Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    two biggest complaints I got were understandably:

- beer?
    - idiotic bag policy that no other large stadium seems to need

though that's a bit of a bias given those people WERE at the game..
    Plus, despite giving out lots of free ducats and expecting a "large" crowd, two of our security lines were closed.

Our tailgate group has no problem with the "no beer sold to the masses" inside WW rule.

In the last few years, we've been to games at ND, Northwestern x2, Wake, UWa and tOSU. All had a similar but less draconian bag policy than Duke and all we had to do at tOSU last month was hold up our arms and we were admitted with no metal detectors present or emptying of pockets.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The bag policy is beyond idiotic. It takes 30 seconds to look inside a purse or bag. Security could easily set up express lanes for folks without bags and regular lanes for folks with bags. You want to bring a bag inside, no problem just wait in a longer screening line. Think outside the box -- shouldn't be too hard for a World Class University.
    Saw this after I posted my response to uh no. You are correct, Bob. Another option would be a clear one quart plastic bag like the policy Northwestern has.

The end zone sections were pretty packed.
    Because that's where the free tickets were. I say give away massive numbers of tickets on the visitors side. The view is better and the optics are better.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Because that's where the free tickets were. I say give away massive numbers of tickets on the visitors side. The view is better and the optics are better.
    Sometimes the Athletic Dept can't get out of it's own way...absolutely give the tickets away where they'll be seen on TV. DUH.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Our tailgate group has no problem with the "no beer sold to the masses" inside WW rule.
    oh i stopped at a tent for a bit before going in. to, uh, rehydrate. need to visit you guys when I'm there next.

oh i stopped at a tent for a bit before going in. to, uh, rehydrate. need to visit you guys when I'm there next.
    Yes, you really need to come visit us. We have the best tailgate going.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Yes, you really need to come visit us. We have the best tailgate going.
    Yes we do! I posted a few pics in the game thread. We set up at 8:30am, got home at 2am, and it was totally worth it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yes we do! I posted a few pics in the game thread. We set up at 8:30am, got home at 2am, and it was totally worth it.
    Newcomers like myself really appreciate the effort and quality of the food. And this one was really special. Thanks!

I'll second Bob Green's invite. PM me. I'll send you some details.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He's not kidding. We had a great crowd. Old/young folks. Long/short time members. Guests.

two biggest complaints I got were understandably:

- beer?
    - idiotic bag policy that no other large stadium seems to need

though that's a bit of a bias given those people WERE at the game..
    Everybody else seems to have chosen the NFL protocol for bags/purses. Using those standards could also be an opportunity to sell clear bags customized for Duke.

i'm too lazy to look (and I come to the games with little stuff)..what is the bag policy now?
    edit: ok, i looked, a 5x8x1 bag, eh? that's pretty crazy, i'll agree...if the TSA can deal with a quart zip lock bag, these guys should, too. But they should also do other things, like have edible concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    i'm too lazy to look (and I come to the games with little stuff)..what is the bag policy now?
    edit: ok, i looked, a 5x8x1 bag, eh? that's pretty crazy, i'll agree...if the TSA can deal with a quart zip lock bag, these guys should, too. But they should also do other things, like have edible concessions.
    Here's what bothers me in the big picture: the two most clearly competent people involved in Duke athletics are 70 plus and 65 plus respectively. One has been at Duke for 4 decades, preaching about the excellence that is Duke U. for that entire time. And yet, the athletic department still is burdened by gross incompetence, and no doubt cronyism and other unsavory internal politics. Within a few years, the two exceptional men will be gone. What will be left?

Seriously, of K and Cut can't demand these things get straightened out, who can?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Here's what bothers me in the big picture: the two most clearly competent people involved in Duke athletics are 70 plus and 65 plus respectively. One has been at Duke for 4 decades, preaching about the excellence that is Duke U. for that entire time. And yet, the athletic department still is burdened by gross incompetence, and no doubt cronyism and other unsavory internal politics. Within a few years, the two exceptional men will be gone. What will be left?

Seriously, of K and Cut can't demand these things get straightened out, who can?
    It’s been this way for at least 50 years, why do we think it’ll change in the next 50. After years of buying cheap season tickets and sitting through the Alleva years, the massive parking and water fiascos did me in. With the games on TV, I only get to a home game every couple of years and an away game also that often. The game experience, food, etc. at UVA, State and WF is more enjoyable and organized.

I really don’t think the Duke administration will focus on football game days and policies.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    It’s been this way for at least 50 years, why do we think it’ll change in the next 50. After years of buying cheap season tickets and sitting through the Alleva years, the massive parking and water fiascos did me in. With the games on TV, I only get to a home game every couple of years and an away game also that often. The game experience, food, etc. at UVA, State and WF is more enjoyable and organized.

I really don’t think the Duke administration will focus on football game days and policies.
    I don't expect it to change...that was (sadly) my point.

Duke sent me a nice questionnaire today about how I liked the game day experience, and I got to tell them for the twentieth time how well they would be served by turning concessions over to some entity that knew how to serve good and interesting food that fans might want instead of the tired, old garbage now served by amiable but unmotivated servers, and I have no doubt they'll just keep doing stuff as they've done it because inertia is a wonderful thing, as are painful run on sentences like this one.

I don't even consider buying their food, and when fans around me return to their seats clutching their purchases, I get ample reinforcement in that decision.

Duke sent me a nice questionnaire today about how I liked the game day experience, and I got to tell them for the twentieth time how well they would be served by turning concessions over to some entity that knew how to serve good and interesting food that fans might want instead of the tired, old garbage now served by amiable but unmotivated servers, and I have no doubt they'll just keep doing stuff as they've done it because inertia is a wonderful thing, as are painful run on sentences like this one.

I don't even consider buying their food, and when fans around me return to their seats clutching their purchases, I get ample reinforcement in that decision.
    Did you include your Ymm, Beer reviews about the two wonderful local brews some kind soul procured for you and delivered properly chilled outside the confines of WW?

Duke sent me a nice questionnaire today about how I liked the game day experience...
    I also received a questionnaire so I used the opportunity to voice my displeasure with the bag policy and ask for the size restrictions to be relaxed. I'm not holding my breathe.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Did you include your Ymm, Beer reviews about the two wonderful local brews some kind soul procured for you and delivered properly chilled outside the confines of WW?
    your execution of The Beer Strategy was highly commendable, and I thank you for that...as for getting beer into WW, I suspect it will be some time before the luminaries see the light.

your execution of The Beer Strategy was highly commendable, and I thank you for that...as for getting beer into WW, I suspect it will be some time before the luminaries see the light.
    when tickets are free and abundant, no beer inside WW is SOMEWHAT less of an issue.
    April 1