Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    For an isolated DVT you don't have to stay on blood thinners very long. As for what causes them, most of the time it's one of those dunno? type medical questions, although trauma, repetitive motion, anabolic steroids, and airplane travel have all been considered as contributing factors, ie playing in the NBA. But unless Ingram turns out to have some kind of hypercoagulation disease, he should be fine.
    DVT of the upper extremity is a little different than DVT in the lower extremity. It has a much lower incidence of causing a pulmonary embolism (PE). Airplane travel, where you sit in one position for a lengthy period, is a risk factor for lower extremity DVT but should not predispose someone to DVT in their upper extremity.
    Chris Bosh had a lower extremity DVT and a PE. As far as I can tell, he then had a recurrent DVT so he was advised to be on permanent anticoagulation, thus ending his career.
    I agree that this should not end Ingram’s career unless he has a hypercoagulable state. For an isolated upper extremity DVT (usually due to the aforementioned Paget-Schroetter syndrome or idiopathic), he would probably take anticoagulants for 3-6 months. Everyone with DVT of the upper extremity likely has arm swelling, and this can last for a variable length of time. I believe he shoots with this arm so significant arm swelling might be a hindrance. I think the odds are quite good that he plays next year.

JJ Redick's Podcast with The Ringer has been mentioned before but wanted to call attention to his most recent, an interview with Chris Paul.

They discuss a couple of interesting things, including Paul's spat with Rondo and their own spat while in the ACC; Adam Silver's comments on player loneliness, and; reflections on their time as Clilppers and legacy. I also found Paul's discussion of his contrasting feisty-ness and extreme anxiety humanizing, a reminder that these guys aren't just heroes or villains in a story for our amusement...

It's worth a listen. I know these guys aren't old in the conventional sense but they've become elder statesmen of the NBA with long, respected careers. Pleasure to have watched both of them at Duke and Wake, and now.

It's only a modest 3-game winning streak so far, but Boston seems to be playing better and getting along better, in part thanks to Kyrie according to Marcus Morris (via a Boston Globe reporter):

gary washburnVerified account @GwashburnGlobe Mar 9
    Marcus Morris on #Celtics' sudden resurgence. "Ask that man right there (Kyrie Irving). His energy has just taken us to another level. He’s been great for us. Everybody been talking about how he want out and all this other [excrement], but he’s been great for us, a great leader."

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's only a modest 3-game winning streak so far, but Boston seems to be playing better and getting along better, in part thanks to Kyrie according to Marcus Morris (via a Boston Globe reporter):

gary washburnVerified account @GwashburnGlobe Mar 9
    Marcus Morris on #Celtics' sudden resurgence. "Ask that man right there (Kyrie Irving). His energy has just taken us to another level. He’s been great for us. Everybody been talking about how he want out and all this other [excrement], but he’s been great for us, a great leader."
    And now this Yahoo story today which seems to represent Kyrie wanting to stop saying so many stupid things to the media:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/kyrie-irvin...182342108.html

With this, I hope he will shut down the chatter and speak through his play. That is me saying, "Shut up and dribble" when it comes to critiquing his teammates, talking about free agency and crackpot conspiracy theories.

BOS got a big win last night over SAC last night, with both Tatum (7/10 FGs) and Kyrie having big games. Kyrie got a triple double, with 31 pts, 10 rebs, & 12 assists. In the same game, Bagley made his return, and played well, 14 & 6 on 5/9 FGs, while Giles unspectacular yet solid 4/4/4.
    Can we just stop and admire Tyus Jones for a second? His shooting %s are down across the board this year, but the dude is rock steady withe ball. Last night he went for 12 pts (6/9 FGs) and 9 assists with ZERO turnovers. For the season he has a ~7:1 a:to ratio (4.2:0.6). That's insane.
    Now, for a detour, Tyus may be a good model to view Tre thru, since Tre's strengths are also not shooting, but ball handling and defense. Still, Tre's shooting is so inferior to Tyus's that i think a lot of teams will want to see if Tre can improve his shooting before drafting him. Tre may want to follow the Trevon Duval model and not care if he can get drafted or not and just go for it. I think Tre would be well served by returning to Duke where he'll be on tv every game and get coached by the GOAT, rather than toiling in obscurity yet have the ability to work on his craft with more constancy.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    BOS got a big win last night over SAC last night, with both Tatum (7/10 FGs) and Kyrie having big games. Kyrie got a triple double, with 31 pts, 10 rebs, & 12 assists. In the same game, Bagley made his return, and played well, 14 & 6 on 5/9 FGs, while Giles unspectacular yet solid 4/4/4.
    Can we just stop and admire Tyus Jones for a second? His shooting %s are down across the board this year, but the dude is rock steady withe ball. Last night he went for 12 pts (6/9 FGs) and 9 assists with ZERO turnovers. For the season he has a ~7:1 a:to ratio (4.2:0.6). That's insane.
    Now, for a detour, Tyus may be a good model to view Tre thru, since Tre's strengths are also not shooting, but ball handling and defense. Still, Tre's shooting is so inferior to Tyus's that i think a lot of teams will want to see if Tre can improve his shooting before drafting him. Tre may want to follow the Trevon Duval model and not care if he can get drafted or not and just go for it. I think Tre would be well served by returning to Duke where he'll be on tv every game and get coached by the GOAT, rather than toiling in obscurity yet have the ability to work on his craft with more constancy.
    Was at the game. Tatum was really good but didn't play in the last quarter (I assume coming back from injury). Bagley, in his first game back, was really good. He's a lot more confident in his shot and the shot looks a lot better. He's still an incredible leaper. Giles had an awful, awful game. Lots of turnovers. Got a technical and nearly a second one.

Kyrie, on the other hand, was spectacular. He missed plenty of shots, especially from 3, but his playmaking was the best I've ever seen from him.

Kyrie is such a weird dude. I'm not sure anyone has figured this guy out. He acts like an old soul yet has way too many immaturity issues. But his ability to play basketball is undisputed.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

^agree but a lot depends how he shoots in the NCAAs. Even though Tyus showed much better consistency shooting, I still felt he was maybe 50/50 to go pro before the NCAAs. That championship game sealed the deal...

Shane Battier in drag, singing...badly...but stacking paper.

https://www.tmz.com/category/tmzspor..._Nav_TMZSports

This is an outtake from his 7th annual charity event, Battioke, which raises money for, I believe, college scholarships for those in need.

It seems to be flying under the radar that Tyus Jones is sporting an astoundingly good assist-to-turnover ratio. According to the site below, Tyus is averaging 6.6 assists per turnover, a mark that (if it stands) will be by far the best in the NBA since at least 2007.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/pla...?season_id=216

Brandon Ingram had surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. He apparently does not have a hypercoagulable state. He should play next year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/los-angeles...000431763.html

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Shane Battier in drag, singing...badly...but stacking paper.

https://www.tmz.com/category/tmzspor..._Nav_TMZSports

This is an outtake from his 7th annual charity event, Battioke, which raises money for, I believe, college scholarships for those in need.
    More on Battier, though perhaps there should be a thread for Duke players post NBA

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/03/16/sh...ames-ray-allen

Nothing to see here but Luke Kennard throwing a blind, over-his-shoulder alley oop while running out of bounds.

Yawn...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

In a bizarro world...watching the Utah Jazz vs. Washington Wizards sitting at the bar of a German restaurant in downtown Atlanta. The Jazz have been up 20 the entire 2nd half but no Grayson Allen. What gives?

P.S. Jabari has played well, including some actual defense...
    P.P.S. I love Donovan Mitchell’s game. Couple that with how he reacted when Grayson was drafted and he may be my favorite non-Duke player
    P.P.S. I love the Jazz green away jerseys

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    In a bizarro world...watching the Utah Jazz vs. Washington Wizards sitting at the bar of a German restaurant in downtown Atlanta. The Jazz have been up 20 the entire 2nd half but no Grayson Allen. What gives?

P.S. Jabari has played well, including some actual defense...
    P.P.S. I love Donovan Mitchell’s game. Couple that with how he reacted when Grayson was drafted and he may be my favorite non-Duke player
    P.P.S. I love the Jazz green away jerseys

That is all.
    Grayson has been on the road with their G League team recently. With all their injuries, they might bring him back soon, but they probably value the reps that he is getting.

JJ

Redick with 27, 8 and 10 to beat the Michael Jordan’s tonite. Love the Hornets/Bobcats missing the playoffs under Jordan’s watch.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Redick with 27, 8 and 10 to beat the Michael Jordan’s tonite. Love the Hornets/Bobcats missing the playoffs under Jordan’s watch.
    Actually if you list the stats by convention..27, 10 and 8. JJ with 9 drebs, whoa.

Bagley having himself a game so far. 17 points in 13 minutes on 8-8 shooting. Oh, and that's with 3:40 left in the 2nd quarter. I'm happy to see him bouncing back from the injury quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Bagley having himself a game so far. 17 points in 13 minutes on 8-8 shooting. Oh, and that's with 3:40 left in the 2nd quarter. I'm happy to see him bouncing back from the injury quickly.
    Bags has put up about 21 points and 10.5 rebounds per 36 minutes on the year and has been trending upward, other than his injury. If the coach hadn’t made a point of bringing him along slowly, more people would have noticed that he looks like a future all star. Wish we’d fed the beast a little more in his last game, which we did pretty well for most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Bags has put up about 21 points and 10.5 rebounds per 36 minutes on the year and has been trending upward, other than his injury. If the coach hadn’t made a point of bringing him along slowly, more people would have noticed that he looks like a future all star. Wish we’d fed the beast a little more in his last game, which we did pretty well for most of the year.
    That sounds like what I've heard about his season so far. I remember reading an article from a SAC blog (Sactown Royalty, maybe?) a few months ago saying how it was time to stop easing MBIII into the game and give him major minutes because he had proven he's ready for them. I don't have the opportunity to see SAC play much, but I've gotten the impression that he's been a pleasant surprise on the defensive end of the floor, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    This actually ended up being an exciting game. The Nets were down 25 entering the 4th quarter and then D'Angelo Russell just went off, scoring 27 points in the quarter to finish with 44 overall. He was totally unstoppable. Bagley finished with 28 points on 12-15 shooting, but had a rough end to the game - with 20 seconds left and the score tied, the Kings ran an iso play for Bagley coming out of the time out, but he had it knocked away, and then Hollis-Jefferson hit a circus shot over Bagley to win the game at the buzzer. Kings are 7 games out of the last playoff spot with 12 to play so they will be on the outside looking in after an encouraging season.