Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The cameras and the fans want the sun behind them.
    I get it, but put shades above the cameras or something. Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I get it, but put shades above the cameras or something. Anything.
    And I would think new technology would make this okay....and for noon games, the sun is so high anyway....a camera way up pointing down would not be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    but they only draw 13k-16k at home? I guess I'm skeptical because years ago I heard people say how NCCU would bring a bunch of folks to WW, and generally that has been far from true.
    Why do you say that (and I think the unc game you reference was in 2015)? They only draw about 16k/game at home...not sure I see a wave of Aggies invading WW...
    Just a friendly reminder that Saturday's game is SOLD OUT...

https://www.fevo.com/edp/Duke-Blue-D..._hash=JmyybqBm

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

they have tickets by the bushel load at stub hub at WELL under face value (e.g. West Side Premium for $14)...wonder how many people will actually show up?

take sold out with a grain of salt. each duke employee could request up to 4 tickets for free, and there is free food for them before the game. Don't get me wrong, it's great that people will be out for this game, and great that the players will have a crowd, but I won't expect it to be shoulder to shoulder, and the game is sold out only in the sense that the tickets are allocated for some purpose. It may be that they simply set aside 10k tickets for staff and count them as "sold" whether or not they are actually claimed (which is effectively what happens in section 17 in early games).

Either way, hope for a great crowd at kickoff and that some of them enjoy their time and come back.
    April 1

they have tickets by the bushel load at stub hub at WELL under face value (e.g. West Side Premium for $14)...wonder how many people will actually show up?
    Not sure about Duke folks (I mean - that's the whole point of this thread) BUT the AGGIES will be in the house. Technically I count for both sides.

Not sure about Duke folks (I mean - that's the whole point of this thread) BUT the AGGIES will be in the house. Technically I count for both sides.

That'll provide additional help for the attendance figures!!

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    take sold out with a grain of salt. each duke employee could request up to 4 tickets for free, and there is free food for them before the game. Don't get me wrong, it's great that people will be out for this game, and great that the players will have a crowd, but I won't expect it to be shoulder to shoulder, and the game is sold out only in the sense that the tickets are allocated for some purpose. It may be that they simply set aside 10k tickets for staff and count them as "sold" whether or not they are actually claimed (which is effectively what happens in section 17 in early games).

Either way, hope for a great crowd at kickoff and that some of them enjoy their time and come back.
    absolutely right...I smelled a rodent and went to the schedule and saw Employee Appreciation Day...have sat thru many of those, attendance definitely TBD, but there will be plenty of room for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

The link provided - was for seating behind the Aggie bench. So not for the employees. Also, the Duke ticket office sold whatever they had left. The Aggies will not be upset if we make Duke feel like a visitor in their own home. 40 minute drive for the Aggies. And quite frankly - shouldn't you guys WANT Duke employees to be at the game?

The link provided - was for seating behind the Aggie bench. So not for the employees. Also, the Duke ticket office sold whatever they had left. The Aggies will not be upset if we make Duke feel like a visitor in their own home. 40 minute drive for the Aggies. And quite frankly - shouldn't you guys WANT Duke employees to be at the game?
    I mentioned that i'm glad the'll be there. I think my point was mostly that this game is an outlier in terms of ticket distribution, and thus reported distribution may not represent either attendance at this game, nor perhaps more importantly, attendance for the rest of the season.

I suppose whether it is or isn't is largely irrelevant and we can be hopeful nonetheless
    April 1

by my experience most of those tickets given away simply aren't used...hence the eight dollar price tag on Stub Hub...if it's a decent weather day (could be the deciding factor) I could imagine the place will be about half full, maybe even low twenty thousands...

I was at a Durham Bulls game over Labor Day weekend. There were over 10,000 in attendance even though the Bulls must play something like 70 home games. Of course, not all their home games have that kind of attendance but, still, they're doing a lot better job than Duke in drawing spectators.

Here are some differences I note between the Bulls baseball games and Duke football games:
    • The Bulls are a community thing. The Blue Devils are a Duke thing.
    • The Bulls games are almost all in the evening. Many of the Duke football games are at noon.
    • Beer flows freely at the Bulls games, much of it trendy craft beer. Beer can't be purchased at Duke football games. Despite the easy access to beer, I've never seen any drunken behavior at a Bulls game.
    • Because of the design of the DBAP, you're never far from concessions and restrooms. Because of the design of Wallace Wade, those seated lower in the bowl have a bit of a climb to get to concessions and restrooms.
    • There are many goofy promotions at the Bulls games. There are cheerleaders, the Blue Devil and the band at Duke football games.
    • All the chairs have backs at the DBAP. Some chairs at Wallace Wade lack backs.
    • Other than TV monitors at the concession stands at DBAP, you can't watch the game unless you're in your seat. At Wallace Wade a fair number of people watch the game from the concourse.
    • The DBAP is surrounded by restaurants. Wallace Wade is on the edge of a college campus with only two pricey restaurants nearby both located in upscale hotels.
    • There are several large parking decks near the DBAP. No one has to walk far to get to the game. Unless you're a donor at a fairly high level you face a significant walk to get to a game at Wallace Wade.
    • Ticketing is pretty easy through the Bulls' website. It's not so easy through the Go Duke website.
    • They check through bags at the Bulls games but it's not much of a hassle. The only bag that can be brought into a Duke football game is a tiny "wristlet" that many women fans find entirely inadequate. There are bomb sniffing dogs around the entry areas at Duke but not at DBAP.
    • There is a play area for kids inside the DBAP. There is a play area for kids outside Wallace Wade.
    • Heat or rain presents some problems for a few Bulls games. At least the games are called off if there's much rain. Heat, rain and cold present far greater problems for Duke football games.
    • There's a wider variety of concessions at Bulls games than there are at Duke football games.

Obviously, there's little to be done about some of the unfavorable comparisons. Duke can't change game times to later in the day or change the shape of the bowl or add more restaurants to the area of Wallace Wade. However, I think there are things that Duke needs to do to improve the average fan experience at Wallace Wade. The major changes made to Wallace Wade a few years ago were almost 100% aimed at pleasing a few hundred high level donors. It's past time to think about the average fan experience. For that matter, they couldn't even figure out a way to provide shade for the high rollers who don't have their own private suites. Some things such as improving ticketing, selling beer and doing away with the stupid "wristlet" policy are no brainers. There are plenty of smart people in the athletic department. The existence of the "wristlet" policy ialone is proof to me that they have been giving almost zero thought to the average fan experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I

However, I think there are things that Duke needs to do to improve the average fan experience at Wallace Wade. The major changes made to Wallace Wade a few years ago were almost 100% aimed at pleasing a few hundred high level donors
    THIS ^^^....aside from removing the track and moving some seats closer to the field (or vice versa) - there was almost nothing to improve the atmosphere on the field or the average fan experience. Huge opp missed. Now it could be that the money wouldn't be there without this cow towing...and I get that people want some return on a large investment gift...so maybe without a huge alum base to fill the seats, it just is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I was at a Durham Bulls game over Labor Day weekend. There were over 10,000 in attendance even though the Bulls must play something like 70 home games. Of course, not all their home games have that kind of attendance but, still, they're doing a lot better job than Duke in drawing spectators.

Here are some differences I note between the Bulls baseball games and Duke football games:
    • The Bulls are a community thing. The Blue Devils are a Duke thing.
    • The Bulls games are almost all in the evening. Many of the Duke football games are at noon.
    • Beer flows freely at the Bulls games, much of it trendy craft beer. Beer can't be purchased at Duke football games. Despite the easy access to beer, I've never seen any drunken behavior at a Bulls game.
    • Because of the design of the DBAP, you're never far from concessions and restrooms. Because of the design of Wallace Wade, those seated lower in the bowl have a bit of a climb to get to concessions and restrooms.
    • There are many goofy promotions at the Bulls games. There are cheerleaders, the Blue Devil and the band at Duke football games.
    • All the chairs have backs at the DBAP. Some chairs at Wallace Wade lack backs.
    • Other than TV monitors at the concession stands at DBAP, you can't watch the game unless you're in your seat. At Wallace Wade a fair number of people watch the game from the concourse.
    • The DBAP is surrounded by restaurants. Wallace Wade is on the edge of a college campus with only two pricey restaurants nearby both located in upscale hotels.
    • There are several large parking decks near the DBAP. No one has to walk far to get to the game. Unless you're a donor at a fairly high level you face a significant walk to get to a game at Wallace Wade.
    • Ticketing is pretty easy through the Bulls' website. It's not so easy through the Go Duke website.
    • They check through bags at the Bulls games but it's not much of a hassle. The only bag that can be brought into a Duke football game is a tiny "wristlet" that many women fans find entirely inadequate. There are bomb sniffing dogs around the entry areas at Duke but not at DBAP.
    • There is a play area for kids inside the DBAP. There is a play area for kids outside Wallace Wade.
    • Heat or rain presents some problems for a few Bulls games. At least the games are called off if there's much rain. Heat, rain and cold present far greater problems for Duke football games.
    • There's a wider variety of concessions at Bulls games than there are at Duke football games.

Obviously, there's little to be done about some of the unfavorable comparisons. Duke can't change game times to later in the day or change the shape of the bowl or add more restaurants to the area of Wallace Wade. However, I think there are things that Duke needs to do to improve the average fan experience at Wallace Wade. The major changes made to Wallace Wade a few years ago were almost 100% aimed at pleasing a few hundred high level donors. It's past time to think about the average fan experience. For that matter, they couldn't even figure out a way to provide shade for the high rollers who don't have their own private suites. Some things such as improving ticketing, selling beer and doing away with the stupid "wristlet" policy are no brainers. There are plenty of smart people in the athletic department. The existence of the "wristlet" policy ialone is proof to me that they have been giving almost zero thought to the average fan experience.
    Concessions at Bulls games served by owner/operators. Concessions at Wallace Wade are served by unc grads.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    THIS ^^^...aside from removing the track and moving some seats closer to the field (or vice versa) - there was almost nothing to improve the atmosphere on the field or the average fan experience.
    I think you may have subconsciously blocked the old bathrooms from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    Yeah those and the splinters in my butt made the Wally Wade experience one to forget.

Just win, baby.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    ...as much as I've tried, nah, still remember those....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...aside from ...moving some seats closer to the field...
    This never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    This never happened.
    Then explain to me what the deal was with moving the track, and lowering the surface? From an article about the plans:

"The track will be gone by the beginning on the 2015 football season, and a few rows of seats will be added closer to field level."

Are you saying this didn't actually happen?