everyone’s a pro, right? And you know that certain guys have a (scoring) average, and no matter what you do, they still get that average. They pay people to score the ball, and I would hope that somebody scores the ball on me if they paid them that much. So, I’m not saying that’s a cop out or nothing, but it’s the NBA. We’re professionals, everybody scores. It’s just a matter of limiting them as much as you can and trying to contain them."
    Defence? Defence? I mean are we talkin’ bout defence? Not offence, we talkin’ bout defence?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Defence? Defence? I mean are we talkin’ bout defence? Not offence, we talkin’ bout defence?
    Luol Deng played defence. (And has gotten kudos for it.)
    Jabari Parker never has, and never will play defense.

https://writingexplained.org/defence...nse-difference
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    "
    Actually, it doesn't bring us back to Jabari. JJ totally different usage. Besides, there is nothing specific that Jabari does as well as JJ shoots 3s.

Actually, it doesn't bring us back to Jabari. JJ totally different usage. Besides, there is nothing specific that Jabari does as well as JJ shoots 3s.
    Trying to gauge your argument. Are you saying Stan Van should have played JJ more during the early part of this contract?

That said, JJ handled his situation perfectly. Just like getting called out by K got JJ focused on conditioning, being sat by Stan got JJ focused on learning things that have helped him get to where he is.

Trying to gauge your argument. Are you saying Stan Van should have played JJ more during the early part of this contract?

That said, JJ handled his situation perfectly. Just like getting called out by K got JJ focused on conditioning, being sat by Stan got JJ focused on learning things that have helped him get to where he is.
    I am also having fundamental questions about HBCK's comment. Isn't Jabari doing better, at this stage of his career, than JJ was doing?

After 197 games Jabari has averaged 30.7 mins., 15.2 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2.0 assists.

After 222 games (JJ's first four years), he was averaging 17.2 mins. (not counting games where he rode the bench), 7.0 points, 1.5 RBs, and 1.3 assists.

All-in-all, I approve of the hagiography of JJ on this Board -- we are really proud of him -- but he was not an overnight success.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am also having fundamental questions about HBCK's comment. Isn't Jabari doing better, at this stage of his career, than JJ was doing?

After 197 games Jabari has averaged 30.7 mins., 15.2 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2.0 assists.

After 222 games (JJ's first four years), he was averaging 17.2 mins. (not counting games where he rode the bench), 7.0 points, 1.5 RBs, and 1.3 assists.

All-in-all, I approve of the hagiography of JJ on this Board -- we are really proud of him -- but he was not an overnight success.
    I think you missed my point, which may be my fault. My whole point is that JJ rode the bench way too much in Orlando. This is not like a big secret. Many people thought it at the time. His performance, on a 76er team better than the Magic teams that couldn't find minutes for him, kind of proves that Orlando did not use him enough or in the right way.

As for Jabari, totally different thing. I was not disparaging Jabari at all....just there's no comparison with how those two players are used. JJ is canned heat, designated shooter....those players are almost never required to be a defensive stopper. Jabari is an all around player. Like comparing a closer relief pitcher with a shortstop.

Precisely my point, and I think Jabari's situation is different than that.

Jabari is much better than JJ at playing basketball after two ACL reconstructions. His injuries have set him back significantly. I am amazed his is playing at the level he is.