Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I haven't seen the stats for the whole game, but there was a stretch over the 2nd and 3rd quarters in the Bulls game in which Wendell Carter was the worst player on the floor, missing shots, turning it over, not being ready for passes, but he did get an Oboard, but missed the putback.
    Jabari was active when he was in, but didn't seem to get much done.
    Jabari had a nice first half (13 points; focus of the second unit on offense) - didn't see the second.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Jabari had a nice first half (13 points; focus of the second unit on offense) - didn't see the second.
    He looked a little like late-career Melo out there (the good and the bad).

Is preseason basketball even worth following? It's nice to see highlights. But it's a warm-up. Show me what Jabari, Wendell, and the rest can do once the games count for something.

Lengthy Article On Kyre -- Must Read

Howard Beck, long-time reporter of the NBA, has an extensive article on Kyrie up on Bleacher Report.

Opening passage, on preparing for the dance scene in Uncle Drew:

"He's like: 'I'm good. I don't need a choreographer. I can dance. I promise you guys, I can dance,'" executive producer John Fischer recalled.

But Fischer and his co-executive producer, Marty Bowen, were worried. They'd rented a nightclub in downtown Atlanta and filled it with hundreds of extras. Timing was tight.

"If he can't dance," Bowen said that night, "we're screwed."

They brought in Kyrie's body double, just in case he flopped. It was well after midnight when cameras finally rolled. Lights flashed, beats pulsed, and one by one the other players hit the dance floor. Irving was last.

"And he just steps up and nails it," Fischer said. "The man can dance. He's just a natural performer."

So make that two things the filmmakers learned that night, the second being: Kyrie Irving is profoundly unconventional. Irving thinks differently, speaks differently, plays differently and takes paths that others don't even see, both on and off the court. It's what makes him great. It's what makes him maddening.

Also, he really, really likes messing with people.

The dance routine? Irving had it down cold, long before he walked on set. He'd studied the choreographer's video for 50 minutes. He could have rehearsed and calmed everyone's nerves. He chose suspense for the fun of it.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Is preseason basketball even worth following? It's nice to see highlights. But it's a warm-up. Show me what Jabari, Wendell, and the rest can do once the games count for something.
    I don't need games to count to enjoy watching basketball, in particular Duke guys. That said, Indiana played their rotation guys for the bulk of the game so it was a reasonable glimpse at what the young Bulls could do against decent competition.

It matters a lot if you're a marginal player trying to make a squad or a second-teamer trying to move up in the rotation or a new player trying to mesh with the holdovers.

I've always compared pre-season games to minor league baseball. It doesn't matter all that much who wins the games. But player development matters very much.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It matters a lot if you're a marginal player trying to make a squad or a second-teamer trying to move up in the rotation or a new player trying to mesh with the holdovers.

I've always compared pre-season games to minor league baseball. It doesn't matter all that much who wins the games. But player development matters very much.
    But according to many on DBR, playing time doesn't matter for player development; practice does

I'm very much with you. Preseason is really important for the Amile Jeffersons of the basketball world.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I think it gets a ton of attention because of all the pent-up offseason demand, much like summer league. One unique aspect of it which occurred to me watching an OT game is that it represents, perhaps, the only opportunity for back of the bench players to play crunch time minutes in an NBA game. I was watching Knicks v Wizards at the start of preseason and the guys on the floor at the end will never sniff the floor at the end of a real close NBA game. I felt good and bad for them at the same time.

It's also the only games where the first quarter is all that matters because that's when most of the starters play and the coach is trying out rotations. Most of the rest of the game are, as others have said, tryouts for guys trying to survive the final cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Well, it's north of Va, so, yeah, Northeast.
    I've always thought of the DC area as the extreme Northwest, like Alaska.

(Hi, Gary. )
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Apparently Lakerland is going insane over this sequence from the end of their most recent preseason game where Brandon Ingram's length is on full display. Watch the entire clip... that's some scary stuff!

Best part of that is Lebron's reactions on the sideline.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    When Ingram steals the ball, watch the Laker bench go insane. Half of them start running up the court with him. You probably could have called a Tech on like 5 guys in that moment. Ha!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    When the video first starts, it's showing Ingram guarding the inbound and they are talking about the Kings leading scorers: Bagley and Giles #BrotherhoodNBA

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Howard Beck, long-time reporter of the NBA, has an extensive article on Kyrie up on Bleacher Report.

Opening passage, on preparing for the dance scene in Uncle Drew:
    The Kyrie entry is great. B/R also has an article in that series about Ingram: The Metamorphosis of Brandon Ingram.

EDIT: I see someone linked to it on 10/9. Apologies for the repeat.

Grayson seems to be playing great.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Grayson seems to be playing great.
    Yeah, Grayson with another nice efficient night, scoring 14 on 5-9 FGs. In pre-season at least, he seems to be a good backup to D. Mitchell.
    Bagley and Giles combined for 39 minutes, 29 pts, and and 21 rebs in the loss to Utah.
    Frank Jackson also had a nice night for NOLA, scoring 8 on 3-7 shooting, 2-4 from 3.

Justise Winslow and the Miami Heat have reached an extension worth 3yrs/39 million, per Woj https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050900923420164097

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    Justise Winslow and the Miami Heat have reached an extension worth 3yrs/39 million, per Woj https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050900923420164097
    git 'im while he's cheap! If $13M/yr is cheap. His defense has the potential to be all-NBA Defensive Team level, and his 3pt shot improved a bunch last year. If he could figure out how to finish at the rim 50% better he'd be near super-star caliber. Playing the 3&D role to perfection could lead him to a long and profitable career.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdevil View Post
    The third year of that deal is a team option. I think the Heat paid a slight premium in order to maintain that flexibility, which I think was wise. Justise could well outperform that contract, but if he doesn't, Miami isn't locked into anything that's going to hurt them long term. And Winslow provides so many different things, his value floor is still pretty high.

I'm sure this is the sort of deal Miami wishes it signed with Dion Waiters.

It will be hard to compensate for missing him at Duke, but I'm hoping to watch a lot of Harry Giles highlights over the next few years. There's a good compilation of his preseason assists here: https://deadspin.com/the-sacramento-...-ba-1829759015

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    It will be hard to compensate for missing him at Duke, but I'm hoping to watch a lot of Harry Giles highlights over the next few years. There's a good compilation of his preseason assists here: https://deadspin.com/the-sacramento-...-ba-1829759015
    Happy for the kid. I was not sure he would ever get his confidence back. He still has very fragile knees and is a bit stiff, but we are beginning to see the awesome talent that he possess.