Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Did they all ever start together at any point during the season though?
    Dunleavy, Boozer, and Deng started together three games, and lost all three.

Before that, from 2005-2007, Ewing, Brand, and Maggette started 4 games together and went 2-2.

Quote Originally Posted by SF Dukie View Post
    The Plumlees don’t shoot many three pointers but when they do- they hit nothing but the bottom of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The Plumlees don’t shoot many three pointers but when they do- they hit nothing but the bottom of the net.
    MP2's career 3FG% is not good - (1-19)= 5.3%.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    He made one? Seriously?

Sure but I'd bet those weren't legitimate 3 point attempts. Probably half court heaves or end of shot clock type attempts.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Mason Plumlee's 1st NBA 3 Pointer

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/25170309

Last night I was fortunate enough to see Mason score his first NBA 3 point shot while playing against Grayson and the Jazz.*
    It sparked a run for the Nuggets, who came from behind to win. After the game, Mason was interviewed courtside. When asked about making his first NBA after 18 missed attempts, Mason responded by saying, "First of all, several of those shots were half court heaves, so let's not call them attempts . . ." Classic -- could have been on Duke Blue Planet!

*(Grayson only played a few minutes, but it sure was good to see him on the floor!)

Whither Gary Trent Jr.?

I may have missed the news. He is on Portland's roster but has not played in a game as yet. What's going on?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I may have missed the news. He is on Portland's roster but has not played in a game as yet. What's going on?
    The Blazers signed Seth and Nik Stauskas (both to 1 yr deals) in free agency so they have 4 experienced guards in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Sure but I'd bet those weren't legitimate 3 point attempts. Probably half court heaves or end of shot clock type attempts.
    that may be true, but as has been discussed on this board before, stat keepers have great discretion about whether they actually count those types of shots as FGAs. I'm guessing that most of MP2's 3pt attempts have been legit shots, perhaps at end of shot clocks or otherwise not as a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option in an offensive set. He shot several 3s at Duke and wasn't very good in college either.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Personally, I like Semi but I have to count him as an SMU guy, not a Duke guy.
    I’m little late to this thread, but agree on Semi. After all Ben Watson (just caught a long pass for the Saints) played for Franks in 1999; but transferred to Georgia. No one considers him as a Dukie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    The Blazers signed Seth and Nik Stauskas (both to 1 yr deals) in free agency so they have 4 experienced guards in front of him.
    I think he was also unavailable at the start of the season due to a minor injury.

He dressed for the last game after injures to other players and the Timberwolves dysfunction meant that he got into tonight's game along with Luol. This is a case where not having a G League affiliate makes it harder. On other teams, he would probably be looking at least playing half the G League season along with whatever NBA games have garbage time. Assigning him is a mild hassle so they might not do so unless there's a long stretch where they don't think that they will need him.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    He dressed for the last game after injures to other players and the Timberwolves dysfunction meant that he got into tonight's game along with Luol.
    Gary Trent Jr.played his first 7 minutes of the season tonight and scored 2 points with 2 rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by SF Dukie View Post
    Gary Trent Jr.played his first 7 minutes of the season tonight and scored 2 points with 2 rebounds.
    Which makes him the 23rd Duke player to play in the NBA this year. Very impressive.

that may be true, but as has been discussed on this board before, stat keepers have great discretion about whether they actually count those types of shots as FGAs. I'm guessing that most of MP2's 3pt attempts have been legit shots, perhaps at end of shot clocks or otherwise not as a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd option in an offensive set. He shot several 3s at Duke and wasn't very good in college either.
    I'm not sure there is any discretion involved. If a player throws the ball toward the basket, it is considered a shot attempt.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/b...illy-nba-rule/

Shane Battier would often wait until after the clock ran out to shoot a desperation shot. While still with Houston, GM Daryl Morey once told Shane, "you know we don't count those against your stats". Shane's reply, "but every one else does."

It seems like players for years have refused to take them because they count against stats.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...peration-heave

Quote Originally Posted by TobaMom View Post
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/25170309

Last night I was fortunate enough to see Mason score his first NBA 3 point shot while playing against Grayson and the Jazz.*
    It sparked a run for the Nuggets, who came from behind to win. After the game, Mason was interviewed courtside. When asked about making his first NBA after 18 missed attempts, Mason responded by saying, "First of all, several of those shots were half court heaves, so let's not call them attempts . . ." Classic -- could have been on Duke Blue Planet!

*(Grayson only played a few minutes, but it sure was good to see him on the floor!)
    I've got video of this on my phone but not sure how to upload it, but on (I think) NBA 2K16 on my all Blue Devil squad I have MP2 hitting a 3. A full court 3...I was trying to throw an outlet pass and hit the wrong button on the controller. Next thing I know--bottoms. I moved the camera angle on replay after it happened to show the ref standing beside him making the call of a made 3 for proof. :P

I watched a sloppy Knicks v Bulls, 2 OT game last night. Neither team is good, but are both young and play hard, and both were on the second night of a back-to-back. The Duke in the NBA connection is Wendell and Jabari on the Bulls and Lance on the Knicks, although Lance barely played.

This is a classic case of the box score not telling the story of the game.

Wendell was very much in his Duke mode...a dominant-type presence on both ends BUT severely limited by foul trouble. Homey fouled out in 22 minutes!!! Had he been able to stay in the game, I think the Bulls would have won easily as he had 11 and 13 plus two blocks in that time period, plus his absence allowed Enes Kanter to go off for 23 points and 24 rebounds which kept the Knicks in the game.

As for Jabari, he put up 15 and 8 but he continues to appear to be a bit of a prima donna when he's not the focal point of the offense. Zach Lavine is the current go-to guy on the Bulls, and he deserves to be...the dude is very hard to stop. When they are focused on him, Jabari is relegated to "stand in the corner" mode to keep the floor spread. But, Hoiberg calls his number pretty often depending on the match-up. Last night, he was being guarded by Mario Hezonja, who is basically his mirror image in terms of offensive vs defensive focus. They'd have Jabari bring the ball up the center of the court, spread out, and let him go one-on-one. In that setting, despite the knee injuries, he still had a ton of quickness and lift for his size and he was abusing Hezonja. When they brought the double, he was effective at finding shooters, etc. I think Jabari is in the process of "getting over himself" and trying to play his role, which is a secondary or tertiary scorer who can shoulder a heavy offensive load for 3-4 minutes at a time while the primary scorers rest. I don't think he likes it right now, but I hope he continues to adapt so that he can enjoy a long career.

I know Jimmy Butler isn't the most likable star right now, but this is awesome

Butler chartered a flight for Tyus so Tyus could watch his brother play. I like Jimmy

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

A fun aspect of having so many Duke and Kentucky alumni in the NBA is the trash talk around a game like last night. I follow as many of our guys on IG as I can find and there were some very funny "stories" posted last night. Multiple players (Jah, Bagley) taking video of their TV screens and tagging their Kentucky teammates, etc.

It looks like Duke also created IG-ready posts for tons of different basketball alums and sent them on hoping that the players would post them to commemorate the start of the season and tons of them did..it was cool.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    A fun aspect of having so many Duke and Kentucky alumni in the NBA is the trash talk around a game like last night. I follow as many of our guys on IG as I can find and there were some very funny "stories" posted last night. Multiple players (Jah, Bagley) taking video of their TV screens and tagging their Kentucky teammates, etc.

It looks like Duke also created IG-ready posts for tons of different basketball alums and sent them on hoping that the players would post them to commemorate the start of the season and tons of them did..it was cool.
    Here's an article on how NBA players, including Gary Trent Jr., reacted to last night's game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.cfdee3f4d035